Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Names on world Cup tickets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Names on world Cup tickets

Interesting angle from Ballter here. Looks like the Germans were serious about names on tickets. FIFA make noises every time but never carry through the threat. Looks like the Germans took them at their word this time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slu...ters&type=lgns

FIFA tackling ticket concerns

By Tim Collings

ZURICH, April 25 (Reuters) - Little more than six weeks before the start of the World Cup finals, FIFA said on Tuesday they were still hoping to resolve potential ticketing problems in talks with hosts Germany.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter admitted there were causes for concern, particularly over the issue of 'transferred' tickets and potential security problems.

ADVERTISEMENT

"There needs to be some talking and we need to find some flexibility on this issue," Blatter told reporters when asked about problems arising if a ticket-holder gave, or sold, his ticket to a family member or friend.

The German host organisers have demanded that all ticket-holders present identification at the stadium to prove that they are the same people as those whose names and identity appear on the tickets.

"It is a problem between the German interior ministry on the one side and the other people on the other," said FIFA general secretary Urs Linsi.

Linsi pointed out that there would be serious problems outside the stadiums if fans turned up with tickets but incorrect identification at the security gates.

On racist behaviour, Blatter said FIFA would do everything possible to encourage fans to behave properly and from the quarter-finals team captains would broadcast a message in the stadium asking for discipline and respect.

Blatter repeated his view on Monday's ruling by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in relation to FIFA's differences with WADA, the world anti-doping agency.

He believed the ruling endorsed FIFA's position as correct and generally in line with Swiss law.

On football's progress after his 30 years with FIFA, Blatter said he was happy with the game at international and grass roots level but not with the professional club game in Europe.

He criticised G14, the European clubs organisation, but felt they had no chance of winning any of the three court actions in which they are involved in in Belgium, France and Switzerland.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Got my tickets and yes the names are on the tickets together with a "chip" of sorts. However, the last world cup i was at USA 94 and the names were on the tickets then as well. How will they check the name against the person, there is no way they can make you carry ID and the sheer volume of people at each game will make it impossible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock
    Got my tickets and yes the names are on the tickets together with a "chip" of sorts. However, the last world cup i was at USA 94 and the names were on the tickets then as well. How will they check the name against the person, there is no way they can make you carry ID and the sheer volume of people at each game will make it impossible.
    They claim the chips don't carry personal data.

Effectively yes they do require you to carry id. Not sure here but it may be the law in Germany to do so at all times.

Ironic thing here is that FIFA and UEFA say for every major tournament that they will check the names on tickets against id and they never do. It is in an effort to combat touts. Now when the Germans threaten to do it Blatter rows back and warns them not to do so.

In reality FIFA have no worries about people swopping tickets among friends and families.

Anyway a study for Japan showed it would take 9 hours to check a stadium for id. Looks like the Germans will be told now not to do spotchecks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Was at WC in Japan/Korea where the tickets also carried your name. Never once was asked for ID, I'd imagine it would only be asked for in a situation where they thought someone was banned from games or if they were looking for a reason to keep ya out!
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As a matter of interest when did your tickets arrive? I'm was expecting mine to arrive around now but nothing so far

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    They have never ever checked names on tickets.

Had Ireland TSTs for Japan/Korea and they did not even check names when collecting 2nd round tickets. We had the correct ones anyway not that it mattered.

Tickets have been arriving over the past 2 weeks - you get an e-mail with your tracking number. My brother and uncle are still waiting o ntheirs

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Got them DHL delivered today, but got an email last week to say they would be delivered this week. Good service in that respect but feel the allocation of tickets has been more than a little haphazard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Got my tickets for Portugal v Mexico today with individual names on all the tickets. As I applied seperately for three games, DHL have to make three seperate deliveries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Got my tickets for Czech Republic V Italy yesterday. I cant see them checking every ticket. they will probably do spot checks every now and then.

Oh ya anyone got tickets to Italy v Ghana in Hannover that they wanna sell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can't really imagine that they will systematically check every and each ticket although with Germans you never know.
    I think there will be particular attention for games involving teams posing " a threat" like England (althought the vast majority of the fans behave well). Once your bad reputation is made it is difficult to get rid of it.
    "Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get."
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting article here in the Guardian the other day. So basically try not to 'stand out' too much and leave your rocket launcher at home!

http://football.guardian.co.uk/break...810529,00.html

Germans defend World Cup ticketing amid FIFA concerns
    BERLIN, May 9 (Reuters) - Germany has defended its plans for tight ticket controls at the World Cup finals after FIFA president Sepp Blatter expressed concerns that extra checks could lead to chaos and lengthy delays for fans.

Wolfgang Niersbach, vice president of the World Cup organising committee, on Tuesday rejected Blatter's fears that the government's security procedures could lead to queues outside the 12 stadiums in Germany.

"There will not be any bottlenecks at the entry controls," Niersbach said. "We have reassured FIFA on this issue."

Blatter said on Monday he was still concerned that the measures -- designed to ensure security at the finals -- could lead to chaos at the event which kicks off on June 9.

In addition to checks for banned objects, including umbrellas and extra-large flags, spectators will then have their tickets checked by officials.

The Interior Ministry is insisting that all ticket holders present identification at the stadium to prove they are the same people as those whose name appears on the tickets.

"In some of the stadiums there are over 200 entrances," Niersbach said. "Over 1,500 officials will be working. Identity papers will only be asked for on a random basis in cases where the spectator stands out."

"It is true that for this eventuality, everyone should carry their identity papers with them. We recommend that people get to the stadium in good time," he added.

The German organisers of the tournament have spent millions of euros trying to ensure that troublemakers are kept out of the stadiums. Niersbach said the tough entry measures were part of efforts to prevent hooliganism or a terror attack.

"The decision to record everyone's name was a preventative measure," he said, adding that it had been successful in preventing many known hooligans from getting tickets.

"If a rocket is fired from block 17, row 12, seat 35 then we know who it was," Niersbach said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    "In some of the stadiums there are over 200 entrances," Niersbach said. "Over 1,500 officials will be working. Identity papers will only be asked for on a random basis in cases where the spectator stands out."

This is good news.

This is effectively a climbdown and Blatter appears to have got his way.

Ironic really as FIFA say for every tournament they will check names and never do. Suddenly the Germans take them seriously and there is chaos.

I'm all for combatting the touts but stopping my brother and I from swopping tickets is ridiculous.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Inevitable. Not practical to inspect every persons tickets. Also what about banning extra large flags? Most of the Germans have enormous flags. More BS.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    there is no way they can make you carry ID and the sheer volume of people at each game will make it impossible.
    It is obligatory to carry your ID in Germany, I have a friend worknig out there and he had to get an identity card issued by the government which he carries everywhere. Apparently if you are stopped without having your ID on you the police will take you to where your passport is!