Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: That Belfast incident 1993

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That Belfast incident 1993

Would someone please tell me what happend in Belfast that night apart from Alan McLoughlin's wonder goal. Im only 19 so have no real memory of what went on at the match that was so controversial

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    you're living in the past

look to the future

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Believe me i am im just curious to what happend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Some sectarian singing and chanting from the home support. Totally unwarranted and not appropriate and thankfully Windsor Park is a changed place these days. I was back last September for my first International there since our game in November 1994.

Billy Bingham was seen to be exhorting the crowd to sing louder while they were singing The Sash.

Real delight at the prospect of us not qualifying which shocked a lot of the "ole ole" brigade that expected Northern Ireland to lie down and roll over.
    I mean if we were playing England in a meangingless match for us and we had the chance of stopping them qualifying there is no way we'd celebrate a lead goal like we'd won the world cup.

Blown way out of proportion IMO. Couldn't believe the reaction when I got back the following day. Austin Deasy raised the matter in the Dail.

Only a handful of fans there that night from the Republic due to heightened sectarian tensions due to atrocities at Greysteel and Shankhill. A year later we had about 1,000 there.

I did get a rather sore and nasty elbow into the solar plexus as I rose about 5 feet into the air to celebrate THAT goal. I still haven't forgiven a certain Cork City fan for it.

It was hardly a family atmosphere but I was far more intimidated at Southend a few years earlier in a vital end of season game to decide 12th place in the
    3rd division when I rose sleepily to celebrate a late and undeserved Reading equaliser.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What a night - my greatest footballing memory

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up U'll Never Beat The REAL Irish!

When they struck 1st I thought we were f**** beyond repair, so the split second later I sunk my nut into a cushion on the sofa in dis-belief for a very long time after.

Think I knocked over the sofa when the Republic got that equalizer to save our 2nd venture to another WC. Memories of a then 13yr old...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I remember Quinn's goal well. It was actually a lovely volley. I was devastated. I just sat back in my Grandad's house in Raheny in disbelief. When he subbed on Mcloughlin I thought we were done. What a sweet goal though. Almost lost my front tooth as my Uncle jumped on top of me!
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Went with a mate, we blagged tickets through an aquaintance at work. It was bad enough after coming from behind and equalising to have to sit on our hands instead of giving it large but the worst part was when they broadcast the last 7 or 8 minutes of the Spain v Denmark game which was running late over the Windsor Park PA.

If either side won we were out. The locals were baying for either side to score and the tension waiting for the final whistle and hoping for neither side to score was worse than watching the NI v ROI game itself. When the final whistle went in Spain and we knew we were going to the US, I turned to my mate and went 'Yessss, USA here we come' at which point two locals soon cottoned on we were 'fenian bas***ds'. We had to run like f**k down towards the Guinness complex next to WP. A hairy night but worth it all!
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Enjoyed reading that, fair play to yiz

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    If either side won we were out.
    And I think Canizares made an amazing save for Spain in that period too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    And I think Canizares made an amazing save for Spain in that period too.
    Was Canizares playing that night? I thought it was Zubizaretta that was in goals?
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    Was Canizares playing that night? I thought it was Zubizaretta that was in goals?
    Zubi was red-carded early in the first half and Canizares called from the bench, if memory serves. Hierro's goal should have been disallowed too, a flagrant push on Schmeichel.

I think Canizare's fabled save was later revealed to have been redundant, as Laudrup was penalised for offside before attempting his overhead kick.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I forgot about Zubi being sent off. Knew Spain played most of the game with ten men but wasn't sure who it was that was sent off.
    As for Spain's dubious goal, we were well entitled to that piece of luck. One year earlier, John Aldridge had a perfectly good ruled offside against the Spanish.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    Went with a mate, we blagged tickets through an aquaintance at work. It was bad enough after coming from behind and equalising to have to sit on our hands instead of giving it large but the worst part was when they broadcast the last 7 or 8 minutes of the Spain v Denmark game which was running late over the Windsor Park PA.

If either side won we were out. The locals were baying for either side to score and the tension waiting for the final whistle and hoping for neither side to score was worse than watching the NI v ROI game itself. When the final whistle went in Spain and we knew we were going to the US, I turned to my mate and went 'Yessss, USA here we come' at which point two locals soon cottoned on we were 'fenian bas***ds'. We had to run like f**k down towards the Guinness complex next to WP. A hairy night but worth it all!
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't broadcast over the PA. Rights issues etc and I certainly don't recall that. They may have announced the result ove rthe PA. It was only 3 or 4 minutes in Seville but certainly would have felt like longer.

Only a Danish goal would have put us out.

Most Danes still believe NI carved it up with us which is almost as ridiculous as some of our crowd who thought beforehand that they would.

I had a radio and earphones. I had been "outed" after the GOAL and ended up staying behind with about 10-15 NI fans waiting in front of me. When the whistle in Seville I just said "Yesss we're through". "Jammy *******s" was the response and they walked away in disgust. The guy sitting directly in front of me had come out with some of the most vile sectarian abuse turned around and almost sheepishly asked "what's the score in Seville?" when he realsied there was an RoI fan behind him. I likened it at the time to a dig chasing a car and not knowing what to do if he caught one. I did have one of those "Oh S*&T" moments after the goal as I was the only one it seemed on the bottom deck of the north stand to be celebrating and my radio and earphones went flying. Funniest thing was my mates who waited about twenty yards away by an exit from the Stand discussing that if they had to help kill the Fenian b%^&*()d who was going to grab his car keys.

I should point out also that it was actually very relaxed before the game. We were in our seats well before 7pm for an 8pm kickoff and I had the San Marino v England game on the radio and there was a lot of laughing when the news cam ethough of their goal after 8 seconds. I had an obvious southern accent and there were no problems at all. It was mainly families etc in early though. The atmosphere changed quickly 5-10 minutes before kickoff when a crowd came into our section from the pub and the chanting started etc. We shut up immediately and it was intimidating then.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    I should point out also that it was actually very relaxed before the game.
    I was a nervous wreck all day, as every was I reckon, but once San Marino scored all the nerves went. It actually took England ages to equalise too. There couldn't have been a better way to inject some humour into the evening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Allthough i was not at the game i was in the local with some friends,my only memory of mc loughlin's goal and the match as happens is as follows...

Mc loughlin hits a screamer of a shot .. GOAL! In my over zealous celebration with my best friend we managed to knock a whole table of drink over,mostly on top of his mother!

Was a great night though from what i remember....