Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1816

Thread: Westport United FC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I'd agree with most of that. I'd put Ballina Town in at 13s and 16s too though
    What I saw of last years U-12's they are a good bit behind Celtic. But Celtic use the U-13 Mayo league & Cup for players who are not making it at U-14 level. I know they will put out their strongest squad for the SFAI Cup. So based on this they may well be in a with a shout. Dont know much about your U-16's how did they do last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Got wind of a rumour yesterday evening about registration fees. I received an SMS message that there was talk that the registration fees in the club in 2008 have gone up. Is this typical Westport gossip or is there substance to this? Wouldn't surprise me if it is local gossip as molehills has often turned into mountains in that rumour and gossip-orientated town.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just as well, I do not live in Liverpool, if I'm relying on an up to date news service on match reports. I could bang my head off a wall in frustration at not being able to read a report on Sunday's 4-0 win over Ballyheane. Very frustrating this. I don't know how the exiles feel about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Closing Time View Post
    What I saw of last years U-12's they are a good bit behind Celtic.
    Hardly. They were clear league leaders from day one until a change in management coincided with their first defeats with two matches left. I'd be expecting them to do the job right this season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    Hardly.They were clear league leaders from day one until a change in management coincided with their first defeats with two matches left. I'd be expecting them to do the job right this season.
    Celtic beat them easily 2-0 in Celtic Park and drew 3-3 in Ballina. I take it then they are still involved in the SFAI & Connacht cups and one of th fav to win the latter. Clearly you havent see Celtic U-12 play. Yes Ballina were very unlucky not to be crowned Mayo Champions but a league is won over a season. Celtic also beat Town 3-0 in Ballina in the play-offs.
    Last edited by Closing Time; 26/01/2008 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Joe Lawless

Does Joe Lawless still play for Westport?Rem seeing him play years ago when I was down in Westport for Summer.Thought he had potential to def make it in the League of Ireland.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullogher View Post
    Does Joe Lawless still play for Westport?Rem seeing him play years ago when I was down in Westport for Summer.Thought he had potential to def make it in the League of Ireland.
    Great player & sound lad, had the potential in my mind to have gone across the water but what ever reason club youth set up at the time, Mayo set up he never got the opportunity. Still was good enought for LOI a couple of years back but saw him last season and seems to playing in a comfort zone. Mayo Junior football is a stroll for him and it is beginning to show in his current form. Still the best defender in Mayo by a mile when playing at 75%. If he wanted he would still make it at LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ...Celtic also beat Town 3-0 in Ballina in the play-offs.
    The night after the Town played their first play-off match. But look, we will have to see when the league starts. (Sorry to Westport, don't mean to hijack your thread with non-Westport stuff!).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally Posted by west awake
    cheers leveller,if west united,my local club win there next 2 matches in the connacht cup and westport win there's,we will be away to ye!

If it happens, get the team and yourselves to take the monday off, come and join in on the post match session in OGradys pub, we have a DJ etc and then we head to the nightclub, it is great craic, I missed it last night.

west united beat arrow harps 2-1 today in sligo to book a place in the last 16 away to westport!should be a cracker
    if u got no socks,u can't pull them up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west awake View Post
    Originally Posted by west awake
    cheers leveller,if west united,my local club win there next 2 matches in the connacht cup and westport win there's,we will be away to ye!

If it happens, get the team and yourselves to take the monday off, come and join in on the post match session in OGradys pub, we have a DJ etc and then we head to the nightclub, it is great craic, I missed it last night.

west united beat arrow harps 2-1 today in sligo to book a place in the last 16 away to westport!should be a cracker
    It should be a cracker! Well done yesterday! See you in a few weeks!
    Dont always say what you know, but always know what you say.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leveller View Post
    Read the CT re objections over your proposed move to the country side.Seems the locals not to happy due to flood plains etc.Seems serious. Whats the up date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Read the CT re objections over your proposed move to the country side.Seems the locals not to happy due to flood plains etc.Seems serious. Whats the up date.
    We did expect a certain individual to object and we are not one bit surprised by his actions. Besides, nearly all the residents in that particular area welcomes our development, so this guy is actually in a minority situation. We know his politics, but we are not going to aggravate the situation here as it may compromise the club's situation with An Bord Pleanala.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    On the day of the AGM, the club is likely to have two underage teams playing: the U.12s away to Ballinasloe Town and the U.16s at home to Mervue United. Certainly would curtail the attendance of the representatives from those age groups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Looking forward to the game. Will be hi-jacked by the Spirit of '87 brigade, getting nostalgic and sentimental. Should be a home win.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster View Post
    Looking forward to the game. Will be hi-jacked by the Spirit of '87 brigade, getting nostalgic and sentimental. Should be a home win.
    i wouldn't be so confident tb,mervue and corrib rangers both beat ye in the connacht cup in the last few years and west would be a good bit stronger than those 2,there's no doubt that ye will be favourites,but this west team is improving alot and would still be in the fai junior,if arguably 3 of there best 5 players were not out injured against douglas hall who beat them on peno's,jonny o brien and brendan o connor both started for ye this year in the league,neither would get a sniff of the west starting 11 if everyone was fit,so i think it has the makings of a cracker,imo the winners of this game or athenry will win the connacht!
    if u got no socks,u can't pull them up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i wouldn't be so confident tb,mervue and corrib rangers both beat ye in the connacht cup in the last few years and west would be a good bit stronger than those 2,there's no doubt that ye will be favourites,but this west team is improving alot and would still be in the fai junior,if arguably 3 of there best 5 players were not out injured against douglas hall who beat them on peno's,jonny o brien and brendan o connor both started for ye this year in the league,neither would get a sniff of the west starting 11 if everyone was fit,so i think it has the makings of a cracker,imo the winners of this game or athenry will win the connacht!
    The only reason that BOC started is because he picked himself, he was not good enough for the squad, never mind the team. JOB in mine and others opinion not great, he has a great engine, but he gives the ball away continually, he is good for the odd goal.

The squad are now a 100% fitter outfit, with the dynamic duo back at the helm, they were playing all summer at 70% fitness with BOC.

They are ready.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The only reason that BOC started is because he picked himself, he was not good enough for the squad, never mind the team. JOB in mine and others opinion not great, he has a great engine, but he gives the ball away continually, he is good for the odd goal.

The squad are now a 100% fitter outfit, with the dynamic duo back at the helm, they were playing all summer at 70% fitness with BOC.

They are ready.
    The reason they were at 70% fitness was because thats all they needed to win the Mayo SL, same will do again this year. Best team in Mayo at the moment but Celtic are bitting at their heels, but a couple of years behind in development of their squad (still too young). If you say that they are back to their best West Utd are in for a tough afternoon.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Time will tell if you are as good as Mervue in their prime. I agree that the winner looks like coming from your half of the draw. The othe side will be either Ballinasloe, Castlebar Celtic, Corrib Rangers or Abbey. With regard injuries its all about having a decent squad to fill the gaps like Utd can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The reason they were at 70% fitness was because thats all they needed to win the Mayo SL, same will do again this year. Best team in Mayo at the moment but Celtic are bitting at their heels, but a couple of years behind in development of their squad (still too young). If you say that they are back to their best West Utd are in for a tough afternoon.
    I think it had alot to do with the manager not training them adequately. Also the players were getting away with a more active social life, a social life, which they will be allowed to have under the duo, but more moderately and when the time is right.

The Celtic squad should mature nicely over the next couple of years, this will concern Westport as there is not much talent coming through in the immediate future, at the younger age groups there is though.
    Last edited by Leveller; 01/02/2008 at 8:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    there is not much talent coming through in the immediate future, at the younger age groups there is though.

Let's hope your prophecy is correct.

Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast