Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ireland u17s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    any updates in the game? Any sites even carrying updates the score? Couldn't find any on google.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    any updates in the game? Any sites even carrying updates the score? Couldn't find any on google.
    Game over
    FRIDAY MARCH 31
    Rep of Ireland 0-3 Serbia & M'ro RES

Ireland fail to qualify for the UEFA
    Championship finals.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    The Serbs were very organised and very confident on the ball, the Irish may have had the physical edge, but it was no use against the well organised opposition. The main creative threat had been identified as McDermott and he saw very little of the ball, and when he did he has closed down rapidly, by 3 players at one point. Despite this, McDermott did manage some fine touches and crosses and on at least 2 occasions his play could have led to an equaliser. Again he linked up with captain Lorcan Fitzgerald very well to release him on the overlap.
    Up front Terry Dixon showed why he is being compared at White Hart Lane to Wayne Rooney, his strength and skill on the ball is far beyond his tender years, and was able to force his way past the Serbian defence while keeping control on several occasions, but it all came to nought in front of goal.
    The Serbs also seemed to have anticipated the impact Lorcan Fitzgerald can have on an attack, and were loath to use the right flank, instead concentrating on the left flank and the admittedly impressive number 10 (his name escapes me) who came off the wing to fire in crosses and shots with disturbing ease, even from early in the game.
    While the referee sought to punish any niggling fouls by both teams, and send off 2 Irish players for tackles from behind (both, unfortunately, deserved in my opinion) he didn't seem to be willing to apply the same adherence to the rules to the amount of playacting exhibited by the Serbs. Countless times on going to ground, their players stayed down - perhaps inspired by Awat of Israel several months ago. This part of the game has come under the microscope at senior level in recent weeks, and its revulsion is felt by fans across the board (Chelsea's fans booing their own striker Drogba recently is a fine example) but to see it at this junior level is truly sickening. If FIFA are to send off players for tackles from behind to discourage it at any level of the game, then surely "simulation" must also warrant a punishment of some sort.
    The Serbs took the lead with the game less than a minute old, the ball was not properly cleared by the Irish defence from a free kick and was fired home. This seem to unsettle the Irish and it was late in the half before they had any period of consistent pressure applied to the Serbian defence, while Irish keeper Shane Redmond was kept busy keeping the score at 1-0.
    Gary Breen was the first to leave the field early, a push on the Serb striker as he passed the last player (Breen) enough to earn an early bath. Even after this, the Irish did not lose heart and kept probing at the opposition defence to force an equaliser that ultimately would never come.
    The second sending off was perhaps harsh, a second booking for Arter for dissent, and with it went all hope of a goal. The Serbs scored twice soon after, both times racing free of what remained of a tiring and outnumbered Irish backline to fire past the unfortunate Redmond, who had been outstanding throughout the game.
    The final sending off was for Graham Carey's wild lunge from behind late on.
    The Irish can take heart from the peformance of Redmond in goal, and Fitzgerald and MCDermott on the left side of the park, with Dixon up front also looking extremely promising.
    The final insult of the night must surely have been the news that a draw would have been enough to send this team through.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Thanks tets.
    It sounds like playing 3 games in a week had a negative effect on the players. I know all the teams had to play 3 but it looks like Israel were effected too - maybe it was a result of the hard fought draw in the previous game? Of course having 3 men sent off didn't help either

When do the U19s play? I expect them to do well but consistency is always a problem with the underage teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hard luck to the young lads. Glad to see there are promising young 'uns coming through and if even two of them become regular senior players of at least international standard then that's good.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great report Tets.
    I'd agree that Redmond in goal, along with Fitzgerald and Dixon look quite promising. I was also impressed with Spillane in midfield. Unlike most of the midfielders we've been producing in recent years, he's tall and physically very strong. He's also aggressive, but might lack the engine to really make an impact at a higher level. We didn't really get to see enough of him in midfield as he was moved into defence after the sending off of Breen.
    Disappointing result for us but as mentioned already, the 3 games in a week had an effect on us. In the end, the squad was effectively ravaged by fatigue, injuries and sendings-off.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    While the referee sought to punish any niggling fouls by both teams, and send off 2 Irish players for tackles from behind (both, unfortunately, deserved in my opinion) he didn't seem to be willing to apply the same adherence to the rules to the amount of playacting exhibited by the Serbs. Countless times on going to ground, their players stayed down - perhaps inspired by Awat of Israel several months ago. This part of the game has come under the microscope at senior level in recent weeks, and its revulsion is felt by fans across the board (Chelsea's fans booing their own striker Drogba recently is a fine example) but to see it at this junior level is truly sickening. If FIFA are to send off players for tackles from behind to discourage it at any level of the game, then surely "simulation" must also warrant a punishment of some sort.
    Excellent report tetsujin, agree with more or less all you said. Still not sure about the first sending off, player went down very easy. The main talking point after the match had to be the play-acting and diving by the Serbs. It seems like it is drilled into them from a young age to go down and feign injury at the slighest touch (and sometimes when there isnt even a touch) Very worrying to see players this young acting in this way and something needs to be done about it.

Donal McDermott was definetly Irelands biggest threat, and hopefully is one to watch for the future.
    one shot... Bang Bang!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silentbob
    Still not sure about the first sending off, player went down very easy. The main talking point after the match had to be the play-acting and diving by the Serbs. It seems like it is drilled into them from a young age to go down and feign injury at the slighest touch (and sometimes when there isnt even a touch) Very worrying to see players this young acting in this way and something needs to be done about it.
    Have to agree with you there. When I saw the first red card come out i thought it was against the serbian long haired no 10 for diving. It was only after i saw the irish young fella walk away that i copped on it was for the tackle. very harsh in my opinion.
    I was impressed by Dixon, Spillane, Fitzgerald and No7 who came on with about 10 min to go who's name i didn't catch.
    I thought they played well after they went to 9 men. Missed the first 5 mins so didn't realise that we were 1 down for the best part of the game. Unfortunate to concede the 2 late goals. The final score line didn't accurately reflect the game
    "If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better." Johan Cruyff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Have to say the ref was a disgrace. He was overly fussy and was like a narky school teacher with the players. The 1st sending off was a disgrace. Even down to 10 men the Irish players were dictating the pace of the game and were on top in my view and could have scored a couple of times. The 2nd sending off and the 2nd goal for serbia were killer blows and after that it was desperation stuff in both tackles and play.

Dixon looked class with his touch and his strength. Did not really get a chance to see how good his finishing is.

Mc Dermott was very good also and gave them a bit of a going over evertime he got the ball also.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    thanks tets....the continual comparison of Dixon and Rooney is heartening.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234