Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan's Warm Weather Training Camp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Stan's Warm Weather Training Camp

From the Indo today. It think this is an good idea.

NEWCASTLE UNITED'S Stephen Carr is in line for a return to the Ireland squad after several heart to heart conversations with Bobby Robson.

The 29-year-old Dubliner retired from international football last autumn after Ireland's failure to qualify for the 2006 World Cup finals.

But following the appointment of Steve Staunton as Brian Kerr's replacement, the arrival of Robson into the Irish management team and the appointment of his former Spurs colleague Robbie Keane as team captain, the signs are that Carr is on his way back.

He is expected to be included in the 30-man squad that Staunton intends naming for his Iberian training camp in May.

"Bobby had a very positive chat with him. Bobby, as you know, lives in that part of the woods. He's spoken to him on numerous occasions, so it's very positive," said Staunton.

The Irish boss explained that the thinking behind the exceptionally large squad was because of his determination to fine tune his Euro 2008 qualification plans at the camp.

"The 30 that will be coming I see as the mainstay for the next two to four years but that's not to say that people won't come in and people won't be left out," said Staunton.

"Most squads would be 20 or 22 players so there will be people disappointed and, as I said before, we don't know who we're going to pick up along the way or how kids might progress."

The Irish boss admitted that his plans could be hit if Leeds United make the Championship Play-off final because her would have to do without Liam Miller and Jonathon Douglas. Staunton also explained his reasons for heading to the Iberian peninsula in the build-up to the May 24 friendly against Chile.

"Basically, the weather. You're never guaranteed it in this country.

"What we will do over those four or five days is for the next two years, because we're not going to get time before the Dutch or German games to do set plays, go through our ideas and show the lads what we're looking for. So this is an ideal opportunity for us."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From the Times by Emmet Malone.

FAI chief executive John Delaney said yesterday he expects the FAI to have almost half of the money - some €30 million - that it is required to put towards the cost of redeveloping Lansdowne Road in cash by the end of next year. Emmet Malone, Soccer Correspondent, reports.

Delaney, speaking after he and Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton had paid a courtesy call on the Minister for Sport John O'Donoghue, said the organisation was already in a strong position financially and with the next 18 months promising to be highly profitable it would achieve the €30 million figure even before a single corporate box for the new ground is sold.

ADVERTISEMENT
    "The fact is that we have reserves of €12 million at the moment and with getting Germany in the qualifying group, the television rights and other factors (such as playing competitive internationals at Croke Park next year) we're confident that we will have €30 million in the bank by then."

The figure may be further boosted by the sale of the FAI's Merrion Square headquarters at the start of 2007 if, as anticipated, office space for up to 200 administrators is in place at Abbotstown by the end of this year.

"The intention is that the space will be available to us by then," he said, "and that we will then be able to have what I would see as a "house of football," with the Leinster FA and Schoolboys FA as well as all of our own people coming together under one roof.

"At that stage we will sit down and decide what to do with Merrion Square but my own preference at this point would be to sell it and put the money towards the cost of the stadium. It's hard to tell what it is worth but with the way the property market here is, it should raise a substantial enough sum."

Asked about reports that some GAA officials are unhappy that the FAI and IRFU would get to use Croke Park next year even if work on the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road has yet to start, he said that the matter was one for the GAA but he added that there had been a series of extremely positive meetings in relation to the usage agreements over the past couple of months and that he was confident the Republic's first scheduled soccer international at the stadium - against Wales next March - would go ahead as planned.

O'Donoghue said he was delighted to see the first phase of the Abbotstown project finally get under way and he said that as soon as the office facilities were in place the laying of pitches and sports facilities would begin.

It is envisaged that this first phase, costing around €120 million, will be completed by the end of 2010 and the minister said that he would soon make appointments to a new board specifically being established to look at ways in which these and other facilities could be used to attract sportspeople to this country during the run-up to the London Olympics.

"The intention is to attract visitors to the country," he said. "We already have a lot of very fine sporting facilities around the country but we believe that by ensuring that phase one of this development is in place in the timeframe envisaged that we are providing an added incentive to those preparing for London to come here first."

Staunton, meanwhile, said he intends to bring a squad of 30 players to Spain or Portugal in May for the training camp he has planned during the build-up to the friendly international against Chile.

The Ireland manager cited the virtual guarantee of good weather in either country as the reason for the trip which, he believes, will stand to his squad "over the next two years."

"It's the only chance we're going to get to spend a few days doing the sort of work on set pieces and other aspects of our game that I want to do," he said.

"It's not going to happen in the build-up to the Holland game or the trip to Germany so it's important that we take the opportunity to do as much as we can on a trip like this.

It is," he added, "a training camp, not a summer camp."

He went on to welcome yesterday's development in relation to Abbotsown, saying the new facility would be a major boost to the development of young players. "As you've heard, the Government and the FAI are working to a four or five-year plan for the development of the game and I've got my own four-year plan too. What we'd all like to see is a situation where there aren't so many youngsters going over to England and then coming back and then being lost to the game because there isn't the proper system for bringing them through in place.

"What something like Abbotstown will mean, when it is fully up and running, is that we'll have something more to offer young players here while even those who do go away will have something better to come home to if things don't work out for them."
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster
    "The 30 that will be coming I see as the mainstay for the next two to four years but that's not to say that people won't come in and people won't be left out," said Staunton.

"Most squads would be 20 or 22 players so there will be people disappointed and, as I said before, we don't know who we're going to pick up along the way or how kids might progress."
    I think it's a good idea too. Will be interesting to see who's included. Apparently they declined a friendly in Finland in June.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Where did you hear that about Finland.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    i dunno , steve carr. fat useless moany hole but i'd have him back cos we're short on cover for finnan. as long as stan doesnt start him ahead of finnan like kerr did.
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How anyone could put him in ahead of Finnan over the last 2 years form was always a mystery to me. Hopefully Stan can actually see what everyone else sees when you compare the two...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say
    we're short on cover for finnan.
    I think Stpehen Kelly is decent cover for Finnan. Its better that the cover we have in most other positions.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Where did you hear that about Finland.
    Examiner online.

I think Kelly has looked far short of international quality in recent games for Spurs. If we had a competitive match this week and Finnan was injured I'd prefer Carr. Edit: Shooter's list reminded me of Joey O'Brien. I'd be a lot happier playing O'Brien at RB than Kelly.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 30/03/2006 at 12:50 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Pretty close to my own 30 I reckon. No McGeady?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What about young Andy Keogh with S****horpe. Hes showing good potential and has scored 14 goals this season!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It was reported that both Kerr and Staunton were in attendance at the u17 game at Richmond pk. I wonder did Brian accuse Stan of undoing all the previous good work by resurrecting dangerous concepts like confidence, expression of ability and players enjoying the task.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    that sc unthorpe thing gets me everytime

kelly is well short of being a full international. given his preformances i expect jol to get in another right back and kelly to be farmed out to a championship or league one team on loan.

joey o brien would be way ahead of him in the pecking order
    I

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    No point using Garvan as he'd be better off with season in the U21s getting a game as opposed to distant squad player.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    wonder will that GAA poster get on here again and tell us how they pioneered this warm weather lark. Innovators they are!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

is the weather so bad in Ireland in May that have to go abroad for training? I think the irish squad getting large egos that want to be locked away in foreign training camp away from irish public...?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Now there's a sensible comment. Considering as how the FAI need to be more prudent than ever what with Lansdowne being refurbished.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    No point using Garvan as he'd be better off with season in the U21s getting a game as opposed to distant squad player.
    Disagree look at Fabregas the other night, still 18. Garvan could be a big player for us from the beginning of the campaign, there is not a lot of top class competition for a place next to Reid.

Suggest we need to be less cautious than under Kerr, & if Garvin is up to it the sooner he is given an opportunity the better. He is certainly not going to develop further with the U21s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    is the weather so bad in Ireland in May that have to go abroad for training?
    possibly yes. why take the chance of wind and rain when there is gauranteed sun and good weather in the south of spain. far more can be done in training when weather is good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne
    why take the chance of wind and rain when there is gauranteed sun and good weather in the south of spain.
    It's quite reasonable to assume that it would be cheaper to spend a week in Spain than it would in Ireland. Combined with the fact that we have almost no proper facilities available to the FAI which could cater for 30 players.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say
    i dunno , steve carr. fat useless moany hole but i'd have him back cos we're short on cover for finnan. as long as stan doesnt start him ahead of finnan like kerr did.

he actually got into soccernet's team-of-the-week last week
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...ngland&cc=5739

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast