Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts

Training camp / Chile squad announced

Link here.

Squad in full -
    Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Newcastle United), Paddy Kenny (Sheffield United), Wayne Henderson (Brighton).

Defenders: Gary Breen (Sunderland), Ian Harte (Levante), Steve Finnan (Liverpool), Andy O’Brien (Portsmouth), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), John O’Shea (Manchester United), Stephen Kelly (Spurs), Joey O’Brien (Bolton Wanderers).

Midfielders: Liam Miller (Manchester United – on loan at Leeds United), Kevin Kilbane (Everton), Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Andy Reid (Spurs), Damien Duff (Chelsea), Graham Kavanagh (Wigan Athletic), Jonathan Douglas (Blackburn Rovers – on loan at Leeds United), Liam Lawrence (Sunderland), Alan Quinn (Sheffield United), Michael Doyle (Coventry City).

Forwards: Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Clinton Morrison (Crystal Palace), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Stephen Elliott (Sunderland), Jason Byrne (Shelbourne), Alan Lee (Ipswich Town), Aiden McGeady (Celtic), Terry Dixon (Spurs).
    Few interesting names there. Jason Byrne obviously, but Terry Dixon has come from nowhere - never even heard of him! Both are in ahead of Doherty and Connolly, whose international careers could now be over (unless they're injured...?), along with Nicky Colgan. Mark Kennedy also out - never understood that. He's only 30 or something and is a consistent performer in Division 1. Stephen Carr is on holidays but will be back in contention from then on. Anyone else missing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    McCarthy should be in there IMO. Also, surely Long is ahead of Dixon in the pecking order??! Seeing as he picked Jason Byrne Im surprised he didnt pick Gamble - he was brilliant in the setanta cup final

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    is that a joke?? terry dixon, who is behind LEE BARNARD in the pecking order at spurs has been called up to the irish international senior squad.... i think we can safely say there is NO chance of connolly, trundle, doherty or anyone else getting a chance. i cant believe it.

good to see byrne in there. now lets see what the EL is made of, he had a chance before, now he has another one.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Some strange choices there to say the least. No McCarthy, no Trundle. Obviously Staunton knows Doyle from his Coventry days but wtf is the story with Lee Dixon? Has he ever played a premiership game for Spurs? Maybe he is the only one that Staunton could get with his use of the Granny rule and this is his way of proving it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Bit of a kick in the teeth to Lee Trundle. I presume thats him done with us for good now ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    It's Terry and anyone interested in Irish football knows he is a top prospect who has done very well at under age level. His father is English and his mother is Irish, Stan may just be trying to ensure he stays in the Irish camp as his is very highly thought of at Spurs. I say cap him now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Dixon plays for the U-17s and impressed in the recent qualifying series, coming off the bench to equalise late on against Israel and playing well against Macedonia, despite not scoring. He showed real talent, and is going to be one to watch. However, as has been mentioned on the board before, he was born in London to an Irish mother and and English father, and his father reportedly wants him to declare for England. I agree with totalfootball that calling him into this meet up - not the final squad for Chile - is only to get him deeper engrained in the Irish setup. Also there are 3 other players from Spurs in the squad (Keane, Reid and Kelly, although Reid and Kelly may leave in the close season) to make the transition even smoother.
    There are glaring omissions here, McCarthy and Doherty among them, but Clinton may yet be involved in the play off final (pigs well fed and ready for take off), ditto Miller and Douglas so others may receive a late call up. As for Trundle, Swansea are in the League One play offs at the moment, so it's not too surprising he wasn't called in.
    The size of the squad is irrelevant, to be honest I expected a minimum of 30, and we know that at least 8 of these players will be dropped for Chile.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 08/05/2006 at 1:20 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Dixon plays for the U-17s and impressed in the recent qualifying series, coming off the bench to equalise late on against Israel and playing well against Macedonia, despite not scoring. He showed real talent, and is going to be one to watch. However, as has been mentioned on the board before, he was born in London to an Irish mother and and English father, and his father reportedly wants him to declare for England. I agree with totalfootball that calling him into this meet up - not the final squad for Chile - is only to get him deeper engrained in the Irish setup. Also there are 3 other players from Spurs in the squad (Keane, Reid and Kelly, although Reid and Kelly may leave in the close season) to make the transition even smoother.
    There are glaring omissions here, McCarthy and Doherty among them, but Clinton may yet be involved in the play off final (pigs well fed and ready for take off), ditto Miller and Douglas so others may receive a late call up. As for Trundle, Swansea are in the League One play offs at the moment, so it's not too surprising he wasn't called in.
    The size of the squad is irrelevant, to be honest I expected a minimum of 30, and we know that at least 8 of these players will be dropped for Chile.
    miller and douglas are both involved in play offs yet they were called up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    its unbelievable. a joke. i cant believe he aint getting hardly any stick for this. since when has a player, aged 16/17, never made a debut at their club, never even made a reserve team appearance, been chosen for a SENIOR international training camp/friendly game, of a nation with the footballing history and ability of ireland. truly shocking stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    miller and douglas are both involved in play offs yet they were called up
    I know. I mentioned them. And Clinton.
    its unbelievable. a joke. i cant believe he aint getting hardly any stick for this. since when has a player, aged 16/17, never made a debut at their club, never even made a reserve team appearance, been chosen for a SENIOR international training camp/friendly game, of a nation with the footballing history and ability of ireland. truly shocking stuff.
    I'm pretty sure Wales and the North have awarded caps, in competitive games too, to players who have not played for their club senior side. Roy Keane was calling for O'Shea to be brought to the World Cup, despite only having a handful of appearances for Man United at the time. It happens, deal with it. No one is calling for him to start against Germany, it's a reward for playing well.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 08/05/2006 at 1:28 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    if anything, england have now been alerted to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    no , i mean you say its not suprising that trundle wasnt called in, as he is in the playoffs, but so are miller and douglas and they too are in the play offs. I just think he aint gona get his chance, not with lads as good as terry dixon around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very surprised McCarthy has been left out. I always thought Doyle was under rated, it'll be interesting to see if he can step up tot the mark as he's a very busy little player.

I can't see the logic at all of bringing Dixon along. Surely plenty more worthy candidates?? Tabb, Long etc

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up Good lad Terry

I'm delighted for Terry. Saw him play against Serbia and Montenegro at Tolka a few weeks ago. He's got a lot of potential. I think people are getting too worked up over his inclusion. FFS, he's only being brought along to meet the squad and be included in the training. Mick McCarthy called up 4 or 5 novices back in 1998. The likes of Ger Crossley and Barry Quinn, who were at Celtic and Coventry respectively at the time, trained with the senior squad before the May friendly with Mexico.

In fairness, Dixon is probably behind the likes of Mark Yeates and Anthony Stokes in terms of his current potential. It would have even been a surprise if he had been called up to the Under 21s. Nonetheless, he is a very promising player and if he goes on to become a top Premiership striker, I don't think we'll be complaining about his inclusion in a training camp.

As for the full squad, I'm disappointed that Gary Breen has been included ahead of Gary Doherty and Paddy McCarthy. Doherty has finally established himself in one position and I would prefer if Staunton worked with Dunne, O'Brien, Doherty and McCarthy as our four centre-backs.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if anything, england have now been alerted to him.
    Don't worry livehead. Terry Dixon won't jump ship. He was quoted a few weeks ago as saying that he loves pulling on the green shirt.

If only a certain Southampton reject with an Irish mother was willing to show the same commitment to Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by totalfootball
    Shane Long has just won a Championship medal playing for Reading's 1st team. It is conceivable that he will be playing Premiership football next year and he might be a genuine option for the qualifying games. I don't see how Ireland's interests are best served by leaving him out in favour of a child like Dixon who is still playing children's football. If Dixon has been selected in this squad because he is not Irish-born, then I find this really insulting for Irish propects like Long who are being ignored just because they know they are Irish.
    thats exactly how i feel about this. Im not saying that we shouldnt call up inexperienced players but this is taking the ****. can someone outline what he has done in his career or this season that means that he demands a place in the squad ahead of the likes of long, stokes, trundle, keogh, hoolahan, oflynn, or even michael reddy. I think it beggars belief and anyone that things differently is conning themselves.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by totalfootball
    Shane Long has just won a Championship medal playing for Reading's 1st team. It is conceivable that he will be playing Premiership football next year and he might be a genuine option for the qualifying games. I don't see how Ireland's interests are best served by leaving him out in favour of a child like Dixon who is still playing children's football. If Dixon has been selected in this squad because he is not Irish-born, then I find this really insulting for Irish propects like Long who are being ignored just because they know they are Irish.
    Yea thats a fair point. It certainly would have made sense calling Long into the squad. Dixon is probably 15th or 16th in or strikers pecking order. However, I think Stan probably sees a young player of outstanding potential who some compare to Wayne Rooney, and he doesnt want to loose him.
    Stan perhaps sees the opportunity to bring Dixon along with 3 Spurs players, thereby providing the type of environment that will allow him to feel at ease.

And if we're honest, the only reason Aiden McGeady was given 10 minutes against Jamaica two years ago (when he had only played a couple of times for Celtic) was so that Scotland wouldn't cap him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm pretty sure Wales and the North have awarded caps, in competitive games too, to players who have not played for their club senior side. Roy Keane was calling for O'Shea to be brought to the World Cup, despite only having a handful of appearances for Man United at the time. It happens, deal with it. No one is calling for him to start against Germany, it's a reward for playing well.
    England seem to be about to do it with Walcott, bringing a guy to the world cup that has never played in the first team at Arsenal!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Total football have you ever seen Dixon playing. I think Staunton has said he has every player watched and he has made an assessment in relation to Dixon. The guy is going to be special in my view. I have seen him a few times and he has bundles of talent. If you are a manager you have to make a judgement call on what players you think will make the grade etc. Anybody who has seen Dixon play can see the guy has the potential to go to the very very top of the game.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Spurs have been keeping this kid under wraps, and have really big hopes of him. Bringing him along won't do any harm. Makes more sense than bringing the likes of Jason Byrne who will never be able to contribute to the international team.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast