Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GAA clubs threaten judicial review on Tallaght stadium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

GAA clubs threaten judicial review on Tallaght stadium

From eircom.net

Six Dublin GAA clubs in Tallaght determined to prevent the half-built stadium intended for Shamrock Rovers from being completed as a soccer-only facility have again indicated they may initiate a judicial review.

Thomas Davis, St Jude's, St Anne's, St Mark's, Faughs and Croí Ro Naofa want the pitch dimensions extended so Gaelic games can be played at Tallaght Stadium.

But the Government insists the stadium will be finished as a soccer-only facility and has instead offered to assist the GAA develop 26 acres of Dublin county board-owned land in Rathcoole.

"What we're looking for is a mirror image to Parnell Park on the southside," spokesman for the six Tallaght clubs David Kennedy said today. "There is no stadium facility on Dublin's southside to promote Gaelic Games."

But Minster for Sport John O'Donoghue is standing his ground, insisting the agreement entered into with Shamrock Rovers would be "abided to".

He said yesterday he was "disappointed with the attitude of some of the (GAA) officials out there".

The Government insists funding for the project will be withdrawn if the stadium - as was once mooted - becomes a muti-sport facility.

But Kennedy has hit back at this stance and says the GAA clubs are considering legal options.

"We'd like the position to be resolved through consensus . . . and are seeking discussions with the Minister. However, we are addressing all the legal aspects and have until April 12th to initiate a judicial review. Certainly we'd prefer not to have to go down that route but it's under consideration."

Kennedy insists the entire Dublin county board, and not just the six Tallaght clubs, are pushing for inclusion in the stadium's plans.

"This issue was raised at the Dublin county committee meeting last week, and all 96 clubs in Dublin have formally taken this on as official Dublin policy," he told RTÉ Radio's Morning Ireland.

"We've also had discussion with the authorities in Croke Park in the last few days and they've been very supportive of us."

But O'Donoghue is refusing to budge. He reminded the GAA of the Government's €110 million invested in Croke Park as well as 34 per cent of the funding allocated under the sports capital programme that has also gone to the association.

Kennedy insists there is no funding available to develop a new GAA stadium to rival Parnell Park. "The Minister's stance represents a major departure from traditional funding mechanisms for stadia and sporting facilities," he said

"In the past, the Government has co-funded certain investments for the GAA, but here we have a stadium that will be pretty-much 100 per cent funded by the Government."

Nothing the GAA is doing, Kennedy said, represents negative sentiment towards Shamrock Rovers who, he acknowledged, have "needs and aspirations for priority fixtures" at the stadium.

The Shamrock Rovers board met the Minister last week where he reiterated his position to see the stadium completed as a soccer facility.

Rovers hoped to be in the ground by the end of the current season, although March 2007 is more likely.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Heard this in the car this morning - Kennedy got to state his case with no hard questions - like why the f uck don't you build a stadium yourself then? - from whoever was presenting, and no one from Rovers. Billy Lord should demand a right of reply from Morning Ireland.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I can't work out the legal basis on which any judicial review would be based.

Why would be Dept of Sport and/or SDCC be legally obliged to ensure Tallaght could accomodate GAA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ignore them - word to the wise - it will cost them a fortune to carry through on this threat - and they won't win - they wont risk a penny on this they're just hoping some of o'donoghue's rivals take up their cause so they can shake it up a little

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie
    I can't work out the legal basis on which any judicial review would be based.

Why would be Dept of Sport and/or SDCC be legally obliged to ensure Tallaght could accomodate GAA?
    exactly. Would anyone challenge a local authority for building a swimming pool because it didn't incorporate a tennis court?
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nothing the GAA is doing, Kennedy said, represents negative sentiment towards Shamrock Rovers.
    Just as well it was radio and he didn't have to deliver that with a straight face.
    I cannot believe the cheek of these people. Then again, sheer brass neck has never done them any harm. It'll be interesting to see if the FFers have the will to stand up to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    It'll be interesting to see if the FFers have the will to stand up to them.
    In fairness I think O'Donoghue has made a statement in the Dail that Tallaght will be for (association) football only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers fans must be going mad over this.The stadium has been delayed for years and now this kind of nonsense will delay it even further .Just because the Gaa opened up Croke Park on a temporary basis doesn't mean they can have a claim on any newly built football stadium.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Lets just hope any Rovers fans with split loyalties now see what the GAA is at - trying to kill Shamrock Rovers.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Lets just hope any Rovers fans with split loyalties now see what the GAA is at - trying to kill Shamrock Rovers.
    I dunno anything about where their loyalities lie but if they are in any way uncertain about how this looks, i just want to say in no uncertain terms, the GAA are really pushing the boat out here, its clear that they know exactly what they are at.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    He won't.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From eircom.net

"What we're looking for is a mirror image to Parnell Park on the southside," spokesman for the six Tallaght clubs David Kennedy said today. "There is no stadium facility on Dublin's southside to promote Gaelic Games."

This could be the answer to the relocation of Shels. Get them to ground share in Parnell Park. Maybe even Bohs could join them.

Brilliant idea ....... problem solved!!!!!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down Disgraceful

It makes no sense. Has anyone asked the GAA what they want access to a stadium with only 3000 seats? I would assume the GAA have numerous facilities like that in south dublin as most of those GAA clubs are loaded with cash...

Anyway the FAi has already invested a large sum in grants to the stadium.

This can only be a plan to stop Rovers entering Tallaght as they seen as a "threat" by some.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The GAA own 26 acres in Rathcoole, just around the corner, in the same council area. This is all about getting huge govenment cash to develop that land.

Grab All Association

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by green-blood
    Grab All Association
    Thats about the size of it !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Id say bring them on and let them go through the motions and cost them loads of money in legal fees and other. The min they do the head office of the GAA will see a huge bill comming their way and caution them to withdraw their actions. To take action against not only rovers but also the council and the gov will only destroy the six clubs financially. So if its rovers or them i say lets see them vanish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353
    Id say bring them on and let them go through the motions and cost them loads of money in legal fees and other. The min they do the head office of the GAA will see a huge bill comming their way and caution them to withdraw their actions. To take action against not only rovers but also the council and the gov will only destroy the six clubs financially. So if its rovers or them i say lets see them vanish.
    No harm in that !! :evil smirk:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Typical RTE.
    On the 6pm news, Joe Stack's "report" never even alluded to the fact that the GAA have their own facilities in Tallaght.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353
    meanwhile this delay means we are definitly out of the super fai league and remain homeless, possibly fatally so?

fúck that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    meanwhile this delay means we are definitly out of the super fai league and remain homeless, possibly fatally so?

fúck that
    If the minister say no, there thats that .... aint it ??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast