Thumbs up

liverpool were dire anyway,finnan from what i saw was steady enough
    j'accuse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    All the years of foreign coaches at the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool I haven't seen one Irish player come through the ranks and establish himself in the first team.
    Unfortunately Potter and Elliot and co. are our best prospects for the future but they're not good enough to break into the likes of Arsenal. It takes a player with something like Gael Clichy, Francesc Fabregas or Jeremie Aliadiere to make that breakthrough. Even David Bentley has been put out on loan.
    There's still hope for Graham Stack, Patrick Cregg and Stephen O'Donnell at Arsenal though.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Didn't Finnan play his first game for Ireland right side of midfield (3-0 home win over Finland about 4 years ago)? He had a great game that night and scored a decent goal.

I saw him play right midfield for Fulham vs Arsenal the season before last. He had Ashley Cole in his pocket, was up and down the touchline all afternoon and put in some great crosses. I remember he missed a sitter early on with his head too but at lesat it shows he can get into the box.

I think Finnan is a very credible candidate for the right midfield spot, though my preference is for Reid (Andy) and Duff on the wings, interchanging throughout the game.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowsy
    Have to agree with that. Cannot see Finnan playing right midfield being anything more than a temporary measure. Doesn't have enough creativity.
    Well boss all of Liverpool's attacks seemed to come from the right hand side yesterday. Kewell on the left would be percieved as being a much more creative player but Finnan produced alot more than him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    All the years of foreign coaches at the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool I haven't seen one Irish player come through the ranks and establish himself in the first team.
    Haven't seen too many English players break through at these teams either. Have to be a player of tremendous talent or French to do that. Young lad Fabregas at Arsenal at 17 looks exceptional despite looking like he has a dead animal on his head.

I think Potter and Partridge are good enough to do it at Liverpool this year. Saw Arsenal in League Cup last year and they have so many fantastic young players i'm not surprised Stephen Bradley was released. Will there ever be a youth team player come through again at Chelsea?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien
    Well boss all of Liverpool's attacks seemed to come from the right hand side yesterday. Kewell on the left would be percieved as being a much more creative player but Finnan produced alot more than him.
    Not entirely dismissing it but don't get carried away. He had a good game against a dreadful side. As someone rightly said his set pieces were excellent but he's hardly going to cause left fulls nightmares.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    he played ok in the 2nd half which is all I saw. A good few Liverpool fans in work here reckon Finnan will only be a squad player this year. I'm not sure what they are basing this on, seeing as benietez (sp) is only new on the scene.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From Teamtalk website

Spurs are the latest club to be linked with Liverpool's out of favour right-back Steve Finnan.

Just twelve months into his Anfield career, the Irish international has been usurped in the reds starting line up by new Spanish signing Josemi, and a proposed £2m move to Blackburn has yet to be finalised.

Finnan has also been linked with a move to former club Fulham, but with Spurs now looking to replace Finnan's Republic of Ireland team mate, Stephen Carr, who has just left for Newcastle, a move to White Hart Lane is likely to hold greater appeal for the 28-year-old from Limerick.

Santini had been hoping to hold onto Carr, but Newcastle's dogged persistence of the full-back has finally paid off and leaves Spurs with 20-year-old Stephen Kelly as their only recognised right-back - although Mauricio Taricco is likely to start the season in that position.

Republic of Ireland Under-21 captain Kelly impressed when filling in for Carr last season, but Santini wants to bring in a more experienced replacement for Carr before the transfer window closes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I'm a Liverpool fan and I thought Finnan was average last night. A RM is a must buy for Liverpool if they are to challenge this season.

It looks like Xabi Alonso is on his way to Liverpool, so if anything you will see Gerrard playing a more attacking role out on the right. Furthermore, if the Owen deal to Real Madrid goes through, Benitez will spend the money on a RM, namely Juanfran in a possible swap deal with Real, Luis Garcia of Barcelona, or Shaun Wright Philips of Man City. Finnan certainly won't be playing there regularly, unless a definsive approach is needed. He'll more than likely be spending the season as backup to Josemi, and if Jon Otsemobor can up his game a bit and impress Benitez, Finnan will probably be sold to raise cash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien
    Kewell's just back from an injury. I doubt he was fully fit.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Finnan did well last night and he did put in a good few decent crosses into the box from play and set pieces.I think he will have to play RM for l'pool because the new manager will play josemi at RB all season just because he signed him.Fiinan needs to work on getting past players all right though because he didn't manage it last night.If he got a regular place there for pool then he should have no problem playing there for Ireland though,imo.

Good to see Potter come on also.I was shocked to even see him on the bench.I'd say Partridge wishs that Houllier was sacked years ago.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Finnan got the assist against Holland, a fairly convincing run up the right wing and a cross to pick out McAteer.

His runs forward galvanised Ireland in the second half against Cameroon, and it was his pin point long-ball that landed bounced off Niall Quinn's head so that Robbie Keane could score in the last minute against Germany.

Steve Finnan at right half? Worth a try, we could do worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3
    Steve Finnan at right half? Worth a try, we could do worse.
    We could do better!
    We've already tried him there.
    Miller looks like a better prospect for that position since he's naturally an attacking player.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Finnan & Carr

Watched both matches today.

Finnan played fairly well on the right side of midfield but seems to be a bit one paced.

Carr had an excellent game I think he'll prove to be a real bargain, he is as far better player than Finnan faster, stronger and has better stamina.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Carr had an excellent game
    and let the goal go through his legs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    He must have be bigger than I thought if he can fit a goal through is legs.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    My thoughts (watched games on Match of the Day):-

Both played above average, maybe 7/10. Finnan put in a good cross for Liverpool's goal, Carr looked decent a really gritty player always tries hard.

Other thoughts on our players this weekend:-

The Doc came on for Spurs (70th min) for the defender Norine Naybet, poor lads not even 30 and has hardly any hair left. Played average.

Delap came on for Soton (at H/T) didnt notice him, most of their players had real Stinkers tho.

Kevin Nolan (who's been touted for us) played for Bolton but was subbed (77th min), I only remember him missing a fairly decent chance. Holland picked up an ankle injury (12th min) and was taken off - no idea how serious. Kiely had a bit of a stinker but thats neither here nor there now.

Dunne played for Man City, seemed ok. Macken came on (77th min) didnt do much.

Morrison played a couple of mins for Birmingham, remember him having a decent effort which Hislóp saved well.

Other stuff I didnt see:-
    Barrett played full match for Cov. Soccernet report suggests he played a blinder.
    Andy Reid played full match for Forest. Described as "impressive".
    Alan Quinn (is he one of ours?) played about 30mins for Sheff Utd. Had an "impact" on the game.
    Elliot and Thornton came on very late for Sunderland. No major mentions.
    Rowlands SCORED with a "wonderful strike" for QPR.
    Lee played the full match for Cardiff on Friday, anyone watch it (think it was on Sky ?).

Barrett and Reid both seem to have played well, I hope they get a decent run out in the match v Bulgaria.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Yea and you would have blocked it

It was at point blank range and a dead cert for a half decent striker.
    The keeper (Given) who had more time to react actually got
    a hand to it but could not stop it and the ball, infact did not go though
    Carr's legs at all, although it does look like that from one (or two) angle(s), but I have watched it several times in slow-mo and it definately didn't.
    Even if it had gone through his legs I would not fault him.

He seemed to have a pretty good game to me as did Finnan from what
    I saw on the highlights of match of the day.

Given made an excellent save too, top draw.

So please stop the negativity rodger and be more jolly.

My thanks to cfdh_edmundo for his 'round up'.

Reid had a 'good un' according to most NFFC forum reports, although
    some mug rated him 5, but 7-9 was more typical. Barret impressed me
    when he played for Ireland (Brazil?).

The mere sight of the Doc being brought on lead to a goal, obviously
    fear of the 'ginger maradonna' unsettled the opposition, it is statistically
    proveable that Spurs get better results when he plays.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Christ I d'int know that was an offence.
    Obviously you know F*** all about football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Christ I d'int know that was an offence.
    Obviously you know F*** all about football
    letting in goals not an offence, go figure, obviously you dont know a FÚCK about football

Time will tell about Carr and his newcastle adventures!!

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast