Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cillian Sheridan (F Inverness Caledonian Thistle b.1989)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Thanks Joe, those links caught the moments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Thumbs up

Nice one Joe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think this says it all about how raw Sheridan is.

Strachan:
    “He’s a very intelligent young lad but he’s not had enough coaching since he’s been here because of injuries.

“There are things we want to do with him but we can’t do too much at the one time because cramming all that information into a few weeks wouldn’t be healthy for him.

“We’ve got to give him bits and bobs that might help him during games. He’s an intelligent lad and on Monday and Tuesday we had a look at some of the stuff he did on Saturday.

He took all that in and there was an improvement, his movement was better on Wednesday than it was on Saturday.”

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I dont think he was caught offside once against Killie on the Weds but on the previous Sat against Motherwell, he was caught offside numerous times.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    won a penalty today for celtic. the challenge was actually outisde the box but he was still a threat in the game and looks really settled in the team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Foot.ie! Should Cillian Sheridan be given a chance?

When do ye think it would be appropriate to give young Sheridan a chance with Ireland? Would it best best to blood him in a B game first or should he be thrown in with the seniors and see how he gets on? On hhis form of late he wouldn't be out of place....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Just scored for Celtic after coming on as sub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Long or Folan would be both be better than Sheridan.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    lets be honest, the scottish league is rubbish. cant read to much into these performances.

from what i saw against man united in the champions league, this guy is nowhere near the finished article. its good to see him getting games and scoring goals but i dont think he would add a whole lot at the moment

Good physique and tries hard but he would be better left to concentrate on learning his trade at celtic and commanding a regular place. none of their strikers are that great so if he is any good, he shouldnt have to wait too long to be a regular. then international honours will certainly follow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He's still not ready for international level. 2 years ago he was playing for Belvadere. 6 months later he made his debut for Celtic having hardly played in the reserves. Since then he's been injured more often than he's been fit. He's 19 but he just hasn't played enough games. He really hasn't played much at reserve level even. At least someone like Stokes had built up 50 or 60 games for Arsenal's reserves and world class training week in week out before moving to Falkirk.

I don't know what it is with Sheridan. We've seen a lot of players play first team football at a very young age. But it just seems that everything Sheridan is doing he's learning from. Strachan thought he learned a lot after watching the video of a Saturday match and working on his movement. He thought there was huge improvements for the next game on the Wednesday. That says it all.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 22/11/2008 at 3:31 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    He's still not ready for international level. 2 years ago he was playing for Belvadere. 6 months later he made his debut for Celtic having hardly played in the reserves. Since then he's been injured more often than he's been fit. He's 19 but he just hasn't played enough games. He really hasn't played much at reserve level even. At least someone like Stokes had built up 50 or 60 games for Arsenal's reserves and world class training week in week out before moving to Falkirk.

I don't know what it is with Sheridan. We've seen a lot of players play first team football at a very young age. But it just seems that everything Sheridan is doing he's learning from. Strachan thought he learned a lot after watching the video of a Saturday match and working on his movement. He thought there was huge improvements for the next game on the Wednesday. That says it all.
    Agreed he is still far too raw to be considered for the international set-up. But he seems to be very eager to learn and continue his development as a footballer. If he keeps improving the way he is, he will be a serious player by the end of this season

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Totally agree that his willingness and ability to learn is his most encouraging factor, which as a big man is essential especially as if he continues to progress he could play as long as Sheringham and Quinn. Conversely, Stokes seems to have gone backwards maybe as a result of having the natural talent early but sadly not the intelligence to add to his game.

Definitely not the finished article and a lot to learn, however the only way he can do that is through experience, so including him in the next squad or a B-Game might not be such a bad idea. Will definitely bring a new dimension to our attack which we've been missing since Quinn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I met a guy that used to play for Arsenal youth teams/reserves (career unfortunately ended due to injury), and I asked him about Anthony Stokes.

He told me that a big part of Stokes' dominance at a young age was that he grew before everybody else, and was physically bigger and stronger than his peers.

Stokes clearly has talent as we saw in the SPL, but maybe his talent is not his key attribute as many of us thought. Perhaps it was his athleticism in addition to his talent that made him so dominant in the SPL.

In England he looks less dominant, but this may be because the fitness levels are a lot higher in the EPL.

A comparable example is Samaras. In England he was just an average forward with Man City, but with Celtic he can physically dominate SPL back fours, and sprint by them as well. Samaras' domination in the SPL has more to do with athleticism than it does pure skill.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Sheridan, but I just thought I'd mention that little tidbit.

Good to see Cillian get another goal today for the Hoops.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    No need. I dont believe hes ready for it yet. If anything it would be a distraction and detrimental to Ireland in the future, at this stage in his career. Let him continue his good work at club level over the next 12 months and re-evaluate the situation then. Its not as if we even have an issue of trying to tie him up for Ireland as in the McCarthy situation (which for the record, I dont believe should be an excuse for dishing out international caps anyway!)

He got another 15 minutes yesterday. Won a few flick ons, scored another, with his right this time, though it was a 3 yard tap in. All good for the confidence

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Should I post links to the goals?
    thanks! my first glimpse of him in action, much appreciated.
    zombie/thread killer..

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Poor tonight for Celtic. Had about 30 mins as a sub but touchn was awful, did nothing positive of note.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Very poor touch tonight and couldn't seem to find a teammate with his passes but was excellent with his head (defensively and offensively). Heavily involved in his 20 minutes on. Getting stick by the Celtic fans tonight but so are many people after what was actually a decent performance from many of the players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Very poor touch tonight and couldn't seem to find a teammate with his passes but was excellent with his head (defensively and offensively). Heavily involved in his 20 minutes on. Getting stick by the Celtic fans tonight but so are many people after what was actually a decent performance from many of the players.
    He's getting fierce stick on Celtic forums tonight. Not sure why as he's a 19 year old who played just 20 minutes. I would have imagined they would have directed their anger towards Samaras who was awful or Nakamura who missed a sitter. Or the fact that their midfield couldn't hold onto the ball after they went ahead and their defence which crumpled once Aalborg went at them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Bruised his shoulder at the weekend, was suspected to be a dislocation at the time: http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/sc...d-1559126.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Bruised his shoulder at the weekend, was suspected to be a dislocation at the time: http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/sc...d-1559126.html
    Yeah it was a weird one that. He came on with about 25 mins to go and then was substituted before the end. I didnt notice any injury at the time and thought it was strange.

EDIT: He looked poor when he came on!! won a few flick ons but his touch on the deck was awful.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast