Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Question Protests in France

Student Protests

New employment law explained

Are french people just lazy or do they just like to protest about everything?

This is the same country that brought in the 35 hour working week to try to bring down unemployment. Just looking at that law & reality is that employees in Ireland could be released at 1 months notice at any time if just say that work no longer available. At 10% unemployment the french shouldn't be so choosy.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    its the same as people working for a dollar a day for nike in them crap countries where there is nuthin else to do moaning about conditions. people should be grateful to have a job...damn foreigners..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    France is almost as bad as Germany but at least Germans have history in engineering & other industries. Jobs for life hiding incompetent employees are over. France needs to join the 21st century & see the competition out there. If it wasn't for wine & tourism France would have collapsed long ago.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    would you work somewhere where you could be fired without explanation?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    would you work somewhere where you could be fired without explanation?
    Stanard practice is that when people in their 6 months probation they can be released with 1 months notice/pay. In my experience this very rarely used unless person lied during interview & clearly incompetent. Companies don't fire people just cos they like it as its hassle trying to hire & train new people.
    In France the government was proposing this for 2 year period but now cut to 1 year. Employees will still entitled to notice period. I don't see the big deal. Is it better to be on the dole?

Reality is that if my boss didn't want to employ me anymore i wouldn't want to work for him.
    Last edited by pete; 04/04/2006 at 3:56 PM.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    As far as I can see the only thing wrong with France is that their citizens are unwilling to be crapped on from a height by their governments, good for them, I only hope that Irish people would grow the same backbone and stand up for their rights in the same way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus
    As far as I can see the only thing wrong with France is that their citizens are unwilling to be crapped on from a height by their governments, good for them, I only hope that Irish people would grow the same backbone and stand up for their rights in the same way
    So 10% unemployment caused by government-enforced structural barriers to employment isn't being crapped on from a great height......?

This is the 21st century Jebus. The world doesn't owe anyone a favour any more.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    French society is clearly out of touch, not only in economic terms but also on many other issues.They still live in the nostalgia of 1968 while the rest of Europe adapted to the new demands of a globalized economy that has, I reckon, it's own defaults. Nevertheless, we have to stick to reality.
    The "CPE" is not something new and already exists in many countries.
    Training periods ranging from 6 months up to 2 or 3 years are common place in countries such as Denmark or Luxembourg. Have you ever heard them complain ?
    Some companies spend a lot of money and time in training their staff.
    That period alone can take up to several months. Unless you behave badly you won't get fired after that period.
    The french like to complain about everything... When it's not about their pension it is the 35 hour week, salaries or the farmers who complain about the bad weather.
    "Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get."
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Fair play to the french people for not taking the crap from their leaders. If only the same was the case here, as we rapidly head to a US/UK situation where people can't get permenant, full time jobs. Instead they have to make do with several part time jobs, reduced job security, no garanteed hours and wages etc etc.

Rather higher unemployment than the attitude to labour of the "more successful" economies of the West. So fair play for the French for protecting the conditions they fought for so long to get, for which one man was trying to remove on a whim.

And again, more's the pity that the general population can't see the race to the bottom happening here and just have an "I'm all right Jack" attitude. You probably are, but for how long?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    So 10% unemployment caused by government-enforced structural barriers to employment isn't being crapped on from a great height......?

This is the 21st century Jebus. The world doesn't owe anyone a favour any more.....
    Jesus Christ do I have to constantly come on here explaining the obvious?? I said the French are unwilling to accept being crapped on from a great height by their governments, lets call this point (a), since this thread is basically about the French rioting in response to said crapping lets go ahead and call that point (b). So a + b = my point that they don't allow their governments to screw them over, so wheres the confusion? I've got hand puppets if that would be easier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I love France

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus
    Jesus Christ do I have to constantly come on here explaining the obvious?? I said the French are unwilling to accept being crapped on from a great height by their governments, lets call this point (a), since this thread is basically about the French rioting in response to said crapping lets go ahead and call that point (b). So a + b = my point that they don't allow their governments to screw them over, so wheres the confusion? I've got hand puppets if that would be easier
    But with your talk of crapping from above you give the impression that France is still being ruled by the aristocracy. They had riots a few months ago by young unemployed men and they're trying to do something about the problem. You can agree or disagree with their policies but you're assigning false motives when you accuse them of crapping from above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student
    But with your talk of crapping from above you give the impression that France is still being ruled by the aristocracy. They had riots a few months ago by young unemployed men and they're trying to do something about the problem. You can agree or disagree with their policies but you're assigning false motives when you accuse them of crapping from above.
    Am I assigning false motives, or are you assigning them yourself? Theres something for you to nit pick about

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    More strikes by the french today The french do love their holidays...

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    More strikes by the french today The french do love their holidays...
    Ya because if there is one thing history has taught us it's the beauty of that most wonderful work avoidance tactic, the strike. It is of course widely known that workers have marvellous times while out on strike and often use this handy gap in their employment to spend a bit of time with the kids, maybe see some of the world, or to just simply unwind in the mansion which their bountiful boss has provided for them.

Why, we only have to think back to the miners strike in England. Oh what a gas it was...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    what a load of b0ll0cks. yea 'the french' as in every single last one of them. f*ck "the french". how small-minded are we irish (insert vomiting irony smiley here)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Off topic Muslim posts have been moved elsewhere.

I was trying to stir some debate here but seems few people capable of informing themselves...

I do feel France as a nation seems to be stuck in a timewarp unable to change with the rest of the world. Germany was like that for years but seems to be awakening to reality now.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    To be fair pete, starting the thread off asking if the French are lazy or just like protesting about everything isn't a very clever way of starting a debate. The honest reason is that the French have become mired in a union culture, and have taken it too far. If you'd put it in more balanced terms like that, and asked if there was a way out - there is, because other countries have lifted themselves out of the problem - you mightn't have gotten such idiotic responses. The thread was biased when you started it - and just a tad bigoted imho - what did you expect?

(And no, I'm not saying that unions are bad. Unions are good, in moderation. Just like everything. Why people have to take such black and white views on everything is beyond me. People have died from falling off ladders; should we ban ladders?)

adam
    Last edited by dahamsta; 04/04/2006 at 4:27 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I accept the lazy comment wasn't the smartest but ask 100 people on the street about french protests & i think vast majority will say they'd protest about anything. I think because of this its difficult to take all their protests seriously...

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Doesn't matter pete. Start a debate that way, that's the response you'll get. We're aiming for a higher standard than that in here.

(Or rather, I'm aiming for a higher standard, and if I don't get it, I'm going to shut it down.)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast