Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: David McGoldrick F Notts County b.1987

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Agreed a 442/4411 with Connolly currently looks the best bet would also like to see a McGoldrick/Long combination in a similar shape.
    Let's see how Idah and obafemi get on as well. Unlike troy they will get game time over the next few months

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Extended contract for McGoldrick at Sheffield United: https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2020/jun...drick-commits/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    David McGoldrick breaks duck with brace as Blades bash Chelsea [rte]

I don't know if a video like this will stay up long, but here's the highlights

Wilder on McGoldrick:
    “To play centre-forward for Sheffield United you have to have some ability and to come through this season without goals… but what people think about him and what the fans think – that shows you what he is all about.

“He deserves every reward tonight because it’s been a difficult period so to get two goals tonight we’re delighted for him.”
    Source: [football365]
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 13/07/2020 at 9:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Has been the subject of racist abuse I believe. Just read a headline so no more info as of yet
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Has been the subject of racist abuse I believe. Just read a headline so no more info as of yet
    Details here:
    https://www.football365.com/news/she...vid-mcgoldrick

"It comes a day after West Midlands Police arrested a 12-year-old boy in relation to racist abuse sent to Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha on social media." I am a bit aghast at this. Partly at the neck on the little **** to be sending racist abuse, and partly on the idea that 12 year olds are being arrested for what they say online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    James McClean's two cents.

For what it's worth he definitely is a confrontational character that has made some silly mistakes but I do think he's bang on.
    Some may say the timing is wrong but I think it's right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/com...cist_messages/

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    A little tangent on that but you could draw a comprison between Colin Kapernick and McClean in that they both adopted an "unconventional" pose in response to national anthems. It earned Kapernick a shed load of abuse but lost him his NFL career. It earned McClean a shed load of abuse too but he has maintained a career and, whilst maybe clubs have steered clear of him as a result of it, it hasn't impacted his club career significantly. He has played at his level since he began receiving attention for his bowed head and lack of a poppy.

Now, Kapernick may have his career rejuvenated by this. There is definitely a tide of broader support with him at present and it has taken the surge in the BLM movement for him to gain this.

I don't ever see the abuse McClean suffers subsiding but there may come a time when the whispers and murmurs of reason amongst the media in England become louder and more widespread. Like Kapernick, though, it may take an extreme event for this to occur and I don't want to imagine what form that extreme event could come in. A United Ireland perhaps is the only thing coming to mind that I would see as being an extreme event and a positive one too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    James McClean's two cents.

For what it's worth he definitely is a confrontational character that has made some silly mistakes but I do think he's bang on.
    Some may say the timing is wrong but I think it's right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/com...cist_messages/
    If James Blacked Up that would certainly Bring Some Attention. He is the Wrong Colour and Irish = Not the Correct Credentials ! !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    A little tangent on that but you could draw a comprison between Colin Kapernick and McClean in that they both adopted an "unconventional" pose in response to national anthems. It earned Kapernick a shed load of abuse but lost him his NFL career. It earned McClean a shed load of abuse too but he has maintained a career and, whilst maybe clubs have steered clear of him as a result of it, it hasn't impacted his club career significantly. He has played at his level since he began receiving attention for his bowed head and lack of a poppy.

Now, Kapernick may have his career rejuvenated by this. There is definitely a tide of broader support with him at present and it has taken the surge in the BLM movement for him to gain this.

I don't ever see the abuse McClean suffers subsiding but there may come a time when the whispers and murmurs of reason amongst the media in England become louder and more widespread. Like Kapernick, though, it may take an extreme event for this to occur and I don't want to imagine what form that extreme event could come in. A United Ireland perhaps is the only thing coming to mind that I would see as being an extreme event and a positive one too.
    Kaepernick has signed some new contract with a broadcaster / or someone worth absolute Millions. His football days are over , probably because he was not good enough especially after not playing / not been good enough for a couple of years now ! !

Kaepernick had no history of activism in College / anywhere until he got “ benched ‘ for a White Man ! ! !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Initially I would have thought there was a difference of context between the abuses
    David is getting it because of skin colour alone. James is getting it primarily because of an ideological stance in regards to the sacred poppy cow.
    James being Irish was an addendum, an add on.

But when it is added on, it becomes racist abuse, the same racism.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Once Mcclean put on the balaclava "teaching his kids history " he lost any sympathy I had for him. The man is a moron.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Once Mcclean put on the balaclava "teaching his kids history " he lost any sympathy I had for him. The man is a moron.
    Whether he has your sympathy or not is beside the point.
    The sectarian and racial abuse he gets week in, week out is completely unacceptable.
    And neither the FA nor English media have taken a strong stand against it.

Because he didn't tow the imperialist line and wear the poppy he is abused at every game.
    Because he actually stood up for his beliefs and has a political conscience, unlike most footballers.
    A weaker character would have folded by now.

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Whether he has your sympathy or not is beside the point.
    The sectarian and racial abuse he gets week in, week out is completely unacceptable.
    And neither the FA nor English media have taken a strong stand against it.

Because he didn't tow the imperialist line and wear the poppy he is abused at every game.
    Because he actually stood up for his beliefs and has a political conscience, unlike most footballers.
    A weaker character would have folded by now.
    And the balaclava incident? Any comment on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    And the balaclava incident? Any comment on that.
    It was really stupid.
    But it's beside the point. It doesn't justify the abuse he gets.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Nothing justifies abuse, but my sympathy for his abuse eroded when he did that. I would love to know why in the name of jesus does he have a balaclava in his gaff

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8518369/James-McClean-hits-lack-support-Wilfried-Zaha-David-McGoldrick-racist-abuse.html

I don’t have access to the comments but you can bet your bottom dollar they are horrible ! !
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 14/07/2020 at 1:13 AM. Reason: removed link

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Disgusted by the abuse received by McGoldrick, but delighted that he finally broke his Premier League duck after ensuring that he also has at least one international goal to his name (hopefully half a dozen more before he retires!) - there's no other player I'd be happier to get a three-yard tap-in!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It was really stupid.
    But it's beside the point. It doesn't justify the abuse he gets.
    I'm not sure it's completely beside the point. The abuse it wrong of course and it has often been swept under the carpet compared to other incidents, but the outpouring of support is obviously going to diminish for an attention seeker who clearly thrives on winding people up. And anyway, the more recent McClean incidents have been reported in the British media and he's been backed by both his clubs and the PFA.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It is completly besides the point when it comes to racist ethnic abuse.
    The usual misdirections used to explain the abuse directed against players like McClean /Neil Lennon, 'he goes out of his way to wind us up', 'he's not likable' 'we don't abuse other irish players therefore it's McClean's/Lennon's fault', 'he doesn't help himself, he's just an attention seeker', are all completly besides the point.

After years of obvious and blatant ugly ethnic abuse directed against McClean in football stadiums, finally in 2020 some action of support was taken by football clubs and the PFA, after pressure from 'kick it out' and McClean himself, that the abuse against a person of irish ethnicity was just as serious as other racist abuse such as was directed against McGoldrick. Throw a banana at a black player, the offender is banned for life, abuse McClean and it's okay - he's uppity irish.

One thing is missing from McClean's perspective is that it has taken many more decades for the FA to take on board even the more blatant incidents of racist abuse. One does not have to go back very far when the FA were pathetic in response to the very public racist abuse, eg monkey chants, from hundreds of supporters such as was regularily directed at Mido in the north of England in 2007.

25. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    McClean was getting abuse for years before he started fighting back and "winding people up"

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast