Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: David McGoldrick F Notts County b.1987

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Yes I'm not too bothered about that I have to say. He could only play in one more campaign anyway and it's one where we have virtually no chance of qualifying. So let's use this year to blood some new players and judge Stephen Kenny on performances rather than qualification.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

2. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Any idea why he didn't make the matchday squad on the weekend?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Yes I'm not too bothered about that I have to say. He could only play in one more campaign anyway and it's one where we have virtually no chance of qualifying. So let's use this year to blood some new players and judge Stephen Kenny on performances rather than qualification.
    No credit to McGoldrick - he knows we need him but stays retired. Good riddance.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Another masterful performance from David McGoldrick with the only goal in a 1-0 win home to Brighton. He played the full match and was the best player on the park by a mile. He's on 30k a week and has another year left on his deal, I'd say he'd be a great pickup for a Premier League club, even at his advanced age. The guy just works his socks off in every match I watch him play.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Another masterful performance from David McGoldrick with the only goal in a 1-0 win home to Brighton. He played the full match and was the best player on the park by a mile. He's on 30k a week and has another year left on his deal, I'd say he'd be a great pickup for a Premier League club, even at his advanced age. The guy just works his socks off in every match I watch him play.
    His country needed him and he (stayed) retired. Feck him, his socks and his 30k. Good riddance. Same to Duff, Higgins and former Manchester United player R. M. Keane.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No need to say feck him. He's entitled to do what he needs to do to prolong his career for me.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    No need to say feck him. He's entitled to do what he needs to do to prolong his career for me.
    Why do any of them bother to play international football then ?

As it goes International Soccer has become a bit of a joke. Some of these fellas are just plain mercenaries and will use international football when they are younger ( Not McGoldrick in this case ) to help their careers and then do as they please later on.

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well I don't know their reasons for playing international football but it's well understood that the older you get, the more recovery time you need, and having those weeks to train and recover rather than getting on flights and playing games can be vital. McGoldrick never gave anything less than 100% for Ireland so I couldn't begrudge him extending his club career by a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well I don't know their reasons for playing international football but it's well understood that the older you get, the more recovery time you need, and having those weeks to train and recover rather than getting on flights and playing games can be vital. McGoldrick never gave anything less than 100% for Ireland so I couldn't begrudge him extending his club career by a bit.
    He was great for us. Appreciate having him for the short time we did. Shame his career really kicked off so late in his career. Wish him all the best
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    He was great for us. Appreciate having him for the short time we did. Shame his career really kicked off so late in his career. Wish him all the best
    He was good, he wasn't great. He scored one goal in 14 internationals. If Ireland were a chance to qualify for the WC Finals I believe he would have played on to then retire on a high. Bravo. Instead, with the opposite the case, he said goodbye. In a nutshell, Ireland needs him but he doesn't need Ireland.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    He was good, he wasn't great. He scored one goal in 14 internationals. If Ireland were a chance to qualify for the WC Finals I believe he would have played on to then retire on a high. Bravo. Instead, with the opposite the case, he said goodbye. In a nutshell, Ireland needs him but he doesn't need Ireland.
    Great for Eire was good old Tony Galvin whio was at his time the best left side attacking midfielder in the English first division for almost 5/7 years in a row and he didnt retire, big Jack retired him just before the WC, he got his final injury even though he was invited to be in the camp as an assistant.

Who was the second best left side attacking midfielder at the same time? A certain Kevin Sheedy.

In the decision Galvin or Sheedy big Jack was always right, Tony Galvin was the all rounded better player of the two, but I still think that Charlton could have played them both at the same time with Ronny and McGrath, what a powerful and crafty midfield!! They all played together once I think in that 1-1 vs URSS a match that was described by many of you as the best world class performance from any irish team to this day. In that matched Galvin was motm and was mouled by Dassaev in the box, a penalty not given could have been a 2-0 win and the semifinal match.

And without doing any revinisionism I will always feel that Jack could have used a more expansive football strategy as was always asked by Liam Brady and Ronny Whelan, we could have been a wc winners in our debut. On Kevin Sheedy he scored that goal vs England he got his reward and that lovely world class penalty vs Rumania.

Tony Galvin was great for Eire, David McGoldrick was adequate and when needed the most he stopped, to prolong his premiership footie carrer, well let me tell you Mr. McGoldrick your team was demoted to division 2 the championship this season, you couldnt prolong it.

Best wishes to all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    He was far and away our best player in a below average team. He rarely put a foot wrong. He is not an out and out striker but more of a no.10.
    He set up the goal V Gibraltar. He scored V Switzerland. His efforts made the first goal V Gibraltar at home happen.

In a time where we were turgid, I thought he was great. And about the only player I felt could make something happen for us

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    He was far and away our best player in a below average team. He rarely put a foot wrong. He is not an out and out striker but more of a no.10.
    He set up the goal V Gibraltar. He scored V Switzerland. His efforts made the first goal V Gibraltar at home happen.

In a time where we were turgid, I thought he was great. And about the only player I felt could make something happen for us
    I cannot agree he was great - he was a good, hard-working player. But until latter games when he changed roles, he had under-achieved in his primary role - scoring. Branding that campaign turgid renders the current one indescribable.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    He was alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Branding that campaign turgid renders the current one indescribable.
    I'll stand by it.
    Though I do support Kenny's attempts to change the culture of the international team. Not sure he'll achieve it.

Was McGoldrick's sole purpose to score goals?

Not sure as he's never been a very prolific goalscorer. Except for a loan spell at Coventry which was League 1.

I think his job, and what he's always done best, was to hold up the ball and bring others into the game.
    Watch the 4-1 friendly win over USA for example. Before he got a proper run in the team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He is/was our best player
    Which doesn't say much for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    *best forward. All our best players are defenders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Scored again today, his 8th in the PL this year. Respectable return given the team he's in. He was voted their player of the season this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Scored again today, his 8th in the PL this year. Respectable return given the team he's in. He was voted their player of the season this week.
    40% of their total goal tally. Goes to show how little the other strikes have contributed.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Teeside Gazette today endorsing the report in 'The Sun' that Chris Wilder wants to bring McGoldrick - 34 and a free agent - to Middlesbrough.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast