Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NI Passports

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    99.9% of City fans may follow the Republic but we still feel proud of our players getting acclaim e.g Liam Coyle's NI top is framed in the Oakgrove Bar
    Is it really as low as one in a thousand? You must have a fairly precise idea of how many Prods/ unionists/ NI fans turn up at the Brandywell?

Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    If only NI fans felt the same way. I remember when Darren Gibson chose Republic many posters wished career ending injuries on him on OurWeeCountry messageboard
    Surely the vast majority do think the same way (that is, don't want Gibson to suffer such an injury)?

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Not Barazil, where did you see those new FIFA regulations regarding eligibilty?
    FIFA Circular 901.

Great to see the Queens University Northern Ireland Supporters Club and their Derry City supporting co scholars doing their bit to enhance community relations during the week.

I believe a good time was had by all concerned, with the match ending in an honourable 2-2 draw.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 30/05/2006 at 1:00 PM.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Thanks. Thought it was opening up a huge can of worms (seeing as you didn't mention nationality) but it justs seems common sense.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dassa
    well thats your opinion, i disagree and its not fluffy words. I thought the whole point of GFA and peace process was to create a country that we can all live in. therefore improving everything about society including the national team. If someone has a problem with NI stay with it and help us change it. Running off to play for someone else will improve nothing but thats my opinion and theres not much sense arguing about it.
    The whole point of GFA was also about recognising that Northern Ireland comprises of 2 main communities with differing aspirations regarding the province, and an acceptance that both those aspirations are legitimate.

By stating that anyone born in NI should only want to play for NI, you are refusing to recognise the legitimate aspirations/identity of one half of the province. We can all live peacfeully in the north without shooting or hating each other, yet still have different ideas of where we'd like to see the province in the future, and differing loyalties regarding international football. Dismissing such legitimate aspirations as "running off to play somewhere else" is just intolerant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    ... the province...
    ... province.
    where we'd like to see the province in the future
    You've been in London too long Steve!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just as a matter of interest how many players born in the 6 counties have actually declared for the repubic in recent years?
    The only one i can think of who was stuck between the 2 was McAteer. (Liverpool born but family from Co Down so eligable for both)
    "If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better." Johan Cruyff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Alan Kernaghan (our own fault) Gerard Crossley, Darren Gibson, Mark Mckeever,Gerard Doherty. Just a few i remember sure theres more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gibson has potential to be a good player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Think his was partly our fault too as he did play in the u17's and just on that point is he 21 yet..........

Anyway back to the passports I think Wells is confused and doesn't know exactly what is happening either which really is worrying, I sense another **** up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gibson has potential to be a good player.
    Most players born in Derry, usually have one side of their family drom Donegal so that is why many declare for the Republic over N.I.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Derry born Gibson is Manu's Reserve Captain, he's 18 and looks set for a big future.

He was inlcuded in a few first team squads this year and made his debut in a league cup game.

Don't be shocked to see him loaned out to a championship side next season for some first team experience.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well there have been one or two at Women's international level from the North who declared for the Republic of Ireland. This was partly due to a decision by the IFA, some years ago for financial reasons, not to field an Under 16 International Women's team. So some players from the North at the time declared for the Republic, partly because the North did not field a team at that age bracket at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I feared that the IFA decision to scrap the u21 for the last two years would have led to a greater loss to ROI but this hasnt seemed to materialise to the level I thought, but if it had the IFA had only themselves to blame.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I feared that the IFA decision to scrap the u21 for the last two years would have led to a greater loss to ROI but this hasnt seemed to materialise to the level I thought, but if it had the IFA had only themselves to blame.
    Once Northern Ireland have capped the players at Under 19 or Under 17 level in competitive games I think they have them for life!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Letter in today's Irish Times

I read this letter in today's Irish Times, and have to say I agree with every point the guy makes:

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Carlin
    Madam, - Just when I thought that we might be witnessing the demise of sporting bigotry in the North with the mighty success of the tremendous Setanta Cup and a real possibility of an all-Ireland soccer league, just when I thought we might never again witness the vicious naked sectarianism endured by true Irish football fans during that infamous "night in November" in Windsor Park, along come the dinosaurs that are the Irish Football Association to announce that henceforth all prospective Northern Ireland players must hold a British passport.

This decision is so crass, so blatantly partisan it has set the beautiful game in the North back generations. Footballers who rightly have kept their private politics and sports separated will now be asked to state publicly whether they are de facto nationalist or unionist, Protestant or Catholic, British or Irish.

From one passport holder who received his footballing baptism in the hallowed grounds of Derry City's Brandywell, a club which has since its inception never allowed sectarianism or bigotry to taint its great sporting tradition, I unequivocally condemn the IFA for this truly awful imposition. - Yours, etc,

DONAL CARLIN, Main Street, Ballyconnell, Co Cavan.

But having read through this thread, I'm just confused about what the IFA's actual stance is on the matter - did they really announce that all Northern Ireland player's have to carry British passports? When? Who dictated this - FIFA or UEFA? As someone pointed out earlier, are the international footballing authorities not aware of the terms of the Good Friday Agreement?
    Caller to Radio 5 phone-in: There are too many foreign players in the league.
    Mark Lawrenson: Why do you think that is?
    Caller: Because there are a lot of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's nothing to do with bigotry, religion or sectarianism. More ****e of the Irish News. They just love to put the IFA and the Northern Ireland side out as sectarian bigots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftsSupporter
    It's nothing to do with bigotry, religion or sectarianism. More ****e of the Irish News. They just love to put the IFA and the Northern Ireland side out as sectarian bigots.
    To be fair SS - it's clearly a letter submitted by a named and placed individual, and therefore cannot be taken in any way as the Irish New's views. You may think they have a problem with the IFA, but you're likewise letting your personal views on the Irish News colour your judgement here.

What's more, I find nothing in that letter that I'm able to disagree with - either factually or 'morally'.

I wonder if it's the same Donal Carlin who used to work at the College in Derry....?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes it is a letter but a letter published by the paper. This passport issue was brought up because of FIFA and UEFA were getting allegedly confused by players having different passports. What’s bigotry about that? and what does it have to do with religion?

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaf1983
    I read this letter in today's Irish Times, and have to say I agree with every point the guy makes:

But having read through this thread, I'm just confused about what the IFA's actual stance is on the matter - did they really announce that all Northern Ireland player's have to carry British passports? When? Who dictated this - FIFA or UEFA? As someone pointed out earlier, are the international footballing authorities not aware of the terms of the Good Friday Agreement?
    The CEO of the IFA, Howard Wells, had a meeting with SDLP MLA, Pat Ramsey, on this issue earlier in the week. The meeting was at the request of Mr Ramsey who sought clarification on the IFA's stance.

From the IFA site.

IFA Chief Executive Howard Wells reports on a very productive meeting with Assembly Member Pat Ramsey.

And further to this meeting the IFA wishes to make the following statement:

“At the meeting at Stormont, the discussion revolved around wide ranging topics from passports to grassroots development.

“On the passport issue, Mr Howard Wells informed Mr Pat Ramsey MLA that he was in regular contact with FIFA on the matter and was expecting a substantive response within a few days.

“Both men concurred that the Good Friday Agreement should be respected by the Football Authorities and this would be their collective objective.

“Mr Wells committed to keep Mr Ramsey abreast of developments and progress on this and other matters of mutual interest”.

Seems like the Northern Ireland/IFA bashers have their wires crossed again.

Clues as to the real bigotry story of the week is to be found in the Irish News letter page today...the patriotic Gaels of Chicago have decided to overrule an invitation to the IFA and Northern Ireland team to train and "meet and greet" at their grounds next Tuesday.

How sad.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 19/05/2006 at 4:22 PM.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftsSupporter
    It's actually from the Irish Times, which is the Protestant paper in the Republic, (look at the Church notices in Saturday's edition), and, insofar as I am aware, has no agenda whatoever regarding the IFA or the Northern Ireland side.

As someone who went to the British embassy in Ballsbridge a fortnight ago to renew my British passport (I could carry an Irish passport, having an Irish wife and having resided in the State for seven years, but choose to retain my English identity), I would agree with the letter.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast