Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GAA clubs threaten judicial review on Tallaght stadium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    If the minister say no, there thats that .... aint it ??
    Eventyally but even if you're in the wrong you can use a judicial review to hold stuff up for maybe a year or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan
    exactly. Would anyone challenge a local authority for building a swimming pool because it didn't incorporate a tennis court?
    Well,if the GAA ran tennis in Ireland.........

Seriously though, this stinks to high heaven. I just hope O'Donoghue sticks to his guns. One little aside in the Herald(and yes, I know I shouldn't take that comic seriously, but still) caught my attention. It was stated that the Government stated that they would fully fund Tallaght on condition that Rovers and Patswould use it. Any attempt to attach such a condition should be fiercely resisted by fans of both clubs. The vast majority of Pats fans have made their feelings pretty clear on the issue of moving to Tallaght, and Rovers future shouldn't be dependent on Pats being bullied/bribed out of their home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student
    Eventyally but even if you're in the wrong you can use a judicial review to hold stuff up for maybe a year or two.
    and there you have it. the stadium is useless to them. they have their own site 2 miles away earmarked for a stadium. the 6 clubs all have excellent facilities. morally is difficult to argue that they can get in to tallaght and shels not parnell park.

but they are biting the hand that feeds, so i presume they are flexing muscles to get cash for rathcoole. and the dept have stated that they will play ball on this. great article in hotpress about it this week:

Does Rovers Spat Reek of Anti-Soccer PRejudice

Craig Fitzsimons

In the wake of last year's historic decision by GAA Congress to open Croke Park to the once-despised 'foreign games' of soccer and rugby, the hope was widely expressed that small-minded factional rivalries between the followers and administrators of dirfferent sporting codes were, finally, a thing of the past. Such idealistic assumptions have been shattered by the ugly spat now developing over the future of hte proposed Tallaght Stadium.

For tenuous political reasons, GAA enthusiasts used to feel that those who took an interest in rugby and soccer were somehow being 'un-Irish', a position which in retrospect seems petty, ridiculous and faintly fascist.

Undoubtedly, an equally knee-jerk anti-GAA reaction can be seen to have prevailed among soccer and rugby enthusiasts of a certain age.

Ireland has changed beyond recognition in the last 20 years - in most respects for the better - and one of the positive side-effects has been the virtual disappearance of such sentiments on either side of the old divide.

Today's average Irish sports fan takes an unabashed interest in all four of the main codes. The current Taoiseach, devoted equally to Manchester United and the Dubs, would be a good example. Sport, after all, should be about bringing people together, not dividing them.

Or so you'd think. The Tallaght saga appears to suggest that in certain quarters, sporting bogotry is alive and well. The as-yet-unfinished, 6,000 capacity stadium is intended to house Shamrock Rovers and, possibly, St. Patrick's Athletic. The government are happy to fund its construction, provided the stadium is used only for soccer.

Six GAA clubs in the south-west Dublin area (Thomas Davis, St. Anne's, St. Mark's, St. Jude's, Faughs and Crio Ro Naofa) have challenged this edict, requesting that the stadium be 're-designed as a community facility' and available for Gaelic games.

The request sounds reasonable, until you bear in mind that the GAA receives government grants in the region of Eur17m every year for the upkeep of stadia which it steadfastly refuses to share with other sporting codes.

From the moment its proposed existence was announced in 1996, the stadium has been besieged by planning problems and financial difficulties: this latest row threatens its very future. The Sports Minister, John O'Donoghue (himself a staunch Kerry GAA man) has stuck to his guns and made it clear that he will withdreaw funding from the project unless it is a soccer-only stadium. If Government funding is indeed withdrawn, it is highly unlikely that the stadium will be built at all.

Most GAA clubs are thriving very well as it is: nationwide, its clubs have received a whopping Eur135m of public funding since 1998. An official list detailing the distribution of funding for 2005 reveals allocations that range from the modest (Eur20,000 for County Carlow's Fighting Cocks GFC) to the extravagantly lavish (Eur380,000 for St. Bridgid's GAA club in Dublin). In contrast, only two Eircom LEague teams (Bray Wanderers and Cork City) received any funding at all, the latter for refurbishment at Turner's Cross.

Rovers' position is perilous. On the pitch last year, they suffered relegation from the Premier League; off it, they were forced into examinership by debts of over Eur3m.

A supporters' consortium, the 400 Club, successfully forced out the old regime, but without the municipal stadium in place, their future is a bleak one.

St. Pat's would also benefit enormously from leaving their aging home in Inchicore. The Genesis report recommended ground-sharing (with Shelbourne and Bohemians sharing Phibsborough's Dalymount Park) as the obvious way forward if soccer in this country is ever to thrive.

A proper, publicly-funded stadium for two of Dublin's four main clubs doesn't seem too much to ask, nor would it pose any threat to anyone in the GAA. The six protesting clubs would appear to be motivated entirely by a fear that soccer would establish a greater foothold in the Tallaght area. .

In truth, that happened a long time ago and certainly hasn't been to the GAA's detriment. They own 26 acres of land in Rathcoole, on which it would surely be possible to build a stadium of their own.

The impasse continues, and the protesting clubs must now either back off or carry out their threat to seek a judicial review. The former option would enable the Tallaght Stadium to be completed, probably before the end of 2006. The latter, and much likelier, scenario will delay any further work on the stadium for two years.

Despite suspicions that 'Bull' O'Donoghue's GAA background would cloud his impartiality on the issue, he has acted with appropriate firmness, going so far as to hint that the GAA would be wise not to bite the hand that feeds.

"If the GAA want to seek a judicial review that's their business", the Minister states, "but I would remind them of one thing. Under the Sports Council Programme, since 1998, I have allocated over Eur135m to the GAA. I have recently allocated over Eur1.7m (to three of hte protesting clubs), and I would be prepared obviously to assist them in relation to their development at Rathcoole, but what I won't do is give in to blackmail".

Certainly, we've come a long way from the days when Stasi-styled 'Vigilance Committees' would send spies and informers to monitor attendances at soccer and rugby matches, report any GAA members they happened to spot, and end their careers.

However, many Rovers fans remain convinced that the clubs' behaviour is a textbook example of anti-soccer mean-spiritedness, designed to drive Rovers to financial extinction, and that it has the tacit approval of the GAA itself.

We can only judge them on their words and actions in the months to come. In the meantime, an outbreak of tolerance and generosity (i.e. scrap the judicial review) might not go amiss.

ENDS

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Let's see now . . . What could we fit in the GAA site in Rathcoole? Three Croke Parks, for starters. Oh, but it's going to be the site for an academy, isn't it? Well, Liverpool's academy is regarded as a top-notch facility, possibly the best in Britain. You could put that in Rathcoole about SEVEN times over.
    So let's be reasonable here: how about two 40,000-seater stadia, a car park (something Croker hasn't got) for, say, 5,000 cars, and you'd still have room for an academy around three times the size of the one belonging to the current European champions. An average couple of years' amount of grants to the GAA would pay for the lot.
    Sure you'd have to give them Tallaght too, the poor buggers. And, after that, every other blade of grass in Ireland, just in case the oul' sahker caught on and Ireland reverted to paganism.
    Also: the Dept of Sport haven't said that Tallaght was also for Pat's. They said it should be considered for use by another EL club. Small lies can make a big difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Is there anything stopping Rover letting everyone in that area know what is going on, for example can they send fliers to each house in the area explaining factually exactly what is happening, no lies, no mistruths .... just a club informing all its stakeholders what is going on and what is preventing the facility being completed ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    Is there anything stopping Rover letting everyone in that area know what is going on, for example can they send fliers to each house in the area explaining factually exactly what is happening, no lies, no mistruths .... just a club informing all its stakeholders what is going on and what is preventing the facility being completed ??
    technically its got nothing to do with us, its the grab all association v the deppt of sport.....

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    He won't.

KOH
    Any Rovers fan, actually any eL fan, that gives the GAA money after this is nothing better than a scab.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No GAA in Tallaght

Dirty bitter scummy culchie bast@rds.

I am 100% behind Rovers on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    but they are biting the hand that feeds, so i presume they are flexing muscles to get cash for rathcoole. and the dept have stated that they will play ball on this.

ENDS
    That's it in a nutshell.
    This is the 6 GAA clubs way of ensuring they go to the top of the list for future funding from the Dept.

A possible 2 year delay to the completion of the Tallaght stadium is icing on the cake as far as they're concerned.

I do give credit to O'Donoghue for his statements to date.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    how the hell can any soccer fan step foot inside a gaa ground after this.the gaa are bigots.john o donoghue is a legend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    technically its got nothing to do with us, its the grab all association v the deppt of sport.....
    Technically you are right and O'Donoghue has seen through the "broken glass spreaders" efforts to kill rovers however it does not mean you should sit back and not realsie there is a fight here.

BTW I assume the 15 acres the bigots got in Portmarnock free gratis at the same time as the Tallaght decision will be available to Bohs and Shels to play games on.

Can sopmebody point out the irony that all 6 clubs have their own facilities and in 2 or 3 cases have sufficient land to develop their own stadium in the area. not to mention Rathcoole.

Funnily enough I overheard an Australian (presumably living here) yesterday
    trying to explain to another guy the Croke Park situation. He appeared to be a rugby fan as he only mentioned rugby but He had a decent understanding of the situation and was trying to convey the extent of the GAA's bigotry to his friend

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    The request sounds reasonable, until you bear in mind that the GAA receives government grants in the region of Eur17m every year for the upkeep of stadia which it steadfastly refuses to share with other sporting codes.

Most GAA clubs are thriving very well as it is: nationwide, its clubs have received a whopping Eur135m of public funding since 1998. An official list detailing the distribution of funding for 2005 reveals allocations that range from the modest (Eur20,000 for County Carlow's Fighting Cocks GFC) to the extravagantly lavish (Eur380,000 for St. Bridgid's GAA club in Dublin). In contrast, only two Eircom LEague teams (Bray Wanderers and Cork City) received any funding at all, the latter for refurbishment at Turner's Cross.
    I am still trying to understand O'Donoghue's motivation in all of this. Don't forget that this man never sees past the next election. That is all he cares about.
    In the Tallaght area, all he wants to do is stem SF's growth. Allowing the GAA into the stadium would be claimed by SF as their success. Keeping them out and FF are the heroes of the Tallaght working class.
    Him and FF go around trumpeting this to every taxi-driver and lapsed Rovers fan in Dublin before the next election.
    Meanwhile, he meets the 6 southside gaa clubs next week, promises them millions for Rathcoole (this furore has the effect of making this an easier sell politically) and thus cements the gaa vote. Probably, they'll have to drop any judicial review in return, otherwise the matter is still outstanding at election time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm getting sick and tired of reading this genesis report horse sh.te

we play in richmond park (for my money the best LoI ground there is by a mile) we DO NOT want to move to a poxy field in talla with one stand to share with any first division club or the gaa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws
    we play in richmond park (for my money the best LoI ground there is by a mile)
    No offence, wws, but do you use Monopoly money?
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie
    No offence, wws, but do you use Monopoly money?
    That's not fair.
    Incidentally, I would also give credit to O'Donoghue for standing up to greedy bogballers -- it can't have been an easy call given his constituency. But will he get support from his colleagues in Government, or will Tom Parlon want to build SRFC a stadium in Birr?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well I for one am comfortable with continuing to support the "bigots, glass spreader, bogball muck savages" or whatever you want to call them.

The sporting organisation that has done most damage to football in this country is the FAI but they're not going to stop me supporting St. Pats and I don't think anyone would say that makes me a "scab". And right now they're trying to force my team into a ground with half a stand and hostile local opposition. 6 GAA clubs in SW Dublin are trying to get access to a 100% public funded municipal stadium - the Government is telling them it's for soccer only. The clubs have lukewarm support at best from GAA Central Council, it's not a return to 'The Ban'.

By some people's logic, there should be a complete boycott of all eircom League games by anyone who disagrees with the actions of Ollie Byrne/Shelbourne over the last number of years.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Any Rovers fan, actually any eL fan, that gives the GAA money after this is nothing better than a scab.
    Very, very true.

Monutdfc - That would be my reading of the whole situation too.

wws - I hope Pats for Richmond have the good sense to make you their spokesman.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint
    Well I for one am comfortable with continuing to support the "bigots, glass spreader, bogball muck savages" or whatever you want to call them.

The sporting organisation that has done most damage to football in this country is the FAI but they're not going to stop me supporting St. Pats and I don't think anyone would say that makes me a "scab". And right now they're trying to force my team into a ground with half a stand and hostile local opposition. 6 GAA clubs in SW Dublin are trying to get access to a 100% public funded municipal stadium - the Government is telling them it's for soccer only. The clubs have lukewarm support at best from GAA Central Council, it's not a return to 'The Ban'.

By some people's logic, there should be a complete boycott of all eircom League games by anyone who disagrees with the actions of Ollie Byrne/Shelbourne over the last number of years.
    Jerry, I have a lot of respect for Pat's fans generally, but that's just twaddle. GAA Central Council (talk about self-aggrandisement!) is doing nothing to stop this ignorance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Personally speaking I hope the Gaa get full control of tallaght. Whatever stops Pats going there is fine with me.

Once thats sorted I'll go back to hating them.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm deadly serious - unfortunately there are many here among you who feel that some version the camp nou is needed to accomodate your prestigious LoI club. I don't share the delusion. A compact ground that lends itself to natural acoustics and atmosphere (Richmond Park is in a riverside 'dip' and is enclosed in a natural way that the "TALLA STANDIUM" never will be - see how many flock out to talla once they spend an afternoon freezing their nuts off with no natural cover - it wont hapen folks). Contrast the scenes on the camac to when we scored v shels to the sscenes at turners cross with their open stand b0ll0x - the only dacent terracing in the LoI and the reason why richmond is the best LoI ground by miles

now I have ended this debate and referenced Jimi Hendrix referencing Bob Dylan IN THE PROCESS so CHECK FACKING MATE!
    Last edited by wws; 31/03/2006 at 11:02 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast