Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: David McGoldrick F Notts County b.1987

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    The timing of his exit is questionable to me also, we have a clutch of young forwards who might come to something and might not but we needed this guy for the coming couple of years and he walked. And without any convincing reason also you could argue.
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I guess the argument is that he’ll be 35 when the World Cup is on. I’d be interested comparing his age of retirement/age of next tournament to the likes of Keane, Doyle, Murphy, Long and Walters to see if he’s much of an outlier.

And in the 2 squads under Kenny he was involved in, he got injured in both of them and lost his place in the Sheffield team to Rhian Brewster who they spent £24m on. Obviously things looked differently in November to now. He regained his place and has looked Sheffield’s best player.

Huge loss for us though. He offers qualities which none of the young lads have... I’d definitely love if he decided to unretire
    Walters - nearly 35; Murphy - Nearly 34; Doyle - 34; Keane - 36. I guess the fact that he has reached the Premier League for the last couple of years of his career and wants to make that as good as it can be is a major factor, plus as Elatedscum said, he will be 35 when the World Cup actually takes place

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    He would have played in euro 2021 if we had qualified which is in june. The qualification for the WC starts in March. I would be keen to know if kenny will try to coax him back.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    that ship has sailed away, folks!!! Adieu

If we are in the mood of the "experience forward up front role" we still have some other options around: James Collins, Shane Long, Cillian Sheridan, Scott Hogan, Joe Mason are all better options in that particular role than Callum Robinson, Aaron Connolly, Troy Parrott, Adam Idah, Sean Maguire. That's a fact.

Even we could use James McClean as a forward, but I dont know.

As for David, I think he doesnt fit in Kenny's vision as a 9. Could play as the attacking midfielder in the 4-3-3 but his legs are gone for that role. He needs a 4-4-1-1 to do his thing or the 3-5-2 for the blades

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It did seem a soft decision by McGoldrick to retire at a time when he was still first team material

After a 2020 play-off defeat, Iceland's 38 year old central defender Kari was asked the retirement question post match, he replied 'even if it was blatantly obvious that it was over for him he still couldn't go to that place where he would have to consider that it was all over, it's an intolerably painful feeling that you will never play for your country again'.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    He also our best player

I think people believe it to be Coleman or Doherty, its not its McGoldrick

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    The problem with McGoldrick is he doesnt fit in for Kenny's formation, he needs freedom to play his thing,

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Is McGoldrick what happens when a player doesn't really feel Irish? Was good for his career to play international football when he was a Championship player but now that he's in Premiership it doesn't matter as much?

I'm not a fan of him in general and I don't really care that he's retired. In the short term he would probably be 1st choice but he's a journeyman footballer whos had a nice end to his career. He has talent so I would question his attitude that it took him so long to make it as a Premiership footballer.

His goal record for us isn't exactly going to be hard to replace. Connolly, Idah, Parrott or even Scully could hopefully bypass his record in a couple of years

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Is McGoldrick what happens when a player doesn't really feel Irish? Was good for his career to play international football when he was a Championship player but now that he's in Premiership it doesn't matter as much
    Its very possible in this scenario yes I feel. If you're in his position in team, at this stage of its evolution bringing vital experience in a key area while playing a high level club ball, while others find their feet you don't walk away as he did if you feel truly Irish.

Quoting the retirement ages of Keane ( who played till he dropped ) Walters & Doyle were finished by injuries while wanting to play on and Murphy was a squad guy, is neither here nor there in comparison to this McGoldrick situation IMO.

There was a bit of work to do, no glory to be had so McGoldrick didn't fancy it basically, isn't that quite possible here ?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Im firmly of the opinion that Kenny should start the campaign with a team that suits the structure that he wants to move forward with. Ive said in other threads that I believe that this would in some cases mean bringing in a young player to replace a more experienced player who doesnt necessarily suit how Kenny wants to play. Kelleher for Randolph and O'Shea for Duffy are most obvious examples.

In McGoldricks case he was talked about as man of the match in the playoff against Slovakia when I thought he was actually terrible. He was in every position on the pitch except the one he was actually supposed to be playing in. Its all well and good running around the pitch like a mad man making it look like he was working hard. He was getting on the ball in areas that werent hurting the Slovaks and not giving us the outlet we needed up front. Theres a reason he only has 1 goal in 14 games for us.

My point being, that like the other examples, even if McGoldrick hadnt retired I would still rather pick one of the younger strikers that might suit his system better as the point of the attack and let them develop into the role, instead of sticking with McGoldrick who doesnt have the discipline to lead the line like Kenny wants.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    El Bambino Pons the uruguayan official commentator on espn is creaming his pants on McGoldrick labelled him as a player of great category of flair!!

Egan is playing really well today, a Baresi kind of performance as a libero in a back 3

There are some videos of El Bambino Pons on youtube as how this crazy as a horse uruguayan sings and narrates the matches live, there is a video of Thierry Henry on him, that Van Nistelrooy sent him when at Man U.The guy sings songs from the beatles and the stones or u 2 when somebody scores crazy stuff, this guy is a character!!
    Last edited by Bielsa´s irish; 30/01/2021 at 3:29 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    The problem with McGoldrick is he doesnt fit in for Kenny's formation, he needs freedom to play his thing,
    McGoldrick is the one player who is ideal for Kenny's formation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    In what position?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    In what position?

Yeah, where? I see him as the attacking midfielder only for Kenny, Kenny's tactic requires a real number 9, McGoldrick is a drifter, good player, flair player, too slow for the attacking sides,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts

Yeah, where? I see him as the attacking midfielder only for Kenny, Kenny's tactic requires a real number 9, McGoldrick is a drifter, good player, flair player, too slow for the attacking sides,
    Where in the three are you putting him amigo ?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Where in the three are you putting him amigo ?
    as the attacking midfielder in Kenny's 4-3-3 the only place he could feature, he doesnt fit in Kenny's tactics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I actually agree with Biesla for once

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    as the attacking midfielder in Kenny's 4-3-3 the only place he could feature, he doesnt fit in Kenny's tactics
    In the middle is it ? Of the three. Or if not which side ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    In the middle is it ? Of the three. Or if not which side ?
    I would think he would fit into the #10 position more so than striker. As I said higher up I dont think he has the discipline to play the lone striker role

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Is McGoldrick what happens when a player doesn't really feel Irish? Was good for his career to play international football when he was a Championship player but now that he's in Premiership it doesn't matter as much?

I'm not a fan of him in general and I don't really care that he's retired. In the short term he would probably be 1st choice but he's a journeyman footballer whos had a nice end to his career. He has talent so I would question his attitude that it took him so long to make it as a Premiership footballer.

His goal record for us isn't exactly going to be hard to replace. Connolly, Idah, Parrott or even Scully could hopefully bypass his record in a couple of years
    Probably unfair. I am sure we have had some green blooded Irishmen who also retired early (scratches his head to think of any). I doubt if it's anything to do with him being an Anglo. Perhaps one last chance to earn big money in the PL which may well have eluded him throughout his career. I don't know but it's a leap to saw it's because he is one of the Anglo players I think.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Probably unfair. I am sure we have had some green blooded Irishmen who also retired early (scratches his head to think of any). I doubt if it's anything to do with him being an Anglo. Perhaps one last chance to earn big money in the PL which may well have eluded him throughout his career. I don't know but it's a leap to saw it's because he is one of the Anglo players I think.
    Wasn’t stephen Carr really early?

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast