Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National Anthem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

National Anthem

I see they have just played the Irish national anthem before the Setanta Cup Final. Now as it is two southern teams I personally do not have a problem with it but I wonder will we hear the same complaints regarding this that we did towards Linfield supporters singing God Save The Queen?
    Last edited by David; 22/04/2006 at 6:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I see they have just played the Irish national anthem before the Setanta Cup Final. Now as it is two southern teams I personally do not have a problem with it but I wonder will we hear the same complaints regarding this that we did towards Linfield supporters singing God Save The Queen?
    I certainly wouldn't have any problem David - as long as we don't have another Ireland's Call - yuk.

Personally, national anthems bore me senseless - at least if the UK and Rep. of Ireland had a nice lively one like the Italian national anthem, it might be bearable.

Remember Billy Connolly's skit on national anthems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    That's a bizarre decision and a wrong one in my opinion. You didn't hear the Italian national anthem played before Milan and Juve in the European Cup final when they met. There should be no national anthems played in a cross border competition. Why did they do this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Now as it is two southern teams I personally do not have a problem with it but I wonder will we hear the same complaints regarding this that we did towards Linfield supporters singing God Save The Queen?
    Yes, from me you will anyway. Total disgrace. Feck off Soldiers Song like.
    Makes no sense at all.
    Well done Drogs.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Only took you three minutes after kick off to post this David.

Did the phone ring on the way to the keyboard
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I don`t see the need to play it either, but I can`t see its relevance to Linfield as
    a) they weren't playing; and
    b) playing it before the game has nothing to do with fans singing it during a match.

Personally I`ve no problem with people singing GSTQ or that other amusing throwback to the Empire, Rule Brittania.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    SHOCK HORROR

They played the Irish national anthem at a match between two Irish teams in Ireland

Where did they get a crazy idea like that..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06
    SHOCK HORROR

They played the Irish national anthem at a match between two Irish teams in Ireland

Come on Eire 06, don't try to put up a specious argument like that. It doesn't belong in the context of an international cross border competition. In soccer national anthems are reserved for national teams and national cup finals. I wouldn't expect to hear Amhrán na bhFiann at a Setanta final between two Southern teams anymore than I would expect to hear God Save the Queen at a match between Linfield and Glens. Not to mention the confusion it throws up if say Linfield met Cliftonville in a final. It's an awful can of worms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Come on Eire 06, don't try to put up a specious argument like that. It doesn't belong in the context of an international cross border competition. In soccer national anthems are reserved for national teams and national cup finals. I wouldn't expect to hear Amhrán na bhFiann at a Setanta final between two Southern teams anymore than I would expect to hear God Save the Queen at a match between Linfield and Glens. Not to mention the confusion it throws up if say Linfield met Cliftonville in a final. It's an awful can of worms.
    I just think people are making too big a deal of it..The Anthem was played get over it!
    Ya if Cork were playing Linfield there prob wouldn't be any Anthems true because it would only cause trouble. But it wasn't Linfield it was 2 Rep of Ireland teams so therefore it was perfectly acceptable to play it if they wanted to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I just think people are making too big a deal of it..The Anthem was played get over it!
    Ya if Cork were playing Linfield there prob wouldn't be any Anthems true because it would only cause trouble. But it wasn't Linfield it was 2 Rep of Ireland teams so therefore it was perfectly acceptable to play it if they wanted to
    No. It just doesn't work like that. When two clubs from the same country meet in an international tournament their national anthem is not played and this is not the GAA, we don't play the anthem at every game. The national anthem has no place in the Setanta Cup final. Given the politicial sensitivities involved in a cross border competition this just reinforces the fact that it shouldn't have been played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    The national anthem has no place in the Setanta Cup final. .
    Exactly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Another thing I'd love to see gone is that pseudo-Classical sh!te before Champions League matches.
    Too much faux-gravitas before games now anyway.
    In my day, we just went to see the game and would have laughed at such nonsense because.............cont'd page 94.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What an awful decision. Lot of ifs and buts here but if they play the national anthem of the two finalists then there would have been some craic had we reached the final. Why complicate the event with an anthem, wonder who made the call.
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    What an awful decision. Lot of ifs and buts here but if they play the national anthem of the two finalists then there would have been some craic had we reached the final. Why complicate the event with an anthem, wonder who made the call.
    I was very surprised, I have to be honest but not at all offended. The only time would be offended is if we were involved and it was played without GSTQ being given the same recognition. To be totally honest I started the thread a bit tongue in cheek. I actually thought better of it and tried to delete it after I posted it in case it started a lot of political nonsense but was unable to do so. Basically though was trying to point out that I take no offence whatsoever at it so I do not see why people should have a problem with Linfield fans singing GSTQ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It was a mistake to play the National Anthem at the final. One community is not a guest in the other's competition. Telling someone to just "get over it" is a nonsense reply. All these little acts can serve as social markers. What if some folk from the North were enjoying the competition so much, they decided to take in the final? I went to a Belfast Giants ice hockey game recently, and was relieved to find no Anthems sung beforehand, which is contrary to that sports protocol. This has resulted in the team belonging to the city, and not one community or the other. Go to a few sporting events in the US, where they play their National Anthem every time, and you'll soon wonder what's the point? Having said all that, I do miss the National Anthem and the crashing waves on television at the end of the night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Thought it was fcuking stupid myself - couldnt give a sh!te either way, but just didnt see the point of it (but each to their own and all thta)
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    SHOCK HORROR

They don't play it a League games, why play it at the final of a cross-border competition? National anthems are never played at European club matches, nor should they be.
    Last edited by Dr.Nightdub; 23/04/2006 at 1:32 AM.
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    They haved played it at league games. Whats the big deal? As long as they play it for both countries next time both are represented
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Well it shouldn't have been played tonight. It was an cross border comp and sensitive issues like these should be taken into account. However, the anthem is played at the FAI cup final and should probably be played at every round of the FAI cup IMO. Take pride in the anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by Risteard
    Total disgrace. Feck off Soldiers Song like.
    As for this post?? All I can say is.. What kind of an @sshole are you?? Its your anthem FFS. Take pride in it. And to say feck off to it is a disgrace. I can only hope you were being sarcastic or drunk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    With all the for and against nobody has mentioned the fact that tv viewers only heard about half of it due to the fact that Mr Idiot on the pitchside continued to interview after it started! Only the fact that Paul Doolin stopped talking Setanta were saved from total embarassment

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast