Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unknown teenager in the squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Unknown teenager in the squad

No not that one...

Terry Dixon is a surprise choice for the Irish squad for the forthcioming friendly v Chile.

Makes sense to me though. He is highly rated and looks to be a real talent.

Could be a sneaky one by Stan too to cap him v Chile as his father is apparently still trying to persaude him to play for England but the Irish mammy from Cavan is holding sway. My understanding is that if he is capped v Chile then he is tied to us.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    Could be a sneaky one by Stan too to cap him v Chile as his father is apparently still trying to persaude him to play for England but the Irish mammy from Cavan is holding sway. My understanding is that if he is capped v Chile then he is tied to us.
    My first instinct was that it's a cynical ploy by Stan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Bobby Robson was on TV last night talking about Walcott, saying " ala d with no first team experience can't be ready for international experience"
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Lads it's only a training camp. I think it's a good idea to invite a good prospect to train with the senior team. They do it all the time at club level.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Wasn't Staunton an unknown teenager when called up by Jack for Euro '88?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Yeah its alll good and well saying that its a good idea to give a youngster a chance at a training camp , but there are plenty of other lads who have been around longer that are maybe not quite ready for international football who could have benifited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    Yeah its alll good and well saying that its a good idea to give a youngster a chance at a training camp , but there are plenty of other lads who have been around longer that are maybe not quite ready for international football who could have benifited.
    There is no limit to the size of the squad so Dixon is not taking anyone's place. Staunton has asked McCaffrey/Givens for the most impressive player at each age level. According to the Indo he won't call an U19 player up because they have important matches coming up but he will call up an U21 player after the Azerbaijan match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Bobby Robson was on TV last night talking about Walcott, saying " ala d with no first team experience can't be ready for international experience"
    Typical. I know he used to manage england and there's apparently a world cup coming up but since Bobby Robson's started working for us, he's hardly off the tv/radio talking about the england team. He should concentrate on our friendly.
    "...and it's Charlie Chaplin on the wing..."

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    i think his being born in england and there being the possibility of england pursuing him is a huge factor here, whatever Staunton may say, fair enough this may get the lad to pin his colours to the mast early and avoid debate and a disgracefull nolanesque scene later on but its a big gesture to a guy of his age who despite undoubted potential, has done nothing yet.

should he go on and earn 50 caps for us then it will be revised as an act of genius by Staunton, and should he not then, its just a training camp and a low-key end of season friendly so maybe Staunton feels he can shrug if off on those grounds

either way, there was more than one other player who could have rightfully considered themselves ahead of this guy in the queue at this time, theres definately fasttracking at play for fear of losing him, im my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The man is getting over cancer for **** sake. If somebody rings him up he is perfectly entitled to comments on issues with England
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As I said on another thread, Getting into a squad is not the the Civil Service or applying for a job. Its not done on timed worked up or service given to the Green Colours. Its done on talent. There is no such thing as someone who is entitled to be in teh squad. The manager is hired by the FAI to pick the players he thinks are best in order to be successful. If he has watched players from each age group and has seen that Dixon has real class, which I agree with having seen him a few times, then fair enough. Its Stauntons call.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Its Stauntons call.
    Agree, it's that simple. I'm sure he has good reasons.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    Have to admit the Nolan saga confused me more.
    In the (very unlikely) event of him getting capped in a friendly against Chile, is it for sure that it would tie down a teenager with dual citizenship?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    The man is getting over cancer for **** sake. If somebody rings him up he is perfectly entitled to comments on issues with England
    PLus he obviously loves his country. Oh and he knows more than anybody about preparing an English team for the World Cup.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    is it for sure that it would tie down a teenager with dual citizenship?
    Yes, a full international cap, even a friendly, ties you down permanently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    My understanding of the rules are that once you get a full cap you are tied to a country. However otherwise you can change anytime up until you are 21.

The Kevin Nolan situation is different. He played competitive U18 for England so was tied under the old rules. When the new rule was introduced FIFA held an amnesty for those who would have qualified under the new rule to switch. Kerr didn't want Nolan and it's not too clear if he wanted to switch. The amnesty is now up but many believe FIFA would make an exception.

I believe there is a case pending for one of the world cup nations - Ghana or T&T if I remmeber correctly but may be wrong here requesting an amnesty. If this succeeds then Kevin Nolan would most likely succeed IF he wants to declare.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    PR exercise by Staunton. Putting undo pressure on young kid.

I was going to suggest if was as good as suggested he'd be playing U21s but then again Don Givens "manages" them...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How can it be a PR exercise?? He has moved swifly as far as I can make out. If it was the other way aroundand Dixon was called into the English squad we would be saying "hold on he has an Irish mother , he played underage and we still let him slip through the net". Well done Stan, maybe a bit ruthless but fair play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    fair play to Stan. We are not taking him to a world cup like ING - GER - LAND are doing with Walcott it's a training camp. Hopefully the kid fulfills his potential and makes the grade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock
    If it was the other way aroundand Dixon was called into the English squad we would be saying "hold on he has an Irish mother , he played underage and we still let him slip through the net". Well done Stan, maybe a bit ruthless but fair play.
    If he was called into the England squad presumably it was because he wanted to play for England so pursuing him would be pointless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast