Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dublin Womens Soccer League Kick Off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Dublin Womens Soccer League Kick Off

Well some interesting games played already, Peamount had a good win yesterday against Templeogue so much for the prophets of doom that have been whispering against the western dublin side. Nice to see they don't seem to have lost any of their ability to win games.

Catherines got a surprise result in dundalk drawing 1-1 on Saturday. rumours are pretty poor regarding Dundalk's demise, and remains to be seen exactly how that will shape up.

UCD overcame a good Raheny side, boasting no fewer than five recent Irish internationals (Senior & Under-19), Olivia O'Toole, Diane Caldwell, Seana Cooke, Noelle O'Brien, Bronagh Sheridan.

UCD were 3-0 (Carmel Kissane 2 & Rachel Jenkins) up after only about twenty minutes, and where in the past teams have folded, Raheny came out fighting, Olivia won a penalty and picked herself up to convert. Raheny really came into the game during the second half when Noelle O'Brien scored towards the end of the game their tails were up, as they pressed for an equaliser, Rachel Jenkins broke to finish the game off almost into injury time.

Full time score 4-2 to UCD. But i think Raheny will cause a number of surprises during the season, and Peamount, UCD and Dundalk will have to be looking over their shoulder all season.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    breifne

I spoke with some St. Catherine's officials at the game last night and they told me about the game in Dundalk. Given that only a Gordon Banks like( i.e. England V Brazil 1970 World Cup) save from Janine Pepper, in the closing second of the game, prevented Dundalk WFC from losing to St. Catherine's I think they will be looking over their shoulders at Templeogue with a view to avoiding the drop!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    i think alot of the teams have gone through some major changes in the last year bu that can only be good for the league and make it more exciting

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Are UCD still the strongest? If they are getting 4 goals against a good side it would seem so. Early days but I'd say it will be UCD again but it's difficult to predict who will be the runner-up in that division, and maybe there'l be a few surprises in the cups

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yeh, Raheny are a good side with a greatg goalkeeper in Lynn Dowling. The girlfriend plays for Stella Maris so hopefully she doesn't see me typing this
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Any word on how cup matches are going yet? Mons are in the Junior cup and got thro their first round by beating Walkinstown 5-0 yesterday. They meet St Francis in the next round. What are they like?? The whole womens league is new to us so we dont really know what teams are like.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    While Raheny lost 4-2 to UCD, the game could have swung either way as Raheny missed a number of chances to win, if not al least draw the game. Shall be a very interesting league.... Hopefully it can live up to expectations now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme
    Any word on how cup matches are going yet? Mons are in the Junior cup and got thro their first round by beating Walkinstown 5-0 yesterday. They meet St Francis in the next round. What are they like?? The whole womens league is new to us so we dont really know what teams are like.

St Francis are new to womens football too, like yourselves this is their first season - they've lost their opening two games I think?
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc
    St Francis are new to womens football too, like yourselves this is their first season - they've lost their opening two games I think?
    Full Fixtures and Results are available on
    http://www.womenssoccerireland.com

Just to let you know Adult Football has been updated, the underage should be up over the course of next weekend, and the WFAI & Leinster Cups should also be available soon. Just getting the cup info at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Great work Breifne.....one thing tho...our result is not quite rite. Goal difference could matter at the end of the season.

I see St Francis are 2 leagues above us so should be a tough enough assignment for the Mons girls in the cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Great work Breifne.....one thing tho...our result is not quite rite. Goal difference could matter at the end of the season.

I see St Francis are 2 leagues above us so should be a tough enough assignment for the Mons girls in the cup.
    I'm open to correction, but don't think goal difference comes into it, it gets settled by a play off at the end of the season. The reason its fifteen is that the system only allows us to input scores that high, call it a design flaw or whatever, but its been okay for the last three years until now.

As far as the St. Francis being two ahead indicates, i think you are in that division as they weren't aware how good or bad you would be, to be fair they are in the same boat. first season. I think you might be a division or three higher for next season if you keep pulling out results like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Aw grand....thanks for clearing that up....new to the world of womens football and still finding our feet. Cheers!

We were a bit baffled that we were put in the bottom one to be honest as we had beaten a few good teams b4 the season started. We did really well against some of the Norths finest too so we thought maybe we would have been a league higher than the one we are in. Its not fair on our girls in a way coz they just want to play football and be challenged and so far that hasnt really happened. I really hope that St Francis will push our girls to the limit.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    There was a regionalisation of the divisions also: the league that MUFC were put in consists of teams from Louth, Meath and north county Dublin as well as ourselves. There are quite a few new teams and so geographic considerations were as much of a factor as trying to match teams to divisions, as it is tough to do with new teams.
    Great work with the site Breifne, good luck with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Aw grand....thanks for clearing that up....new to the world of womens football and still finding our feet. Cheers!

We were a bit baffled that we were put in the bottom one to be honest as we had beaten a few good teams b4 the season started. We did really well against some of the Norths finest too so we thought maybe we would have been a league higher than the one we are in. Its not fair on our girls in a way coz they just want to play football and be challenged and so far that hasnt really happened. I really hope that St Francis will push our girls to the limit.
    To be fair its probably better to be in a lower division winning well than getting put into a top division and struggling, especially at the start of a club, both the club and the league will have a better idea of where to put you next year.

Best of luck, and you never know, an WFAI Junior Cup or DWSL Shield Win would look nice up in Century homes park. do you play there by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Breifne
    To be fair its probably better to be in a lower division winning well than getting put into a top division and struggling, especially at the start of a club, both the club and the league will have a better idea of where to put you next year.

Best of luck, and you never know, an WFAI Junior Cup or DWSL Shield Win would look nice up in Century homes park. do you play there by the way.
    Yeah they play at CHP so any silverware will be proudly displayed in the Clubhouse.

monutdfc.....I knew it was regionalised...but there is a Nth & Sth in each division was just wondering if we should have been put in one division higher in the Nth section obviously.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    monutdfc.....I knew it was regionalised...but there is a Nth & Sth in each division was just wondering if we should have been put in one division higher in the Nth section obviously.
    Yeah, but it's not just regionalised North/South, Inter 4 North is all sides from Louth, Meath and north County Dublin*, whereas inter 3 North has more Dublin-based teams, this was done on purpose.

*EDIT: plus ourselves of course.
    Last edited by monutdfc; 24/05/2006 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monutdfc
    Yeah, bit it's not just regionalised North/South, Inter 4 North is all sides from Louth, Meath and north County Dublin, whereas inter 3 North has more Dublin-based teams, this was done on purpose.
    Aw right.....not so bad then!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Breifne
    Full Fixtures and Results are available on
    http://www.womenssoccerireland.com

Just to let you know Adult Football has been updated, the underage should be up over the course of next weekend, and the WFAI & Leinster Cups should also be available soon. Just getting the cup info at the moment.
    Nice neat site there - good work

Though I can't seem to get in to the forum
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheny Red
    Though I can't seem to get in to the forum
    Thanks,
    yeah, doing a bit of work on the site, unfortunately it's a case of the old story, bit busy in work and have to put it on the back burner for a bit. Should be all hunky dory over the next week or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    No problem at all. I'll keep an eye on it so I can impress the girlfriend with up to date results
    Who Cares?!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast