Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: P*sser Dignam's Field

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts

P*sser Dignam's Field

You learn something new every day. It's a good quiz question. What sporting ground in Ireland was formerly known as Pysser (phonetics) Dignam's Field". The answer is in the site below:

http://www.dalymounttrust.org/dalymount2.htm

An interesting thing about the article is the best team of players ever to have played at Dalyer:

BEST INTERNATIONAL XI TO PLAY AT DALYMOUNT PARK (4-4-2)
    Jan Tomaszewski (Poland 1977), Laurent Blanc (France 1989), Franz Beckenbauer (West Germany 1966), Gaetano Scirea (Italy, 1985), Ronald Koeman (Holland 1983), Zbigniew Boniek (Poland 1984), Zinedine Zidane (Bordeaux 1993), Ruud Gullit (Holland 1983), Pele (Santos 1972)
    Gerd Muller (West Germany 1975), Marco Van Basten (Holland 1983)

SUBS: Oleg Blokhin (USSR, 1974), Marco Tardelli (Italy, 1985), Willy Van Der Kerckhof (Holland, 1983), Paolo Rossi (Italy, 1985), Bixente Lizarazu (Bordeaux, 1993), Giuseppe Bergomi (Italy, 1985), Paul Gascoigne (Spurs, 1990)

I saw them all except I think Beckenbauer . I am sure there were better keepers than Tomaszewski who was primarily famous for the heroic night he kept England at bay in a WC qualifer at Wembley.

The best Irish team at Dalyer that I've seen there:

Alan Kelly snr (Preston), Brennan and Dunne (Man U), McGrath (Man U) and Lawrenson (Liverpool); Brady (Arsenal), Giles (Leeds), Keane (Man U), Houghton* (Liverpool), Stapleton (Arsenal) & Givens (QPR)

*Can't remember if he ever played at Dalymount. Pretty sure he must have in the early days.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 05/05/2006 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Did Blokhin and Lev Yashin play on the same team? Did Yashin (arguably the greatest keeper ever) play at Dayler?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Depends when they gave up. I suspect Yashin retired well before Blokhin came on the scene. Only one played against Ireland. No sign in the first game I remember:

Wednesday, October 18, 1972

The mighty Soviets squeak a win - their first and last on Irish soil!

World Cup qualifier

Lansdowne Road, Dublin

Republic of Ireland 1 (Conroy)
    Soviet Union 2 (Puzach, Kolotov)

Ireland: Alan Kelly (Preston North End) capt, Joe Kinnear (Tottenham Hotspur), Tommy McConville (Waterford), Eoin Hand (Portsmouth), Tommy Carroll (Birmingham City), Noel Campbell (Fortuna Cologne), Mick Martin (Bohemians), Eamonn Rogers (Charlton Athletic), Steve Heighway (Liverpool), Ray Treacy (Swindon Town), Terry Conroy (Stoke City)

Subs: Mick Leech (Shamrock Rovers) for Rogers 62 mins

Manager: Liam Tuohy

Soviet Union: Pilgui, Dzodzvashvili, Khurtsilava, Kapilchny, Lovchev, Kolotov, Muntyan, Semenov, Fedotov, Puzach, Euruzhikhin

Not much of an Irish team then. Bigger improvement 4 years later.

The teams for the Don Givens hat trick game in 1976 were as follows:

Republic of Ireland 3 (Givens 3)
    Soviet Union 0

Ireland: Paddy Roche (Manchester Utd), Joe Kinnear (Tottenham Hotspur), Paddy Mulligan (Crystal Palace), Terry Mancini (Arsenal), Jimmy Holmes (Coventry), Mick Martin (Manchester Utd), Johnny Giles (Leeds Utd) capt, Liam Brady (Arsenal), Steve Heighway (Liverpool), Ray Treacy (Preston North End), Don Givens (QPR)

Sent off: Terry Mancini

Manager: Johnny Giles

Soviet Union: Pilgui, Nikulin, Kaplichny, Olchanski, Lovchev, Matvienko, Kolotov, Veremeyev, Onischenko, Fedotov, Blokhin

So Blokhin was playing but I suspect Yashin had retired by then. I was at both games and the later 1-0 victory at a half empty Lansdowne some years later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Not much of an Irish team then. Bigger improvement 4 years later.

The teams for the Don Givens hat trick game in 1976 were as follows:

Republic of Ireland 3 (Givens 3)
    Soviet Union 0
    That game was in 1974, I remember it well.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc
    That game was in 1974, I remember it well.
    Glad to see I am not the only old fogey on this Board

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Glad to see I am not the only old fogey on this Board
    Hey, speak for yourself, I was only twelve at the time and it was the first international I went to without "adult" supervision.

We "took" a half day off from primary school and walked to Dalymount as money was tight. Admission was 25p cash at the gate though I recall being lifted over the stile allowing us to get a bus into town after the game and another home to Ballyfermot.

Got into trouble next day at school for going on the hop, even more so as the Brothers didn't approve of association football.

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Hey, speak for yourself, I was only twelve at the time and it was the first international I went to without "adult" supervision.

We "took" a half day off from primary school and walked to Dalymount as money was tight. Admission was 25p cash at the gate though I recall being lifted over the stile allowing us to get a bus into town after the game and another home to Ballyfermot.

Got into trouble next day at school for going on the hop, even more so as the Brothers didn't approve of association football.
    That's almost word for word the type of thing I have to listen to regularly in the pub - you can probably guess from who.....and he's not on his own.

That and "Did you know I saw the Clash twice in one day?" Yes, I know 'cos you're always bloody telling me. It can be tough being a "youngster" of 36 when you hang out with old fogies in their late forties.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    That's almost word for word the type of thing I have to listen to regularly in the pub - you can probably guess from who.....and he's not on his own.

That and "Did you know I saw the Clash twice in one day?" Yes, I know 'cos you're always bloody telling me. It can be tough being a "youngster" of 36 when you hang out with old fogies in their late forties.

KOH
    Same applies to you WAR, I know your mate may be in his late forties but not me, at least not for a few years yet.

Maybe it's a generational thing, "when we were young we got up to ........."

Seriously I can't see many of today's kids getting away with or indeed even trying 10% of what we did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    So it's to be sold. Another field of dreams of my youth disappears.

Greatest memories:

Rovers 3 Waterford 0 in the FAI CUp Final with the place packed and Mick Leech patting Peter Thomas on the head. Is that Leech playing EL football a relation of his I wonder.

Ireland 3 Soviet Union 0 with the Don Givens hat trick.

And many many more - how I wasn't crushed to death on many occasions I'll never know but for atmosphere there was nothing to beat it when there was a full house.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Is that Leech playing EL football a relation of his I wonder.
    Mark Leech is Mick's son.....come home Mark, you know you want to!

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Admission was 25p cash at the gate though I recall being lifted over the stile allowing us to get a bus into town after the game and another home to Ballyfermot.
    Lifted over, I suppose I can admit it now, I was a persistent style hopper at Dalymount, (Landsdowne rd there was a choice wall climbing or hopping the styles), I needed my busfare. Never dared it at Croker

Besides the crushes, the gates bursting open v. France, is the people shimmying up on top of the shed, the announcer vainly telling them to come down, I mean, where could they go?
    P!sser Dignam's field, appropriate name, explains that unique smell at International games
    i'm glad for Bohes that they get a good deal. Their supporters built up the place for Irish socccer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    i'm glad for Bohes that they get a good deal. Their supporters built up the place for Irish socccer.
    Not in my day they didn't (1970s). They were very poorly supported and I reckon it was the international gate receipts and cup finals which kept the place ticking over. They were an amateur side for many years - can't remember when they went professional.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    As late as the late 70s, wasn't it?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Not in my day they didn't (1970s). They were very poorly supported and I reckon it was the international gate receipts and cup finals which kept the place ticking over. They were an amateur side for many years - can't remember when they went professional.
    They built the place out of their own funds. I remember something about the cost of the floodlight installation ( 60 lux) nearly bankrupted them.
    So poorly supported yes, but what other club had the balls to go ahead and build our theatre of dreams.
    Why do you think they got the gate receipts from the international games and cup games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    1969 - If not the first, the certainly one of the first professionals was Dinny Lowry.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm probably a bit of a luddite but I'm saddened to see the end of Dalymount. Fantastic aura about the place. I was last there a couple of years ago for the Bohs champions league games where they were knocked out by Rosenborg but won against Bate (is this right) 3-0. Seem to remember 9,000 or so there ??? Hope this isn't another Glenmalure fiasco.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    Why do you think they got the gate receipts from the international games and cup games?
    I said the gate receipts helped to keep the place ticking over - Bohs built the place themselves ok. I assume they got a share of the gate receipts from the big games.

Unlike the Kilcoynes who sold Milltown purely for money without an alternative ground lined up, one hopes that the Bohs' management have a viable plan in Castleknock lined up but what sort of stadium can you build for 40 million ?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I said the gate receipts helped to keep the place ticking over - Bohs built the place themselves ok. I assume they got a share of the gate receipts from the big games.
    Unlike the Kilcoynes who sold Milltown purely for money without an alternative ground lined up, one hopes that the Bohs' management have a viable plan in Castleknock lined up but what sort of stadium can you build for 40 million ?
    We can assume Dalymount ticked over as it was still there in the 70's
    For a bunch of amateurs the club made a remarkable contribution with the stadium that was Dalymount.
    Then the FAI walked and moved the big games over to Landsdowne in the early 70's.

The new site plus 10,000 seater stadium is valued at €20m.
    SFI http://www.sportsfi.com/sfi.htm
    are building Drogheda's new stadium for €1,000 per seat
    http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stor...=12&si=1536654
    I'd assume that Bohes stadium is something similar.