Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Murphy

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Joe Murphy

I see Joe Murphy, got into the league one team of the week again, something like nine of ten clean sheets already this year with Scunny and helping them to the lofty heights of League one. Maybe deserves consideration for a return call up, ahead of Colgan or Kenny, he is defo in the same league as Henderson anyway ( no pun intended ), or at least a B International call up. Maybe he dirtied his bib with Stan at Walsall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's not good enough and I'd rather see us going with younger guys with more potential.

Saying that, I'd have him in before Colgan but that's not really saying much considering I rate myself as a better keeper than him even though I'm a defender.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    We have 2 premiership goalies, both having good seasons. If Kenny didnt look great against Cyprus then that's Stan's fault. Is anyone really saying that it's harder to play against Cyprus than Man City or Newcastle against both of whom he kept clean sheets. We should stop scapegoating him.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Murphy is good enough. Saw him play a few months ago and has a safe pair of hands. IMO better than Kenny who is very average. How it was Stans fault for his mistakes in Cyprus is beyond rational.

Given is world class despite his lack of ambition and Henderson and Murphy would provide 2 good back ups.

KOH

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    It's Stan's fault because if Neil Warnock (shudder) had been running the Irish team we wouldn't have conceded 5. Stan doesnt even seem able to organise the defence, which is shocking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Leeds fans - how's Graham Stack doing at the moment?
    Out of all the young keepers that emerged over the last few years he looked the most promising to me. He was class for Milwall a few seasons ago and put in some excellent performances in the Carling Cup for Arsenal. I think it was a bad move for him to go to Reading because it was going to be very difficult to displace Marcus Hahnemann as no.1. IMO he should have gone to another championship side where he would have be guaranteed 1st team football. He's still only 25 which is young enough for a 'keeper, maybe he'll make it yet. Maybe he saw going to Reading as a chance to keep a low profile as a no 2 until his court case blew over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Stack isn't anything special at all. I don't think he'll ever really be in the picture. Those who say Kenny is average is unfair, people are just very prejudiced on rash in judging him. He mightn't command his area as well as some but his shot stopping is actually fantastic, along with his attitude. He's definitely more adept than Henderson, who I don't see the big deal about at all. If he was as decent as some people make him out to be, he'd be a bigger club by now. Murphy is also better than him. The main guy we should be talking about is Supple. He's as close as we've got to another Given, and he's also the youngest. (Worryingly injury prone though) Also rate UCD's Darren Quigley quite highly, Randolph is supposed to be quite decent too. Its these three we should really be looking at.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    It's Stan's fault because if Neil Warnock (shudder) had been running the Irish team we wouldn't have conceded 5. Stan doesnt even seem able to organise the defence, which is shocking.
    Nonsense. On the pitch Kenny was at fault. If and buts dont come into it.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Don't agree... The Keeper is the easiest person to scapegoat in a situation like that. Its the defence's duty to shut down attack and keeper is essentially the last line. I've never seen a perfromance worse than Andy O'Brien's that night at centre half, Richard Dunne was absolutely all over the place and Finnan was the same, loose back passes, didn't know what he was doing. When a defence produces a performance like that it leaves a keeper completely exposed, and they can't do anything about it. I will admit it was his fault for at least one(indecisive for a punch) but he made some really good saves, but it was the likes of O'Brien and the non existent defence(and midfield)that resulted in that atrocity.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    murphy is being linked in the papers with a move to sheffield united. this would be good for ireland as he is younger and probably more talented than paddy kenny as backup to shay, and he could be playing premiership football next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    The goalkeeper pecking order would be this way (and might be this way) if I were in charge:

Given
    Kiely or Westwood
    Kenny or Doyle

Beyond that it's much of a muchness as far as I've seen, but those are the top 5 that should be in and around the squad for the rest of this campaign.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Joe Murphy has decided to leave Scunthorpe rather than seek a new contract. I think I remember Burnley were interested last year?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13469477.stm

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Looks like he might be heading to Coventry as a replacement for Westwood:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...927298,00.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Hauled off at the half for Coventry with a hamstring injury. I'd guess its not that serious as he made it to the half and I doubt he picked it up during the interval.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Great penalty save today against Sean St Ledger's Leicester. Still lost 2-0.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Thought I'd give Joe a bump bearing in mind that he has been in the EFL team of the week for two weeks running https://www.efl.com/news/2017/septem...ent=2017-09-25
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    In talks with Tranmere about a new contract. He'll be 41 when the new season starts.

The last player of that great double Euro win in 98 still playing

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Older than me and still playing. Sad to say, I can't say that about many players these days.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Joe must have had one of the longest playing careers in England of any Irish player. I found an edition of Kickin magazine (anyone remember that!) in the house over Christmas from 1998 and he was listed in it as a member of the Tranmere first team squad. 25 years on and he's playing in goal for Tranmere tonight in League 2 at the age of 41.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

22. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast