Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Didier Drogba: cheat?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didier Drogba: cheat?

(havnt seen another thread on this - maybe didnt look hard enough)

dunno how you feel about this lad - suppose we can all nearly agree that he is overvalued and overpayed and a bit of an over reactor on the pitch.

I just feel that maybe the media frenzy surrounding mourinho and chelsea is now targeting Drogba. Just watching a few interviews today after their game against Man City, and i couldnt help but feel a little sorry for the man. Watching the game i thought the only thing he was guilty of (handball aside) during the game was being a bit of an over exagerator when he was fouled. I suppose he may have earned this extra scrutinising.

You cant deny his effort during a game and it seems as though he plays for the team and not for himself.

Dont get me wrong - i havnt got much time for Chelsea (dont think theyre good for the game), but I have a slight feeling that a bit of a witch hunt is underway!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd have to agree with you. I've become a bit fed up of the way Mourinho and Chelsea have been behaving this season. However, I respect Drogba as a player. As you said, he plays for the team, as opposed to Crespo who seems to play for himself.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    see wen he was awarded man of the match yesterday over the tannoy....... all the boos from the chelsea fans!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Drogba is a good player, but not the best definitley not worth 24 million played well yesterday though
    Indeed...........

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    If Drogba wasn't so big he'd be useless. His only ability is to barge other players off the pitch & fall like he shot at the slighest touch. His control of the ball is often quiet shockingly poor.

His physique is more suited to rugby.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Drogba's just another example of Chelsea players doing whatever it takes to win, including cheating, Robben, Wright-Philips, Del Horno and Crespo are also on that list. With that amount of players in one team willing to go to ground at the slightest touch I think we should start pointing the finger at the manager, rather than individual players. Even if he's not telling them to dive, he's certainly condoning it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    agree with you there jebus. I reckon the players often reflect their managers attitude and especially in Chelsea's case, it seems as though the players really look up to him.

We shouldnt leave our own Damien Duff out of that list of players!!! He has a real moany streak in him at times!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well he played the whistle ;last week against Fulham he was caught out , this week he got away with it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

getting in straight

Lets get one thing clear Drogba played the whistle the same as any player would have done.
    At leased he was big enough to own up to it when asked.
    It is true to say some you get some you dont just a bad deccision by the referee simple as that.
    Have you forgotten the hand of god in the world cup
    I wonder how many of you enjoyed that occassion,and glad to see England lose to the ARRGIES. just a thought.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feo123
    see wen he was awarded man of the match yesterday over the tannoy....... all the boos from the chelsea fans!
    Think you'll find that was the Citeh fans, followed it up with the humourous "Only score when your cheating" song.

Drogba, as was discussed on MOTD, which goalscorer will say, I'm sorry don't give a goal, I used my arm? The answer is none. Furthermore, hard though it is to take, and much as "they" think Drogba is a cheat, what we need to realise, is that football is now in the 21st Century, and there's no point having 1970s opinions where players were good honest pros and gave and took the knocks like the men they were. These days, the name of the game is to win, and if a player comes along that dives, handles the ball and generally cheats, it's up to the officials to spot this and take the appropriate action. Unfortunately, the ones now don't have the bottle to give the correct decisions, and think more about their marks and not being criticised by a manager. Knowing SP won't criticise him, but Mourhino would, it's easy to see why they do what they do.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not Drogba we should criticise, but the system that allows him to do what he does. Weak referees who, one minute send someone off because they have no communication skills, and the next are easily intimidated by a bunch of overpaid ponces, "Assistant" referees who simply absolve themselves of all responsibility and completely bottle decisions, and are happy to indicate in and out of play and offside in the correct manner (raise the flag then lower it by bending the elbow into the side before bringing it down again) without actually bringing something to the referee's attention. The assessors have a cushy little number with their boardroom passes and free drinks, so why rock the boat? The FA assume everything is honky dory because the assessor said it was, so what are the TV boys bleating about?

Hats off to Chelsea, their working of the pathetic system currently in place is working wonders. And that's not a sarcastic comment, that's genuine appreciation for a side that are so blatently abusing football, but those in charge either don't see it, won't see it, or are too scared to see it. yanited did it for years as did Pool.
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Having seen the second goal I feel I can comment more fairly than the screaming banshees on RTE , inc. Giles who accused us of cheating .!! Fact is Drogba tried to control it with his chest, instead he controlled it with his arm and smashed the ball in...yes it was handball but not the blatant cheating that was made out by the very bitter Giles ...even before the programme began Giles was lambasting the club, whipping the country into a frenzy...where was he when Pedersen of Blackburn blatantly punched the ball into the net earlier in the season which I think turned out to be the winning goal...he was even pictured running away laughing, yet there was no media outcry...if that had been drogba there would have been demands from them to bring back the death penalty!
    Thankfully match of the day turned out to be far less hysterical and Lee Dixon as previously stated was surprisingly fair...almost passed out in shock.

As for buying our success , well,
    The former Porto manager does not need to have his managerial credentials defended by me. His record speaks for itself. It can be argued that he has been successful with Chelsea solely because of Roman Abramovich's money. That is until his success at Porto is considered and until you take into account the fact that Claudio Ranieri couldn't deliver the Premiership title, despite having access to the same resources.

The random way that Chelsea stumbled upon their riches may rankle with the footballing community, but the worth of Mourinho's achievements cannot be even slightly diminished because of it. Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger's successes were both underpinned by financial superiority over the rest of the Premiership. In footballing terms, tangible success is usually "bought". How that money is generated should not be a contributory factor in judging any manager.

If you are going to pass any judgement on Mourinho the manager, then do so on his managerial record and nothing else. Three league championships, a UEFA Cup, The Champions League and the League Cup in three seasons is undeniable proof that he is a very talented football manager. Judging Jose Mourinho on his public persona is like jailing Anthony Hopkins because he eats people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osgood was good
    Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger's successes were both underpinned by financial superiority over the rest of the Premiership. In footballing terms, tangible success is usually "bought". How that money is generated should not be a contributory factor in judging any manager.
    Your having a laugh!! I'll be amazed if you can show one season under Wenger where Arsenal demonstrated anything remotely resembling a 'financial superiority' as you put it, in the premier league. Sure he spent money but at the same time clubs such as Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea (not to mention Newcastle & Man Utd) were spending outragously more money on the likes of Heskey,Rebrov & Sutton to name just a few and I might add have continually spent as much or more money than Arsenal on an annual basis since Wenger's arrival. Poor little Jose himself has spent more in one and a half seasons than Wenger has in ten. To compare the scenario of what Jose faced walking into Chelsea to what Wenger faced back in 1996 and dare I say it even Fergie before that in the 80's is beyond a joke.

I know it's tough being public enemy number one after 50 years of humble existance but c'mon you can't honestly equate these scenario's as similar.

For what it's worth, I've said on many occiasions I'm a fan of Jose the coach and I think he's moulded his team well but to try to ignore the unending financial resources available to him is wrong. I'm more impressed by what he did at Porto than what he did at Chelsea.

Had it not being for a perfect unbeaten season by Arsenal in 2004 (spending less money than Chelsea then too I might add) and a poor showing against Monaco, Ranieri would have won the title for Chelsea (finishing with a points tally that had in the past won it) & a possible European Cup. That is the fine line in football.
    Last edited by Karlos; 27/03/2006 at 4:14 AM.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osgood was good
    take into account the fact that Claudio Ranieri couldn't deliver the Premiership title, despite having access to the same resources.
    I don't doubt Mourinho's ability at all but it's hardly fair to say Ranieri got a fair crack of the whip. He had basically 1 season to work with that money and all the time it was an open secret that he was on his way out, it's not easy to deliver within that timescale no matter how much money you have and Jose was fortunate to be able to rely on some of the signings that Ranieri had already made IMO.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renovater
    Lets get one thing clear Drogba played the whistle the same as any player would have done.
    What was he going to say?
    Twas as clear as the rather large nose on his cheating face.
    While no club can say they don't have a player that dives, Drogba epitomises all that is wrong in the game.
    "Sometimes I dive" is an exact quote from him.
    Dixon and Hansen on MOTD disgusted me, no condemnation of blatant cheating. It needs to be cut out.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    yeah drogba is one of the worst out there. moany little whinge hole and a cheating baztard. yes the hand of god was enjoyable but at least maradonna had a bit of class and talent about him
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

While on the subject of cheating.....

Anybody watch the Malaga/Barcelona game over the weekend?

The disallowed Eto goal for me was final confirmation (not that I needed it) that FIFA have to act now and have an official in the stands in front of a screen with all the benefits that come with TV coverage.

It was conclusively proven that it was the arm of a Malaga defender that took the ball off Larsens napper and into the path of Eto who then duly dispatched a perfetly legitimate strike into the Malaga goal.

To make thing's worse the protests of the Malaga players was led by the very individual who was the perpetrator of the crime. Having initially awarded a goal the referee was cajoled into consulting the linesman who incorrectly advised that it was a Barcelona arm that was in contact with the ball, result....NO GOAL!!

For those who think that this potential solution will destroy the natural flow of the game you only have to see how the protests of the Malaga team achieved this in any event.

In summary whilst I do not think it is a feasible solution for every disputed offside or free kick call it is surely the answer to major calls that the officials on the pitch are unable to make.
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renovater
    It is true to say some you get some you dont just a bad deccision by the referee simple as that.
    Have you forgotten the hand of god in the world cup
    I wonder how many of you enjoyed that occassion,and glad to see England lose to the ARRGIES. just a thought.
    well if you were watching MOTD2 last night you would have seen a true sports man in Di Rossi for Roma.He scored a goal with his hand.The goal has given but he owned up to the ref and the goal was then disallowed.
    Not a hope of Drogba doing this because he is a cheat.He admitted that he dives,and people will say he got is words mixed up but he knew once he said it he shouldnt have so went back on his story when asked again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    On the subject of the ref sending Distin off.....

If a club is operating a multi-ball system, does the ref have to walk off with like eight balls or summat?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars
    well if you were watching MOTD2 last night you would have seen a true sports man in Di Rossi for Roma.He scored a goal with his hand.The goal has given but he owned up to the ref and the goal was then disallowed.
    I think that the Italian league brought in two-game bans for anyone who was found to have scored with his hand and not owned up, if it was given by the ref at the time. Still a sporting gesture, but it wasn't entirely against his own interests to admit it either.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford
    In summary whilst I do not think it is a feasible solution for every disputed offside or free kick call it is surely the answer to major calls that the officials on the pitch are unable to make.
    Who decides what's worthy of a TV replay decision and what's not. It just opens up a can of worms where teams will argue it should have been used in such and such a case till we've tv decisions for everything. I hope they never bring it in, but maybe a ref in each half, GAA style umpire behind the goal, is a more feasible solution

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast