Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PFA Player of the year- Steven Gerrard

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PFA Player of the year- Steven Gerrard

No surprise there then. Another excellent season from him. Best midfielder in the premiership.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation G-Force!!

What a diamond of a lad also. Over the moon for him.
    Mens sana in corpore sano

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well deserved

Well deserved by Stevie G. Had to be between him & Henry for it for me. Henry is looking likely to finish top scorer in the premiership yet again this year. Had he not won two years running it might have gone the other way but Stevie desereves it too so fair play.

Very surprised at the young player award (although not really surprised) - thought it had to go to either Bent or Fabregas & possibly even Lennon before Rooney.

Rooney is a smashing player and one I admire but I think I've seen better seasons from him than this one. Bent's performances have been outstanding and Fabregas has been brilliant all season, one of the real bright sparks when Arsenal were playing so badly early on.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't know if it has been Stevies best year since he became a pro,but it's just a case of his fellow players rewarding him for 4 or 5 consistantly excellent seasons.Henry is more influential at arsenal than gerrard at liverpool,but steve deserves it at least once.
    Chamon Mothafcuka......he heeee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DolansWaistcoat
    I don't know if it has been Stevies best year since he became a pro,but it's just a case of his fellow players rewarding him for 4 or 5 consistantly excellent seasons.Henry is more influential at arsenal than gerrard at liverpool,but steve deserves it at least once.
    I would agree with that. I actually thought he was better last season but it's like you say, he's being rewarded for being consistently excellent for the last few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The timing of the voting is usually around January or Feb so that influences the voting. I actually think Gerrard has been quiet the last couple of months. Its nearly judge on a calender year than a season.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Awful decision. Way more deserving would be (INO) Lampard, Terry, Henry, Rooney, Given, Harewood and probably one or two others. He got it for the champions league win last season.

Gerrard's the most over rated player in the world
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Awful decision. Way more deserving would be (INO) Lampard, Terry, Henry, Rooney, Given, Harewood and probably one or two others. He got it for the champions league win last season.

It's player of the year, not season and Harewood only played 4 full months of 2005 in the premiership. Gerrard has done more than Lampard, bar score as much goals. Gerrard is a better player than Lampard too. Winning the CL along just puts Gerrard ahead of the rest imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    You're wrong, its player of the season. Doyle won the award for the first division
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Lampard is the most over rated player in the world, you'll find. Anonymous again on Saturday, big games don't suit the badge kisser.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I had a feeling this would develop into a who's better scenario. The thing is Lampard was outstanding up until Christmas IMO but has been quiet for the last few months especially on the goals front.

Henry had a very quiet spell which coincided with Arsenal going on a very poor run although I have since read somewhere that he has carried an Achilles injury for most of the season.

Rooney is outstanding in fits and bursts but not consistent enough IMO to be considered for a prize like this yet.

Harewood , yes he's had a great first season in the top flight but if I was going to go for an outsider then I would have Darren Bent ahead of him.

Given, outstanding yet again but let's face it, it would have to be a pretty amazing season for a goalkeeper to win Player of the Year ahead of the above talent amongst others.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You're wrong, its player of the season. Doyle won the award for the first division
    Did he?I thought he just got on the team of the Championship,outstanding if it's true,add another couple of million to his name if someone wants to buy him.
    Chamon Mothafcuka......he heeee.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    IMO, Gerrard only got it because it was a really poor season over all in the premiership. No team shone through. No player was above and beyond the rest. As somebody else mentioned, these awards were a confidence booster to the English lads heading off to the world cup. Give Gerrard player of the year and Rooney young player of the year and it might inspire them to great things in the summer.
    The premiership is gone stale, end of. The sooner the better the barstoolers realise that and start coming out to watch real football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It's player of the year. The votes were cast in January.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover 2 U
    IMO, Gerrard only got it because it was a really poor season over all in the premiership. No team shone through. No player was above and beyond the rest. As somebody else mentioned, these awards were a confidence booster to the English lads heading off to the world cup. Give Gerrard player of the year and Rooney young player of the year and it might inspire them to great things in the summer.
    The premiership is gone stale, end of. The sooner the better the barstoolers realise that and start coming out to watch real football.
    give us a break will ya. The awards are voted by fellow players & last time I checked quite a few of them were foreigners. How do you figure its a confidence boosting exercise for the english lads? The guys they play against week in & week out voted for them so its a very well deserved honour.
    you are only a loser when you stop trying. Playing sport does not build character, it reveals it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dead right papa lad!!

Bitter boy from Glenmalure never knows when to pipe down!!
    Mens sana in corpore sano

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover 2 U
    IMO "real football" as you put it, is watching Barcelona or anyone that plays a good passing game instead of humping it up the park. Unfortunately you don't see a lot of it these days....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gerard and Henry are streets ahead of anyone else in the Premiership at this time and Gerard won out because he led a team to the Champions League and rightly so, if Arsenal had won it then Henry won have got the vote. How anyone can compare Lampard to these two is beyond me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ......Gerrard's the most over rated player in the world...
    Definitely wins the award for Daft Comment of the Year!

Like it or not, Gerrard is a world class player. There is not a team in the world he would not be a first choice for.

Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    It's player of the year. The votes were cast in January.
    Doyle won the PFA Fans Player of the Month award for the Championship in January. The PFA Fans Player of the Year will not be announced until May.

There is no players Player of the Year Award for the Championship but Doyle made the PFA Championship Team of the Year.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    Very surprised at the young player award (although not really surprised) - thought it had to go to either Bent or Fabregas & possibly even Lennon before Rooney.
    Rooney's really been the key player for a Man Utd team that's scored 79 points with three games left - enough to win the league most years. When he's played his best, they've been excellent. Bent had a very good season, as has Fabrigas, but it doesn't surprise me to see Rooney get it.

Gerrard has been similarly dominant for a very good Liverpool side. Again. I used to snigger at the English commentators drooling over a young Gerard, because he clearly wasn't the player they thought he was. He is now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast