Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: CL semi-finals

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts

CL semi-finals

I'm just back from a few days travelling & was surprised to see no comment on the CL SFs. Have I missed it?

I only saw an hour of Milan vs Barcelona and thought there was a lot of quality on show. Barca were the better team but Milan could easily have scored.

Arsenal vs Villareal reminded me a bit of Celtic vs Boavista UEFA SF 1st leg 3 yrs ago. Having disposed of the more fancied teams (Liverpool, Celta, Blackburn, Stuttgart) Celtic had the seemingly easiest opponent in the semi.

On a spring evening at Celtic they hardly got out of the traps, missed chances (incl a penalty) and went to the second leg feeling an opportunity had been lost (game finished 1-1). So there are some parallels with Arsenal's situation I think.

Arsenal admittedly have a much better result - not conceding a home goal is a massive positive - but everything else felt the same. Tension & the size of the occasion limited Arsenal I thought and I reckon they'll have a feeling in the back of their minds that they've left the door open.

I think an away goal is well within their grasp though & I fancy them to go through. I mean even Rangers drew over there! Anyone got an opinion?

If they make it to the final they'll have noted that Barcelona do concede chances & that guy Valdes isn't up to much in goals.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Enjoyed both games,

Good comparison you make with regards to the Celtic/Boavista game and Arsenal/Villareal, though Arsenal are clearly better than celtic and Villareal much better than Boavista. Celtic conceded that important away goal and Arsenal haven't which is good for them. Villareal can be a very creative side and in their compact stadium, Im sure they will be much more dangerous. VR have a pretty mean defence at home, though if Rangers can score against them there anyone can!!

Eitherway, Im afraid I'll be looking for a Barca/Milan winner for the CL, which would guarantee Celtic automatic group stages.

Barca looked, decent, Ronaldhino's through ball and Guily's finish was pure quality. Though Milan had 2 or 3 extremely good chances to score and I think they will struggle now at the nou camp.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    based on the evidence of the first leg could see milan going to barcelona and getting a result. arsenal by far better team in their semi but 1-0 still gives villareal a bit of hope altho if they play like they did in the first leg expect arsenal to hammer them. them goals have to go in at some stage...Arsenal v Milan final.arsenal to win overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think the fact that Barca have an away goal will make it very difficult for Milan and I dont think the Milan team has the legs to be Barca either. When you have a playaer like Ronaldinhio on your team he can have a bad game and still produce a piece of magic. I think Barca will go through pretty easily in the end.

Arsenal will go through but it wont be easy for them Villareal lacked ambition at Highbury but that wont happen at home but I do think that Arsenal will probably score away from home I think the score will either be 1-1 or 2-1 to Villareal on the night. Either way Arsenal will go through to a Barca Arsenal final..
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I dont think Milan will be intimidated by the Nou Camp. I think they have the strikers to score goals and the defenders not to concede them...can you say the same about the barcelona defence? Milan could have nicked a goal at the san siro very easily.tie is not over yet by any means.