Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pats & Derry as title challengers

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pats & Derry as title challengers

What's your thoughts then lads, do you think they are going to be around for the long haul this season? The League Cup defeat can be taken with a pinch of salt I reckon...

It's a very impressive run they are on and there's very little talk about them. The same might be said of Derry also. They are chipping away winning game after game while all the focus seems to be on Shels, Drogheda and Cork.

Do we have a genuine 5 way tussle for the title or are we going to see Pats and Derry run out of steam?
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    We're well used to be written off in Derry

The whole of last season we were told that we couldn't last the pace. Yet we managed to amass a points total that would have won the league any year in the last decade bar the last one.

This year is the same. We are second, a game in hand, top scorers and yet we aren't realistic challengers to most.

We're more than happy to keep it that way
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Derry are the best team I've seen this season. They completely outclassed us on Friday. It's a credit to the Bray lads we only lost 3-0...it could have been 6 or 7.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I think Derry will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, but won't win the league. Pats have surprised me this season and I think it will be between them and Cork for 4th place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el punter
    all the focus seems to be on Shels, Drogheda and Cork.

Do we have a genuine 5 way tussle for the title or are we going to see Pats and Derry run out of steam?
    It would make for another great title run in if it is all five down to the wire, that is exactly what we need and that is exactly what every fan should want, a good competitive league, hopefully there will be some great games along the way.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    The same might be said of Derry also. They are chipping away winning game after game while all the focus seems to be on Shels, Drogheda and Cork.

I had to check the date of this thread to see that it was written in 2006, rather than 2005.

As Maribor commented, everyone wrote us off last year, and suits us fine if you fools do so again this year.

Strange that you aren't questioning Drogheda, as there's genuinely more chance of them running out of steam. They were way off the pace last year, and have shown themselves incapable of registering more than a single goal in any game. That may win you cups, but not the league....

As Pacino said in 'The Devil's Advocate' : "Never let them see you coming.."

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve

Strange that you aren't questioning Drogheda, as there's genuinely more chance of them running out of steam. "
    Not disagreeing with you Steve, I'm just talking about the attention that the Drogs get over Derry. I was amazed to see Derry at 11/2 preseason having added to the squad for the league while Cork who beat them by no more than luck than tilting it their way actually had a depleted squad but were 2/1.

It's all about perception, I think Derry will be tough as nails at the business end of the race this year as they've been there while Drogheda may struggle when the title chase is on.

But yeah, I hope all five teams are there serving up a heap of exciting title deciding clashes for the last few months of the season.

With the Drogs pipping them all for us holding the 15/2 Each Way dockets
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What the League Cup did show is that we haven't got huge depth in our squad. We've been missing Colm Foley, Stephen Caffrey and Mark Rutherford for the last month or so and further injuries or suspensions will hurt us badly. On the other hand, when those three and Chris Armstrong are fit again, we'll be better set up.

I haven't seen Derry yet so can't judge, but everyone seems to be saying good things about them.

As for the other contenders, we beat Cork comfortably, came within 7 minutes of beating Shels only for them to snatch a draw (and it was them that snatched the draw, not us) and were within 3 minutes of holding Drogheda before they did their 1-0 routine.

What might make a difference is that we've all four of them twice in Richmond and only once away. Last season, when we were cráp, we won one and lost one in Cork, two draws in Drogheda and drew one and lost one in Derry, so I wouldn't be over-terrified of the away matches. Plus we've all four of them in Richmond in the third series of games.

I still go by what I said at the start of the season - all I'm looking for is a distinct improvement on the last couple of years and so far, we're getting that. For now, I'm just enjoying the relative novelty of being where we are in the table!
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    As Pacino said in 'The Devil's Advocate' : "Never let them see you coming.."
    Steve .... you're watching too much telly !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Derry are quite clearly title challengers - possibly even the favourites at this early stage (sorry Kev!). Shels are improving and should be up there, while Cork seem to be improving of late but at the moment I can't see them retaining the title. I can't see Pat's keeping up the pace, though then again, a couple of months ago I couldn't see any reason for an improvement on last year, and (cue much complaints from Drogheda fans that I have an anti-Doolin bias) I can't see Drogheda lasting the pace. They faded badly in 2004 and I think once teams work out how to play against them, they may well do the same. I think the Shels game showed their game plan isn't very suited to chasing games (unless the team in question withdraws into their shell...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stu's post just reminded me that among other things this season, we got our first win in Belfield since 1996 (when John McDonnell scored the winner). If that's not an omen, I dunno what is!
    Revenge for 2002

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    And the first Pat's goal in Belfield since the League Cup Final - 725 minutes or so of "action" without conceding!

But you think youz have it bad - 25 years since Sligo won there in the league!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I told Pineapple Stu at the start of the season that Pat's would do well and finish above us, he's still pretty insistent on writing them off. I honestly can't see Pat's putting in a sustainable challenge, but who knows? They could be this season what Derry were last season. Derry are most certainly title challengers. Out of all the games I've been to this season, they've been the best team I've seen face us. Drogs have certainly made me think twice having totally written them off before the season, but I still think they lack the all round game plan to handle going behind in a match and will drop points as the season goes on when those narrow wins turn to 0-0 draws and defeats. Shels and Cork, well, it's obviously within their potential, but they need to get the consistency together over a long period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I honestly haven't seen abetter team than us this season but nobody at Richmond expects us to be in with a shout for the league. Like Hoopdub said, we're improving and for the moment thats good enough
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Shelbourne should be in the title of this thread. Please edit mod !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I honestly haven't seen abetter team than us this season but nobody at Richmond expects us to be in with a shout for the league. Like Hoopdub said, we're improving and for the moment thats good enough
    Don't think Pats will challenge for the league!

Best team I've seen this year has been Shels. I said before the seaosn started that whoever finishes above shels will win the league, and I'll stand by that!

Derry will probably finish 2nd, though hopefully we can realistically push them for that spot. We'll give it a shot anyway!

Thought Pats did very well against us and won't be far off 4th spot and if they get a bit of luck, might even nick that spot
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was amazed to see Derry at 11/2 preseason having added to the squad for the league while Cork who beat them by no more than luck than tilting it their way actually had a depleted squad but were 2/1.
    It was a lot more than luck in fairness

I think this year will be the most open league race in ages,it really bugs me though when all you derry lads keep saying yere not getting enough attention but then totally contradict yereselves in saying that its brilliant that yere being written off.

Do ye want to be scrutinised like we are every week or would ye rather just go along quietly unnoticed??Very rarely do ya get the best of both worlds
    "They have the internet on computers now!" ,Homer Simpson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Shelbourne should be in the title of this thread. Please edit mod !
    Em, why ? When the thread is to do with whether Pats & Derry are genuine contenders.

As for the question, Derry are certainly among the favourites for the league and I don't know why anyone would question that. I'd love to say the same about Pats, but as Dr Nightdub says, strength in depth could be our problem. We're capable of staying top 5 certainly and, with Foley and Armstrong to come back, possibly even sneaking into the top 3. Don't honestly see us winning it though.

Anyway roll on Friday when Derry come to Richmond. Should be a cracker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I personally cant see why Derry were not seen as one of the favourites from the start. they had a great season last year and lost none of their squad and actually managed to bring in a few new players ie McHugh etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    Anyway roll on Friday when Derry come to Richmond. Should be a cracker.
    Cant wait to get down for it, hopefully a derry win but can see it ending 2-2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast