Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: David McGoldrick F Notts County b.1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Watched the Ipswich game yesterday. He's a talented player but f*** me if he isn't nonchalant. He would want to improve his workrate a bit if he wants to make the step up. Maybe he's still feeling his way back after injury.
    You sure it's not just his running-style and demeanour that makes him look casual? Is he known to be a lazy player? Surely he wouldn't be playing at the top of the Championship if he was actually a lazy player. He seems a fairly honest lad from the little I've seen of him. How many games have you watched him play in?

Stephen Hunt was a calming influence
    It's not often you'll see "Stephen Hunt" and "calming influence" in the same sentence.

Sammon had a great chance to score before Noel Hunt's goal but, as usual, took an eternity to pull the trigger and the chance was lost. I'm getting tired of defending him at this stage.
    Sure you can always berate him... Why defend some of our players but not others? If it was another of our much-more gifted and celebrated strikers, you'd be digging in to have a go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I issue praise when it's warranted. There hasn't been in much in Keane's performances at Intl. level over the last several years to warrant such praise. But when it does warrant praise, I issue it in kind - Faroe Islands, Georgia friendly, Gibraltar.

And yes Keane is the best striker to ever play for Ireland. His namesake is probably the best midfielder to ever play for Ireland. It doesn't mean I would still play him either.

Why bring up Keane anyways? Does he play for Ipswich?

And I never called McGoldrick "lazy". I said nonchalant. You are just misinterpreting what I say again and being mischievous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Why bring up Keane anyways? Does he play for Ipswich?
    I just found it interesting that your default position for analysis of Sammon was one of defence, but for Robbie, it would seem you come at analysis of his performances from a different angle.

And I never called McGoldrick "lazy". I said nonchalant. You are just misinterpreting what I say again and being mischievous.
    Am I? You explicitly stated you thought he'd need to improve his work-rate. Forgive me for assuming you were calling him lazy... In what way ought he improve his work-rate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    He is nonchalant.... He needs to improve his workrate.... He is more naturally talented and skilful than Sammon..... Sammon works harder..... I qualified what I said by saying he may be feeling his way back after a lengthy injury spell.... Never mentioned the word lazy once.... You did....

If you honestly think he acquitted himself as much as Murphy, perhaps you need to watch the match again.

Again. Why bring up Keane? Totally irrelevant and off topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Judging from the USA game, I would agree that he appears nonchalant. I haven't really seen him play a full game otherwise. Maybe that's not a bad thing though, we've had enough fellas that will run through walls and create little or nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Exactly. Sammon & Cox can run all day but I would rather have the poise of a McGoldrick than the bluntness of those players.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I can't imagine Mick would tolerate a player who's not pulling his weight. He looks nonchalant alright, but I was keeping an eye on him in the USA match and he constantly on the move, making intelligent runs, keeping the centre halves honest in possession. He might not chase shadows and race the corner flag like your typical Kevin Doyle-style workhorse, but he's not a lazy player from what I have seen.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Nonchalant is one thing, but anyone being told he needs to improve his work rate is being told he isn't working hard enough. It's splitting hairs and engaging in wordsmithery to say that's not the same as lazy. There are degrees of laziness. Bone idle is one extreme, could work harder is probably the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    He is nonchalant.... He needs to improve his workrate.... He is more naturally talented and skilful than Sammon..... Sammon works harder..... I qualified what I said by saying he may be feeling his way back after a lengthy injury spell.... Never mentioned the word lazy once.... You did....
    Lazy: "Averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion."

If you're saying he would want to improve his work-rate, aren't you saying he's averse or disinclined to work, or lazy, in other words? If not, then what do you mean exactly? How should he go about improving his work-rate? Perhaps his instructions don't include a requirement to expend energy chasing down opponents seeing as his skills are more technical in nature/he's better with the ball at his feet so should be focusing on getting into good receiving positions for when his team-mates do win back possession?

If you honestly think he acquitted himself as much as Murphy, perhaps you need to watch the match again.
    Where has this comparison come from? I didn't see the game and mentioned nothing of Murphy. I was simply inviting you to clarify your position on McGoldrick.

Again. Why bring up Keane? Totally irrelevant and off topic.
    I already explained why. It was because I sensed an inconsistency in how you approach analysis of the two players; Sammon and Keane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Nonchalant - (of a person or manner) feeling or appearing casually calm and relaxed; not displaying anxiety, interest, or enthusiasm.

e.g. "Mario Balotelli scored a lovely nonchalant backheel goal in training."

Danny, seriously stop overanalysing what I said. I said he looked nonchalant in one game I happened to be watching and queried whether he was still feeling his way back from injury. I complimented his technical skills. I pointed out that he has different attributes to Murphy & Sammon. You are agreeing with me in a roundabout way now FGS.

You mean how I criticised Sammon? Keane is not beyond criticism and Sammon, McShane & Ward can be praised.

Stop bringing up Keane on threads to have a go at me. I feel like I cannot say anything about anyone without worrying about you making it about Keane.

I have praised Keane several times but you think it is heresy to honestly appraise his performances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Whatever about him being nonchalant (although you did seem to be making a connection between his nonchalance and his work-rate initially), I was strictly referring to you stating he'd want to improve his work-rate. I think he has a casual demeanour, but saying he has a low work-rate on that basis would be unfair.

I'd assumed you were referring to his general play because you said he is nonchalant and would need to improve his work-rate rather than was. If you were referring to that one game, then fair enough, although your phrasing didn't suggest that at all.

Why should I stop analysing what you say? A lot of it happens to be seriously suspect. If you'd rather your opinions weren't analysed and queried, stop offering them and involving yourself in debates. It's simple really.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Please slap me hard if i ever use the word honest in any football related speak.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Please slap me hard if i ever use the word honest in any football related speak.
    That's hardly the only reason we could give you a slap?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    does that apply retrospectively?
    Unfortunately for Coleman players aren't as honest as he is.they don't have that gaa background stop that soccer sh1te playacting attitude.

I do feel unless he changes he will cost us one yet. Hopefully it won't be too important of a game.

Everything I've seen so far of him has been pretty accurate.
    That's just one of many results from a search of the term "honest" in your posts
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 01/12/2014 at 6:56 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I have no reason to doubt TOWK's word, and I only watched the Football League Show highlights, but there was one moment in the second half when McGoldrick tracked back to half-way, won the ball back with a very solid sliding tackle and launched an attack.

I was impressed, particularly since it made me think that it showed he had a bit of work rate.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Gladly.

All I meant was that he didn't seem like a chancer or like a player with a poor attitude who would go out of his way to drag his feet. He seemed keen. But certainly correct me if my impression is mistaken. Would he really be playing at the top of the Championship if his general work-rate was suspect?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Exactly. Sammon & Cox can run all day but I would rather have the poise of a McGoldrick than the bluntness of those players.
    There is a difference between being lazy and being efficient, you have to use your energy where you get the best return from it.

Running yourself into the ground chasing lost causes like headless chicken is not the best use of energy.

Using your head a bit can make up for a lot of leg work.

McGoldrick may not do a lot but he does seem to be productive when he does do something whereas other
    expend a lot of energy producing nothing productive. If there is no end product it is pointless.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    I have no reason to doubt TOWK's word, and I only watched the Football League Show highlights, but there was one moment in the second half when McGoldrick tracked back to half-way, won the ball back with a very solid sliding tackle and launched an attack.

I was impressed, particularly since it made me think that it showed he had a bit of work rate.
    Yes I think I say that and was impressed too, yu would have to watch a lot of highlights to see some of our midfielders doing similar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Danny, I'm not going to stop posting because you have a grudge.

Again, stop overanalysing what I say. I said he was nonchalant. Someone said the same thing in the USA game thread and you didn't pull them up on it. You are making out that I insulted the player when I complimented him and offered constructive criticism that he could work a little harder if he wants to make the step up to PL & Intl. level. Again, I queried if this was because he was still working his way back to full fitness.

It's common enough parlance, Danny. Should I ask my Granny to start going to football trials because people say their Granny is better at defending than Stephen Ward?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    So he's not lazy, but he needs to work harder because he might be lazy, depending on if he's minding himself or not. Got it.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast