Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: David McGoldrick F Notts County b.1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    We know he was fit enough to play 20 minutes at the end of the game. We know enough about football that if he wasn't cleared by the physio he wouldn't have been in the squad.
    We know this was more than two years ago now and bringing it up now isn't currently relevant to either the player or the international side. At best, all it serves to do is expose whatever your opinion is of the current managerial setup
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Expose? aha, finally we know

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Maybe this 20 mins against Finland conversation has been exhausted. Let's move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    First Irish player to score three hat tricks in one season in British football since Anthony Stokes in 2006/07
    https://twitter.com/irish_abroad/sta...97168310501377
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Do youse think McGoldrick would still do a job for us? He’s in ridiculously good form this last couple of seasons. It would be great to still have him around the squad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    I've kind of moved on from him given he's down in League 1 now, but I do wonder what might have been if he had gotten his act together earlier in his career and also sorted out his Irish eligibility earlier. He could have been a serious asset to us throughout the 2010s.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Do youse think McGoldrick would still do a job for us? He’s in ridiculously good form this last couple of seasons. It would be great to still have him around the squad.
    Kenny was asked that this week on OTB and said there's no chance.

I've zero interest in him at this point. He could have helped us in last couple years and wouldn't. He's playing in L1, not like he was extending his Champions League career or something by quiting international football

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Yeah, I’m not starting a campaign or anything. Was more just wondering if he’d still add value to us even just to be around the squad. But as you point out he probably just doesn’t really give a toss about us.

Agree with Eirambler above too. He wasted a lot of time getting his paperwork sorted for us and I think would have been useful for us then.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    If you watch Kennys OTB interview, I think he left something unsaid about Didsys exit, just an opinion, but an interesting moment in the conversation.
    Did he depart the scene around the time of that storm in a thimble about the Irish history video lesson ? Or have I got that wrong
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    McGoldrick has four kids and they're Nottingham based, it's why he turned down Middleborough to sign with Derby. Wouldn't blame him for stepping back from international football to spend more time with his family and pretty sure read somewhere that he separated from his partner before he retired from Ireland which played a role.

Pity it turned out the way it did because he'd still do a job for us but think he was injured for most of last season anyway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    If you watch Kennys OTB interview, I think he left something unsaid about Didsys exit, just an opinion, but an interesting moment in the conversation.
    Did he depart the scene around the time of that storm in a thimble about the Irish history video lesson ? Or have I got that wrong
    He retired after the play off game which was the month before.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    No, I think you’re right there Crafty on the timing of the English game and his retirement. Definitely recall it being around the same time. And, yeah, there was always an element of surprise or weirdness in how and when he retired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    He retired after the play of game which was the month before.
    Fair enough - that makes sense too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Fair enough - that makes sense too.
    FAI put the statement out he retired on Nov 4th actually which was the week before the November internationals. Assume he'd have spoken with Kenny in the month before the announcement to talk about it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Kenny was asked that this week on OTB and said there's no chance.

I've zero interest in him at this point. He could have helped us in last couple years and wouldn't. He's playing in L1, not like he was extending his Champions League career or something by quiting international football
    When ya think about it, he wasn't that keen in the first place considering how long it took him to get his paper work sorted out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    When ya think about it, he wasn't that keen in the first place considering how long it took him to get his paper work sorted out.
    Or the fact he was adopted as a kid and didn't know he qualifed might have played a role.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    I haven't been watching him but it sounds like he is bang in form alright and some of the highlights are quality. The turn and assist last weak was lovely.

I've said elsewhere I wish Kenny had done more to keep him in the picture but I obviously don't know how possible it was. He was one of Mick's best players and would have been great to pair with whichever two of our sporadically available up and comers were available. He can link and create and we don't have many who can do both. Worked his socks off for us as well. If he's close to his previous levels he'd be great to have. Get Obafemi and Ferguson playing off him and around him and we'd be in decent shape.

But that ship seems to have long since sailed. Now I'd be building the front 3 around Ferguson.

Bazunu, Collins, Cullen, Ferguson. That's a decent spine to work with that should be around a long while and I'd prefer if we just focused on that now. Hopefully Obafemi gets himself properly going as well. I see he got on for 28 mins today. A report says he made an impact from the left but it ended scoreless.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Or the fact he was adopted as a kid and didn't know he qualifed might have played a role.
    He didn't hang around for very long to make up for lost time though.

He wasn't that interested in playing for Ireland as was proven. That's fine , if he doesn't want to play then that's fine ~ Let some one who does want to play for Ireland play.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He didn't hang around for very long to make up for lost time though.

He wasn't that interested in playing for Ireland as was proven. That's fine , if he doesn't want to play then that's fine ~ Let some one who does want to play for Ireland play.
    Saw a bit of thankless hard work ahead with whatever reward (if any) came after it all going to the youngsters coming through behind him & high tailed it back to England Seanie
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Saw a bit of thankless hard work ahead with whatever reward (if any) came after it all going to the youngsters coming through behind him & high tailed it back to England Seanie
    In this day and age it's almost surprising that more players don't call it a day from international football sooner especially if you are playing for smaller countries, football wise ( like the Republic of Ireland )

I expect players get a lot of grief about not getting injured ( pulling hamstrings and the like ) and not putting in too much effort from clubs that may well be paying them a lot of money.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast