Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Dr. Tony O'Neill Under 21 League 2006

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    except there is no restriction of first team appearances, as was the case with Stephen Bradley of Drogheda.
    sort of true, but anyone over 21 can only play five games for the u-21s. Otherwise they are inelligible for the junior squad. We only have one over 21 with us full time.
    pain is only temporary, glory is forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Those three players were ahead of the play when they got the ball - different thing to being offside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

semi-final?

any news on the bray cork game??

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    2-2 AET, Cork won 3-1 on penalties.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    Rather simple - offside is determined by when the ball is played, not by when you get the ball. So yes, they were beyond the last man when they got the ball, but that doesn't make them offside. I'm actually not sure about whether they were osffside when the ball was played, but the first reaction when you see a position like that is to call all the players offside, even though they mightn't have been.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    2-2 AET, Cork won 3-1 on penalties.
    Good entertaining match in front of maybe 100 spectators. Cold as you'd expect & then driving rain in the 2nd half.

City slow to start (maybe due to no games in last few weeks) & poor defending let Bray in for first goal. I thought City came back strongly & scored after nice passing move & then dominated the half with wind at their backs.

Bray came back into it in the 2nd half & scored very good goal again shortly after hitting the post with long range free kick. City again back very strongly with good equaliser.

Not so many clear chances after that. No goals in extra time. Couple of penalty saves & some poor penalty attempts & they off to Final on wednesday.

Bray looked like had some over age players but don't think City had any. Game played at very fast pace & I was impressed with fitness levels if not the overall skill. The conditions dictated that long balls into the corners were good tactical decisions as pitch heavy & strong wind.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Good entertaining match in front of maybe 100 spectators. Cold as you'd expect & then driving rain in the 2nd half.

City slow to start (maybe due to no games in last few weeks) & poor defending let Bray in for first goal. I thought City came back strongly & scored after nice passing move & then dominated the half with wind at their backs.

Bray came back into it in the 2nd half & scored very good goal again shortly after hitting the post with long range free kick. City again back very strongly with good equaliser.

Not so many clear chances after that. No goals in extra time. Couple of penalty saves & some poor penalty attempts & they off to Final on wednesday.

Bray looked like had some over age players but don't think City had any. Game played at very fast pace & I was impressed with fitness levels if not the overall skill. The conditions dictated that long balls into the corners were good tactical decisions as pitch heavy & strong wind.

Defo, a very entertaining match considering the poor conditions. Bray started much much brighter and took the lead after some very poor defending and goalkeeping from Cork, but Cork came back into it and scored a lovely goal that cut the Bray defence to bits. Cork really didn't look like scoring after that. Again Bray started the much brighter in the 2nd half and should have scored before they did. Ross Zambra smack the inside of the post from about 30 yards out with a free kick, Darren Lacey had a goal ruled out for off side and Robbie Manley drove just wide. Lacey did eventually score a quality goal beating about 5 players along the way. Cork scored with about 5 minutes to go with there only shot on target in the 2nd half. Then to penos, very poor and anyone could have won it trying to score into a strong wind, Cork's were just slightly better.

Bray had no over age players, infact many of them can still play or 2/3 seasons at that level. Bray were overall the better side and created the better chances but didn't take them. All the best to Cork in the final on Wednesday night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Did cork have many overage players, they are a fairly big squad are they??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    The only 1 i could think of is Softic, but not to sure of his age ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrayUnknowns View Post
    Defo, a very entertaining match considering the poor conditions. Bray started much much brighter and took the lead after some very poor defending and goalkeeping from Cork, but Cork came back into it and scored a lovely goal that cut the Bray defence to bits. Cork really didn't look like scoring after that. Again Bray started the much brighter in the 2nd half and should have scored before they did. Ross Zambra smack the inside of the post from about 30 yards out with a free kick, Darren Lacey had a goal ruled out for off side and Robbie Manley drove just wide. Lacey did eventually score a quality goal beating about 5 players along the way. Cork scored with about 5 minutes to go with there only shot on target in the 2nd half. Then to penos, very poor and anyone could have won it trying to score into a strong wind, Cork's were just slightly better.
    Bray had no over age players, infact many of them can still play or 2/3 seasons at that level. Bray were overall the better side and created the better chances but didn't take them. All the best to Cork in the final on Wednesday night.
    Apart from the one that nearly landed in Greystones!
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrayUnknowns View Post
    The only 1 i could think of is Softic, but not to sure of his age ?
    Think he is only 20.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Softic is only 20 or 21. he has obviously played good few first team games (although not good enough yet in my opinion) & McCarthy has played a few minutes in first team in 1 or 2 games i think.

Is Chris O'Connor not over 21?

Bray were good side but I thought they relied too much on lacey up front & some of the defenders were slow & exploited by fast forwards.

I don't think too many of our U21 side will make the move to senior squad very soon. Then again these things come in cycles when older players move on & 18 year olds get few years in U21 league. Overall the U21 league is not high enough quality & needs to be improved somehow.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Softic is only 20 or 21. he has obviously played good few first team games (although not good enough yet in my opinion) & McCarthy has played a few minutes in first team in 1 or 2 games i think.

Is Chris O'Connor not over 21?

Bray were good side but I thought they relied too much on lacey up front & some of the defenders were slow & exploited by fast forwards.

I don't think too many of our U21 side will make the move to senior squad very soon. Then again these things come in cycles when older players move on & 18 year olds get few years in U21 league. Overall the U21 league is not high enough quality & needs to be improved somehow.
    Born 7th May 1985, which makes him 21 now, but would have been eligible at start of season. Not sure but I think eligibility criteria is as long as they had not reached 21st birthday before 1 January.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    No O'Connor is only 21. I would agree though our two centre backs were a bit on the slow side, but that would have soemthing to do with neither of them actually being centre backs. Byrne is a striker and Fyurk is a right back.

Most teams rely on there strikers to get goals, but sure a midfielder also chipped in with a goal, cant ask for more than that really.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Bray looked like had some over age players
    Remeber looking at the size of some of their players - particularly the centre-halves - during our quarter final with them and thinking they were fairly big lads alright. But size can be deceptive...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    What's the story with non-league teams like Salthill? Is it under-21 teams they enter too? Fair play to them!
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So what, Salthill Devon are in the final?! Bloody hell!
    Salthill are actually a good team. They beat Cork City in the final tonight, 2-1.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A deserved victory no doubt.
    Best thing aswell is the guy who scored the winner is a die hard UTD fan who goes to most matches.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    and hes only what 16, 17?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415