Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should the EL break during WC2006?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 45.74%
  • No

51 54.26%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should eL break for the World Cup?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Where I got that? Knowing my clubs history is where. We've won 10 games out of 48 in Europe. Shels have won 6 out of 49. And we've never played a Maltese team in European competition. You did and lost.

The idea of summer football was to help ALL of our sides in Europe not just shels.

Start the season in august and end in may? Doctor we have a live one here!

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    we've never played a Maltese team in European competition. You did and lost.
    Where did I say anything about Shamrock playing a Maltese team? I don't recall Pats ever playing one either
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint
    I don't know where you get that, they had a couple of good results in the Intertoto and beat that Maltese team over two legs
    Above?

Anyway summer break is a stupid idea.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    this silly decision was taken when we thought we would be in the world cup (silly notion ) no club wants this yet it was done proberly because the FAI are of to germany ... who says the EL calls the shots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    But why was the break for the 2 weeks when the tournament is starting? Surely the logical thing is break when the tournament gets into the latter, interesting, stage?
    The main saturation of games takes place in the 1st round. By the latter stages there will be a few games remaining and less of a saturation.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Doesnt really matter there should'nt be a break anyway. Fixtures werent released til february. Ireland were out of the WC in october.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Doesnt really matter there should'nt be a break anyway. Fixtures werent released til february. Ireland were out of the WC in october.

KOH
    People are more likely to watch Poland v Ecuador tonight than they are an eL game. The eL is best to avoid competeing with the opening hype of the competition. Ireland being there or not doesn't have a whole lot to do with it. It's still the biggest watched event in the world barring the Olympics.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with your first sentence. But whats worrying is the precedent this will set. Look at next year. No WC or EC or Olympics and we sit on our hands for 3 weeks? Absolute nonsense.

I do concede that had games gone ahead there would have been a decrease in crowds but thats preferable than having no games and then needlessly stretching out the season til december.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    People are more likely to watch Poland v Ecuador tonight than they are an eL game. The eL is best to avoid competeing with the opening hype of the competition. Ireland being there or not doesn't have a whole lot to do with it. It's still the biggest watched event in the world barring the Olympics.
    Did the clubs decide or were they told?

Surely its the clubs who should decide if they're willing to risk the drop in attendence in order to avoid a situation with no money coming in for upto 5/6 weeks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls
    Did the clubs decide or were they told?

Surely its the clubs who should decide if they're willing to risk the drop in attendence in order to avoid a situation with no money coming in for upto 5/6 weeks
    I assume the clubs decide. The league hasn't been signed over to the FAI yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    I assume the clubs decide. The league hasn't been signed over to the FAI yet.
    Yeah but there's someone in charge.....does anyone actually know for definate if the clubs voted for this??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    People are more likely to watch Poland v Ecuador tonight than they are an eL game.
    Only the Polish community, and then again, only those who like football. Neutrals here, will only watch the big teams playing.

The eL is best to avoid competeing with the opening hype of the competition.
    If you want to support your club, you will go to your game, World Cup or not. Are the GAA shutting down for the World Cup? What do you think?

1,000th post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    the clubs agreed last year to a break . two months later when it was pointed out at a league meeting that we had not qualified and there was no need for the break we were told it was to late as people had booked their hols etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby
    the clubs agreed last year to a break . two months later when it was pointed out at a league meeting that we had not qualified and there was no need for the break we were told it was to late as people had booked their hols etc.
    God our league is incompetent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    if the FAI run the league your club will not be asked the views on something like this they will just decide and inform you by post, lets not kid ourselves the suits in merrion sq call the shots unless the clubs kick this merger into touch and then take proper control of the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby
    if the FAI run the league your club will not be asked the views on something like this they will just decide and inform you by post, lets not kid ourselves the suits in merrion sq call the shots unless the clubs kick this merger into touch and then take proper control of the league.
    Im not saying the FAI will do any better. TBH i havn't made up my mind yet.

However how hard would it have been to have 'if we qualify we take a break and if not we don't' as an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    so easy if john d wanted it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Too Late Now :d

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    now that the break has been and gone, and the attednances thread is showing some very very poor attendances for those that clashed with world cup matches, has anyone that voted in the thread changed their mind on the issue.

the world cup certainly seems to have had an effect on the crowds, but how much of that is also down to the loss of momentum in the coverage of the league. i had voted no intitially, but i'm now inclined to think it was a good move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinR
    now that the break has been and gone, and the attednances thread is showing some very very poor attendances for those that clashed with world cup matches, has anyone that voted in the thread changed their mind on the issue.

the world cup certainly seems to have had an effect on the crowds, but how much of that is also down to the loss of momentum in the coverage of the league. i had voted no intitially, but i'm now inclined to think it was a good move.
    Yep, I voted NO and I would have to agree with you. There is a big Dublin Derby on tomorrow, Shles-V-Pats, and I have not heard a thing about it. This is one of the biggest games involving these two probably since that farcical year!
    Who Cares?!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast