Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: England World Cup discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

England World Cup discussion

This is the only thread for discussions on the English team. Read the Forum Info before posting.

Any other threads started about England will be merged or deleted. Any posts which the moderators feel break rules will be deleted.

You know what not to discuss and warnings will be sent to posters who don't comply.

I'll be checking this thread 2 or 3 times a day and at the first sign of trouble it will be closed until further notice. So cmon lads, cop on.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    So, this is for english people/fans living in Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    This thread is for anybody who wants to talk sensibly about the English football team.
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Who do you all think should be in the final squad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    robinson
    james
    green

carragher
    ferdinand
    campbell
    terry
    woodgate
    neville
    cole
    bridge

king
    beckham
    gerrard
    lampard
    cole
    parker
    carrick
    hargreaves

owen
    rooney
    defoe
    crouch

will there be a similar thread about brazil ,italy germany etc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    will there be a similar thread about brazil ,italy germany etc?
    No cos people don't have personal problems with Brazilian, Italian or German history. I think it's very clear why this has to be done. There is no chance that people will bring their political opinions into a football discussion about those countries.
    Extratime.ie

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I think England will win the World Cup. Owen and Rooney up front, Beckham performing near his best again this season and a solid back line. Also, team spirit will be high after the Eriksson shenanagins.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmandmythdledge
    I think England will win the World Cup. Owen and Rooney up front, Beckham performing near his best again this season and a solid back line. Also, team spirit will be high after the Eriksson shenanagins.
    Think you could be definately right, as there no top country playin well at the moment. if they get their left side problem sorted!! i think wright philips should be given a chance. wat does everybody else think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I don't think so. Has barely played for Chelsea this season. It's a shame because Mourinho has ruined his chances. If the World Cup was last summer he would have been in the starting XI no bother, but now he's struggling to make the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmandmythdledge
    I don't think so. Has barely played for Chelsea this season. It's a shame because Mourinho has ruined his chances. If the World Cup was last summer he would have been in the starting XI no bother, but now he's struggling to make the squad.
    I agree. As a Chelsea fan, I was really excited about SWP joining and despite playing well when he gets his chance, I don't think he's good enough to play week in, week out in a full strength Chelsea team.

He was a big fish at Man City but now he's in a bigger goldfish bowl. He's more of an individual rather than a team-player, imo.
    Extratime.ie

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'm worried this year. I think they could win it.

But from what I read in the Times this morning Paraguay might be tougher than they think, and T&T got a win last night. Will watch highlights of Wales vs Paraguay later from two points of interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    The England-Uruguay match is live on BBC tonight at 7.55pm, for those interested.
    Extratime.ie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

straight talk

After to night game it would be true to say that Chelsea Boy Joe Cole has got the thumbs up to play left side were England seem to be having a problem to fill.
    He has got the suport from his manager and named Man of the match And saved English Blushes
    By the way Frank S.W.P plays on the right side Josie feels he down the pecking order.However you could have said the same about D duff Who got Man Of the Match for Ireland Joe Cole took a leaf out of the Duffer book and he flying so may be will give josie a chance because I believe Sean will turn good yet.
    Just May be Next Tuesday his night.
    So we will wait and See.
    Good luck to England in the world Cup As our country Cusions which we have alot in common We should lend a hand as we do every other sat, following there
    Clubs. I have no doubt they will make a last 4. Who no they even might win it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They havent got a hope of winning the World Cup. Not with that stockin Rio Ferdinand in the team. Did anyone see him last night? He must have ballsed things up at least 4 times. He is so over-rated its unbelievable. Carragher should get the nod ahead of him. And as for Beckham, forget about him, he cant take on a player or tackle for that matter. Last night his so called "expertise" in crossing the ball failed him aswell. Captain fantastic? I dont think so. He should have got a red card for that tackle from behind, could have done some serious damage to the Uruguayan midfielder. Wright-Phillips did alright when he came on, at least he has some pace and took on the left full every time he could, and he set up the winner. I know it was a friendly and "you cant read too much into these games" but the players on the pitch are playing for a place in the first team not just a seat on the plane to Germany.

They are 6/1 second favourites with Paddypower. Might as well make that 100/1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I would have matthew etherington on the squad. Has played all but 1 (i think) league games for west ham down the left this season, and has done a brilliant job at it too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    I would have matthew etherington on the squad. Has played all but 1 (i think) league games for west ham down the left this season, and has done a brilliant job at it too.
    He is an excellent player and a definie future England international, imo, but I think at this moment in time there are better options available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I think England squad should look like this:

GOALKEEPERS

Paul Robinson
    David James
    Robert Green

DEFENDERS

Gary Neville
    Rio Ferdinand
    John Terry
    Ashley Cole
    Jamie Carragher
    Wayne Bridge
    Sol Campbell

MIDFIELDERS

David Beckham
    Frank Lampard
    Steven Gerrard
    Joe Cole
    Kevin Nolan
    Shaun Wright-Phillips
    Stuart Downing
    Ledley King

STRIKERS

Michael Owen
    Wayne Rooney
    Darren Bent
    Peter Crouch
    Jermain Defoe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    My England XI

GK: Robinson
    RB: G. Neville
    LB: Bridge
    CB: Carragher
    CB: Terry
    RM: Gerrard
    LM: A.Cole
    CM: Lampard
    CM: Parker
    S: Rooney
    S: Owen

I know this is assuming that all players are match fit, but thats the side I'd go with if I were England manager. I think England are going to lose it because of Eriksson's inability to see past his 'chosen ones'.

Seriously Beckham hasnt performed in an England shirt in four years and I think its pretty obvious that Rooney doesn't respect him as captain, and I'd be willing to wager that the likes of Gerrard, Terry and Carragher don't either.
    I'd put Gerrard out there to spread the ball around, and so leaving Lampard to get forward as much as possible, with Scott Parker cleaning up behind him. I chose Ashley Cole on the left for three reasons. He has pace and can cross a ball, so he has the ability, and I don't think Joe Cole is up to scratch against top class players.

In defence then I'd have Wayne Bridge in there so I could him interchange with Ashley Cole going up the wing, with the other dropping back to defend. And I'd drop that lame duck Rio Ferdinand altogether, probably even from the squad, and throw the MUCH better and more versatile Jamie Carragher in to partner Terry. Since Beckham is out of the team I'd have to pick a new captain and I'd just about go with Gerrard over Terry, although either would be a good fit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    jebus,
    Agree with you on Ferdinand. Not only do I not rate him but I think that Terry needs a partner like Carvalho/Gallas and the only Englishman who fits the bill is Carra. Don't agree about Beckham. I agree he's muck but Sven won't drop his captain as Goldenballs picks the team.

England will do ok - Quarters at least maybe semis depending on the quality of opposition. Their starting XI is good but the back up is not. LF is a problem as both Ashley and Bridge are injured or will not be 100% match fit. Same applies to Owen - who is 3rd choice Crouch/Bent.

The midfield quartet of Becks/Stevie/Lamps and Joe Cole is unbalanced. Cole is right footed and Becks will drift into the middle like he did in '04. Stevie G and Lamps (whats he done recently though) are both quality but are two alike. All four are attack minded with no holding player. Most obvious player to lose out would be Becks with Gerard on the right and someone like Kevin Nolan in the middle as per your team. But Sven wont drop Beckham.

Commentators are comparing them to the 66 team with the 3 Chelsea players being compared to the 3 West Ham players of '66.

Also Liverpool are European Champions and Arsenal are in the Semis this year. HOW MANY ENGLISH PLAYERS PLAYED IN THOSE GAMES ?

Just hope it's a good tourny unlike '02 and '04.
    Last edited by stojkovic; 15/04/2006 at 1:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Don't think Beckham should be dropped. The reason, I think, for his poor England performances was that he was playing in the middle of the park for Real. He has being playing excellent for them this season on the right and I think he performance for England will improve this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic
    who is 3rd choice Crouch/Bent.
    I think it should depend on who is unavailable. If Owen can't play, then Bent should come in, although he hasn't proven himself against top defences(2 goals against top 6). If Rooney can't play then Crouch would be the obvious replacement to play with Owen, which worked well in the US last summer.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast