Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 381 to 397 of 397

Thread: David McGoldrick (F Sheffield Utd b.1987)

  1. #381
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,314
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    65
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    413
    Thanked in
    287 Posts
    Yes I'm not too bothered about that I have to say. He could only play in one more campaign anyway and it's one where we have virtually no chance of qualifying. So let's use this year to blood some new players and judge Stephen Kenny on performances rather than qualification.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #382
    Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,678
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,030
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    157
    Thanked in
    117 Posts
    Any idea why he didn't make the matchday squad on the weekend?

  4. #383
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    98
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    28
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Yes I'm not too bothered about that I have to say. He could only play in one more campaign anyway and it's one where we have virtually no chance of qualifying. So let's use this year to blood some new players and judge Stephen Kenny on performances rather than qualification.
    No credit to McGoldrick - he knows we need him but stays retired. Good riddance.

  5. #384
    Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,678
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,030
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    157
    Thanked in
    117 Posts
    Another masterful performance from David McGoldrick with the only goal in a 1-0 win home to Brighton. He played the full match and was the best player on the park by a mile. He's on 30k a week and has another year left on his deal, I'd say he'd be a great pickup for a Premier League club, even at his advanced age. The guy just works his socks off in every match I watch him play.

  6. #385
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    98
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    28
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Another masterful performance from David McGoldrick with the only goal in a 1-0 win home to Brighton. He played the full match and was the best player on the park by a mile. He's on 30k a week and has another year left on his deal, I'd say he'd be a great pickup for a Premier League club, even at his advanced age. The guy just works his socks off in every match I watch him play.
    His country needed him and he (stayed) retired. Feck him, his socks and his 30k. Good riddance. Same to Duff, Higgins and former Manchester United player R. M. Keane.

  7. #386
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,431
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,848
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,253
    Thanked in
    3,330 Posts
    No need to say feck him. He's entitled to do what he needs to do to prolong his career for me.

  8. #387
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,886
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,040
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    461
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    No need to say feck him. He's entitled to do what he needs to do to prolong his career for me.
    Why do any of them bother to play international football then ?

    As it goes International Soccer has become a bit of a joke. Some of these fellas are just plain mercenaries and will use international football when they are younger ( Not McGoldrick in this case ) to help their careers and then do as they please later on.

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #388
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,431
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,848
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,253
    Thanked in
    3,330 Posts
    Well I don't know their reasons for playing international football but it's well understood that the older you get, the more recovery time you need, and having those weeks to train and recover rather than getting on flights and playing games can be vital. McGoldrick never gave anything less than 100% for Ireland so I couldn't begrudge him extending his club career by a bit.

  11. #389
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ceatharlach
    Posts
    2,486
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    898
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    613
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well I don't know their reasons for playing international football but it's well understood that the older you get, the more recovery time you need, and having those weeks to train and recover rather than getting on flights and playing games can be vital. McGoldrick never gave anything less than 100% for Ireland so I couldn't begrudge him extending his club career by a bit.
    He was great for us. Appreciate having him for the short time we did. Shame his career really kicked off so late in his career. Wish him all the best
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

  12. #390
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    98
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    28
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    He was great for us. Appreciate having him for the short time we did. Shame his career really kicked off so late in his career. Wish him all the best
    He was good, he wasn't great. He scored one goal in 14 internationals. If Ireland were a chance to qualify for the WC Finals I believe he would have played on to then retire on a high. Bravo. Instead, with the opposite the case, he said goodbye. In a nutshell, Ireland needs him but he doesn't need Ireland.

  13. #391
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    857
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    45
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    He was good, he wasn't great. He scored one goal in 14 internationals. If Ireland were a chance to qualify for the WC Finals I believe he would have played on to then retire on a high. Bravo. Instead, with the opposite the case, he said goodbye. In a nutshell, Ireland needs him but he doesn't need Ireland.
    Great for Eire was good old Tony Galvin whio was at his time the best left side attacking midfielder in the English first division for almost 5/7 years in a row and he didnt retire, big Jack retired him just before the WC, he got his final injury even though he was invited to be in the camp as an assistant.

    Who was the second best left side attacking midfielder at the same time? A certain Kevin Sheedy.

    In the decision Galvin or Sheedy big Jack was always right, Tony Galvin was the all rounded better player of the two, but I still think that Charlton could have played them both at the same time with Ronny and McGrath, what a powerful and crafty midfield!! They all played together once I think in that 1-1 vs URSS a match that was described by many of you as the best world class performance from any irish team to this day. In that matched Galvin was motm and was mouled by Dassaev in the box, a penalty not given could have been a 2-0 win and the semifinal match.

    And without doing any revinisionism I will always feel that Jack could have used a more expansive football strategy as was always asked by Liam Brady and Ronny Whelan, we could have been a wc winners in our debut. On Kevin Sheedy he scored that goal vs England he got his reward and that lovely world class penalty vs Rumania.

    Tony Galvin was great for Eire, David McGoldrick was adequate and when needed the most he stopped, to prolong his premiership footie carrer, well let me tell you Mr. McGoldrick your team was demoted to division 2 the championship this season, you couldnt prolong it.

    Best wishes to all

  14. #392
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ceatharlach
    Posts
    2,486
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    898
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    613
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    He was good, he wasn't great. He scored one goal in 14 internationals. If Ireland were a chance to qualify for the WC Finals I believe he would have played on to then retire on a high. Bravo. Instead, with the opposite the case, he said goodbye. In a nutshell, Ireland needs him but he doesn't need Ireland.
    He was far and away our best player in a below average team. He rarely put a foot wrong. He is not an out and out striker but more of a no.10.
    He set up the goal V Gibraltar. He scored V Switzerland. His efforts made the first goal V Gibraltar at home happen.

    In a time where we were turgid, I thought he was great. And about the only player I felt could make something happen for us
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

  15. #393
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    98
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    28
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    He was far and away our best player in a below average team. He rarely put a foot wrong. He is not an out and out striker but more of a no.10.
    He set up the goal V Gibraltar. He scored V Switzerland. His efforts made the first goal V Gibraltar at home happen.

    In a time where we were turgid, I thought he was great. And about the only player I felt could make something happen for us
    I cannot agree he was great - he was a good, hard-working player. But until latter games when he changed roles, he had under-achieved in his primary role - scoring. Branding that campaign turgid renders the current one indescribable.

  16. #394
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,886
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,040
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    461
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    He was alright.

  17. #395
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ceatharlach
    Posts
    2,486
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    898
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    613
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Branding that campaign turgid renders the current one indescribable.
    I'll stand by it.
    Though I do support Kenny's attempts to change the culture of the international team. Not sure he'll achieve it.

    Was McGoldrick's sole purpose to score goals?

    Not sure as he's never been a very prolific goalscorer. Except for a loan spell at Coventry which was League 1.

    I think his job, and what he's always done best, was to hold up the ball and bring others into the game.
    Watch the 4-1 friendly win over USA for example. Before he got a proper run in the team.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

  18. #396
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,463
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    21
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    347
    Thanked in
    260 Posts
    He is/was our best player
    Which doesn't say much for us.

  19. #397
    Coach John83's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,761
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,434
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    738
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    *best forward. All our best players are defenders.
    Covid-negative, maybe; I haven't checked.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13/06/2020, 9:10 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13/06/2020, 1:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02/12/2019, 11:50 AM
  4. RTE: McGoldrick in frame for Sheffield United return
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16/10/2019, 2:00 PM
  5. RTE: Sheffield United deserve more respect - McGoldrick
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03/09/2019, 2:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •