Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NI Passports

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

NI Passports

It's a wonder that this subject has not come up, but do you not think that it is up to the individual rather than the federation as to what passport a NI footballer bears on international duty?
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its nothing political,more to do with people representing the same country having different passports. delegates of countries seem to have suspician with this. This problem would be solved if NI,Scotish,Welsh,English and republic of Ireland passports were introduced. Heres hoping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know that and so do you but thats because we are smart . Im very happy with the current system and the players seem to be as well but the IFA have said that it is to do with paperwork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Doesn't seem a big problem. I@m sure if any player had a big enough problem with it, he wouldn't do it
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    can I ask what this is about ? What would it matter what passport a player bears as long as it is valid?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    City defender Mark Mc Chrystal is one of those caught up in this mess. AFAIK he refuses to get a British passport but can't use his Irish one. IFA are currently in contact with FIFA explaining the terms of the Good Friday Agreement (dual citizenship) e.t.c
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    City defender Mark Mc Chrystal is one of those caught up in this mess. AFAIK he refuses to get a British passport but can't use his Irish one. IFA are currently in contact with FIFA explaining the terms of the Good Friday Agreement (dual citizenship) e.t.c
    How do Derry fans feel about players opting for NI? not been provocative or anything, i wouldn't have a problem with it - just wondering is all
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    My reading of it was that the IFA were putting the players under pressure, and that it may be more to do with Political/Idealogical issues than anything else, but I could be wrong ? If they IFA are doing it for political reasons it seems a bit silly to me, as it could backfire on them with more players of a Nationalist background declaring for the Republic, which seemed to be a growing trend anyway. Also on the subject of passports, didn't some Anglos (Aldridge, Houghton etc,) travel on British passports for years while representing ROI ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan
    How do Derry fans feel about players opting for NI? not been provocative or anything, i wouldn't have a problem with it - just wondering is all
    I can only speak for myself in sayin that I am glad to see our players getting international recognition. Paddy Mc Court and Mark Mc Chrystal both opted for NI, I have been told that Mark chose NI because he didn't think he would get a cap for Republic. City players Kevin Deery, Eugene Ferry and Derry boy Darren Gibson (Man Utd) chose Republic.

I agree with TonyD in that Nationalists opting for the Republic is much more common than chooisng the six counties.

Its personal choice and although I could never do it the players must have felt that playing for NI would benefit their career. 99.9% of City fans may follow the Republic but we still feel proud of our players getting acclaim e.g Liam Coyle's NI top is framed in the Oakgrove Bar.

If only NI fans felt the same way. I remember when Darren Gibson chose Republic many posters wished career ending injuries on him on OurWeeCountry messageboard.

GFA put Dual Citizenship into legislature but obviously getting an Irish passport was available before that, when did the choice of which team to opt for become available?
    Last edited by Speranza; 27/04/2006 at 8:12 PM.
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    My reading of it was that the IFA were putting the players under pressure, and that it may be more to do with Political/Idealogical issues than anything else, but I could be wrong ?
    Have to say this is a ridiculis statement, It wasnt anything to do with politics. It was the football bodies putting the IFA under pressure. why would the IFA work so hard for football for all then go about this just for political cause.

Im delighted to see anyone from NI playing for NI and think its dissapointing that someone would choose a different country, but thats my opinion. Everyone born in NI is an equal and no matter what beliefs they have should feel secure in playing for the place of their birth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dassa
    Im delighted to see anyone from NI playing for NI and think its dissapointing that someone would choose a different country, but thats my opinion. Everyone born in NI is an equal and no matter what beliefs they have should feel secure in playing for the place of their birth
    To be fair Dassa that viewpoint is naive to the point that it would insult players of a nationalist opinion. You should stop using fluffy words to soften your jibes such as "different country". It's obvious why a player would choose not to play for NI and opt for the Republic and it has nothing to do with feeling secure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    To be fair Dassa that viewpoint is naive to the point that it would insult players of a nationalist opinion. You should stop using fluffy words to soften your jibes such as "different country". It's obvious why a player would choose not to play for NI and opt for the Republic and it has nothing to do with feeling secure.

well thats your opinion, i disagree and its not fluffy words. I thought the whole point of GFA and peace process was to create a country that we can all live in. therefore improving everything about society including the national team. If someone has a problem with NI stay with it and help us change it. Running off to play for someone else will improve nothing but thats my opinion and theres not much sense arguing about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dassa, I respect your opinion and claim to be Northern Irish but players and supporters choose the Republic as to be frank they don't think Northern Ireland should exist. It has nothing to do with improving or changing.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    My reading of it was that the IFA were putting the players under pressure, and that it may be more to do with Political/Idealogical issues than anything else, but I could be wrong ? If they IFA are doing it for political reasons it seems a bit silly to me, as it could backfire on them with more players of a Nationalist background declaring for the Republic, which seemed to be a growing trend anyway.
    Your reading of the situation is wrong, as it happens.

The IFA in no way wish to alienate any player. Howard Wells (IFA CEO) has again raised the issue with FIFA/UEFA, and explained the outworkings of the GFA and the sensitivities around identity aroused in Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland proudly field players from both main traditions at all levels. They always have, and always will.

Players are picked on their ability - nothing else!

The issue revolves around what FIFA/UEFA deem to be appropriate identification prior to matches, not about what passport a player may use for travel purposes.

Hopefully there will be a speedy resolution and common sense will prevail.

I agree with TonyD in that Nationalists opting for the Republic is much more common than chooisng the six counties.

If only NI fans felt the same way. I remember when Darren Gibson chose Republic many posters wished career ending injuries on him on OurWeeCountry messageboard.
    A cursory glance at various Northern Ireland underage teams would suggest that your assertion that more nationalists declare for the ROI than NI is somewhat inaccurate.

How many is "many" wishing career threatening injuries to young Gibson on the website you mention?

Also, the latest FIFA criteria for eligibility make for interesting reading.

FIFA have said that players can only play for a national team on the following basis:

1/ "Born on the terrority of the relelant national association" (note not country)
    2/ Parent or grandparent "born on the terrority of the relevant national association" (note not country)
    3/ Resident for 2 years "on the terrority of the relevant national association" (note not country)
    Last edited by dahamsta; 30/05/2006 at 12:59 PM.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil
    A cursory glance at various Northern Ireland underage teams would suggest that your assertion that more nationalists declare for the ROI than NI is somewhat inaccurate.

How many is "many" wishing career threatening injuries to young Gibson on the website you mention?

Also, the latest FIFA criteria for eligibility make for interesting reading.

FIFA have said that players can only play for a national team on the following basis:

1/ "Born on the terrority of the relelant national association" (note not country)
    2/ Parent or grandparent "born on the terrority of the relevant national association" (note not country)
    3/ Resident for 2 years "on the terrority of the relevant national association" (note not country)
    Well every player in the North can still play for the Republic of ireland, as the FAI is an All-Ireland body, with teams in both Northern and The Rep of Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krstic
    Well every player in the North can still play for the Republic of ireland, as the FAI is an All-Ireland body, with teams in both Northern and The Rep of Ireland.
    That's an interesting concept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil
    That's an interesting concept.
    Interesting but also true.

And on the subject of the IFA carrying out FIFA or UEFA regualtions towards passports, I note their refusal at last nights EGM to do likewise in regards to the No Playing on a Sunday rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krstic
    And on the subject of the IFA carrying out FIFA or UEFA regualtions towards passports, I note their refusal at last nights EGM to do likewise in regards to the No Playing on a Sunday rule.
    I haven't been fully briefed on last night's events as yet, but I understand that the meeting ending in complete farse, with CEO Howard Wells walking out in disgust and frustration.

Northern Ireland are, of course, scheduled to play on a Sunday during the forthcoming tour to the USA.

The stupid, archaic rule needs to be binned as soon as possible...offering clubs as much choice as possible as to when they play matches, threatens nobody.

It's all about choice and flexibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Not Barazil, where did you see those new FIFA regulations regarding eligibilty?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast