Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: David McGoldrick F Notts County b.1987

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Where did it all go wrong after last season. Obviously Premier League clubs worked out how to play against the Sheffield Utd way. This is where the manager need stop come up with another way to play.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Where did it all go wrong after last season. Obviously Premier League clubs worked out how to play against the Sheffield Utd way. This is where the manager need stop come up with another way to play.
    I think the keeper is also a big factor. Henderson is significantly better than Ramsdale. A good keeper can be worth so many points across a season... Henderson was probably one of the 5 best keepers in the league last season, whereas Ramsdale has probably been about 18th or 19th this season

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think the keeper is also a big factor. Henderson is significantly better than Ramsdale. A good keeper can be worth so many points across a season... Henderson was probably one of the 5 best keepers in the league last season, whereas Ramsdale has probably been about 18th or 19th this season
    Peter Shilton at Nottingham Forest would be a Prime Example from back in the Day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    last season they started very well and built some momentum. this season they have looked a bit jaded from the off, got off to a dreadful start and have not been able to recover. saw a little of the spurs game and they just didn't seem anywhere near as intense as they did last season. it was all very sloppy and half hearted

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    The injury to O’Connell was also massive. Himself and Egan were excellent last season

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    We should really sit on mcgoldrick and ask him to come out retirement . Who can link the play like him at the moment

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    The guy is brilliant. Why wasn't he playing for us ten years ago?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Didn't get his passport until 2014
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    The guy is brilliant. Why wasn't he playing for us ten years ago?
    We had better strikers 10 years ago. It’s pretty established at this point that McGoldrick was a late bloomer. Easy to say he would have made a difference had we brought him in sooner but it doesn’t really line up with what McGoldrick was doing in his club career at the time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    We had better strikers 10 years ago. It’s pretty established at this point that McGoldrick was a late bloomer. Easy to say he would have made a difference had we brought him in sooner but it doesn’t really line up with what McGoldrick was doing in his club career at the time.
    This is a piece from 7 years ago. McGoldrick was definitely underused by O’Neill

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephen-hunt-mcgoldrick-can-be-national-asset-now-penny-has-dropped-30638639.html

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    I would give MON a pass for not utilizing him. For some unknown and bizarre reason David Mcgoldrick jogged around the pitch when he came on v Austria away.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    I think McGoldrick himself is to blame as much as anyone. Clearly he has always been an incredibly talented player but for whatever reason didn't apply himself fully until the later years of his career. Could have played at a much higher level for longer and possibly been an important player for us at Euro 2016 if he had done.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I would give MON a pass for not utilizing him. For some unknown and bizarre reason David Mcgoldrick jogged around the pitch when he came on v Austria away.
    he was also given a start against England at home in 2015 and didn't impress.
    i didn't hear too many people calling for his inclusion in the team back then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    He was brilliant V USA in a friendly. Set up a goal for Pilkington with an exquisite Hoolahanesque pass and both were barely seen again under O'Neill. Also set up a goal for Brady that night I think
    Last edited by Fixer82; 28/01/2021 at 10:15 PM.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    He was slow to buy in to playing for Ireland and didn’t hang around for too long after getting a taste of it = = All of his choices as it goes !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    he was also given a start against England at home in 2015 and didn't impress.
    i didn't hear too many people calling for his inclusion in the team back then
    Yeah, sure, but MON was famous for giving players no instruction, not telling them what position etc etc. The moment Mick arrived, he was a different player. I hold MON accountable for not being able to give McGoldrick the instruction he needed...

I could be wrong but that’s my belief

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    He was slow to buy in to playing for Ireland !
    I don’t think that’s true. He was unaware he qualified. As far as I remember, it was something like: he was adopted or his mother was adopted and the adoptive family were irish and he spend time here and felt irish. But he thought he was ineligible because it was adoptive rather than biological. Then later, he was able to research and found out about his biological grandparents and that they were irish as well, which made it clear he qualified... and he went and got a passport then

Something along those lines.

Was also eligible for Scotland - who chased him before us but he rejected them

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    He didn’t hang around too long after he eventually did start playing regularly. Again his own decision.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    The timing of his exit is questionable to me also, we have a clutch of young forwards who might come to something and might not but we needed this guy for the coming couple of years and he walked. And without any convincing reason also you could argue.

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    The timing of his exit is questionable to me also, we have a clutch of young forwards who might come to something and might not but we needed this guy for the coming couple of years and he walked. And without any convincing reason also you could argue.
    I guess the argument is that he’ll be 35 when the World Cup is on. I’d be interested comparing his age of retirement/age of next tournament to the likes of Keane, Doyle, Murphy, Long and Walters to see if he’s much of an outlier.

And in the 2 squads under Kenny he was involved in, he got injured in both of them and lost his place in the Sheffield team to Rhian Brewster who they spent £24m on. Obviously things looked differently in November to now. He regained his place and has looked Sheffield’s best player.

Huge loss for us though. He offers qualities which none of the young lads have... I’d definitely love if he decided to unretire

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast