Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Finnan

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Started work this morning to the news that he maybe out, i'm leaving to the news that he's joining the squad, Happy days, the first pint on a friday after a hard week will taste all the sweeter.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Just saw this on elevenaside.com. Looks like Finnan isn't 100% definite for Israel as we thought and hoped he might be.

Finnan fitness fight
    May 29, 2005

Steve Finnan remains a major injury doubt for Ireland as the count down begins to Saturday’s vital clash with Israel.

The Liverpool fullback limped off during the Champions League final and Brian Kerr will not know for certain of the Limerick mans availability until tomorrow. Finnan was carrying a thigh injury going into the final but it is thought he should recover in time for the game.

With a win vital Roy Keane and Stephen Carr (suspension) alongside Gary Breen and Richard Dunne (injury) are already ruled out. However in brighter news for the Irish winger Damien Duff is back to full fitness. Kerr said “Duffer feels his hamstring trouble has cleared up and that in some respects his enforced lay off will have a beneficial spin off after what for him has been a hectic season.”
    -----------
    Here comes the anxiety again!!! SO worried about our next two games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Maybury forced to withdraw

The Republic of Ireland Squad reassembled in Dublin today ahead of the World Cup Qualifiers versus Israel and Faroe Islands.

Manager Brian Kerr has announced that defender Alan Maybury has had to withdraw from the Squad because of a pelvic injury.

“Alan’s injury disimproved yesterday and following discussions between the player, his club and our medical team it was accepted that Alan would not be fit for the two upcoming games”, the Manager said this evening.

Meanwhile Steve Finnan reported for duty with the rest of the Squad today.

“Steve will receive further treatment from our medical staff in relation to the injury he picked up in the Champions League Final last week and a decision on his fitness for the game against Israel will be made later in the week”, Brian Kerr said.

Alan Lee (Cardiff City) has been added to the Squad for the Israel game.
    In Trap we trust

barglee
    Disimprove
    v. t. 1. To make worse; - the opposite of improve.
    v. i. 1. To grow worse; to deteriorate.

I assume Mayburys injury has deteriorated or grown worse..... and thats why he cant play

Whats the problem???
    am i missing something??

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FINs OUT !!

gone back to England for treatment , might make the Faroes but wont make Israel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Republic of Ireland full back Steve Finnan is a major doubt for Saturday’s World Cup qualifier against Israel at Lansdowne Road.

The 29-year-old has returned to Liverpool with a thigh strain though manager Brian Kerr is not ruled the European Cup winner out of contention just yet.

“I doubt if he will be back for Saturday but he has some chance. I felt it was better that he went back — he hasn’t been at Liverpool since the day after the Champions League final.

“I’ll just wait for the reports. He’s still a fair bit to do, running, kicking and jumping but it’s now Wednesday and the game is on Saturday so there is time.”

With Alan Maybury, Richard Dunne and Gary Breen all out, and Stephen Carr suspended, it means that Ireland could go into the game without five defenders but Kerr is confident that there is enough back up in the squad.

“It’s disrupting in general to lose so many from the same area of the pitch. We still have eight in the squad who can play in defensive positions,” said Kerr.

“All our defenders have played at right back, mostly in the Premiership. John O’Shea, Andy O’Brien, Kenny Cunningham, Gary Doherty, Steven Reid, Ian Harte and Matt Holland has played right back.”

Robbie Keane has also played at right back in the past while Steven Reid started at right back in Sunday’s 1-0 victory over Celtic and Kerr admitted the Blackburn Rovers’ man impressed him.

“Steven played for Millwall in the full back position for a while. He did a very good job on Sunday and looked very comfortable there.”
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Robbie Keane has also played at right back in the past

Finnan will be a huge loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just read that now, when did Robbie Keane play at right back and who was that for.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Today FM sport has just reported that Finnan has returned to Liverpool for treatment. He hasnt been officially ruled out yet but it doesnt look good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    Today FM sport has just reported that Finnan has returned to Liverpool for treatment. He hasnt been officially ruled out yet but it doesnt look good.
    i think that has been said already in the thread
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Just read that now, when did Robbie Keane play at right back and who was that for.
    Was gonna say the exact same thing?????
    Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He couldn't have played right back at a professional level. However, I do recall reading that he started out as a defender as a youngster playing with his older brother. He was by far the youngest and they stuck him in defence. When he was finally moved up front and scored, he was so happy to be unshackled that he did his big celebration, and, as they say, the rest is history.

I'm sure Kerr knows more about the beautiful game than anyone on this board, but I'm sure he was just having a laugh with that statement. I doubt that playing in defence as an 8 year old is ample preparation for Isreal. Although, couldn't you just see him constantly pointing to the space in front of him, and demanding the ball be passed there by Cunningham?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCanada
    I'm sure Kerr knows more about the beautiful game than anyone on this board, but I'm sure he was just having a laugh with that statement. I doubt that playing in defence as an 8 year old is ample preparation for Isreal. Although, couldn't you just see him constantly pointing to the space in front of him, and demanding the ball be passed there by Cunningham?
    Kerr didn't make the comment.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    What about Stephen Kelly at right back?

After all if he is good enought for Spurs and good enough to take
    Carrs place then surely he deserves a chance.

I know he is ineperienced but he did get two goals for Spurs, not
    too bad for a right-back and we will be going to win the game.

Can he play though? Has the squad been named yet?

Some younger legs in defence might be a good idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Hmm seems like Kelly is not in the squad, is it too late to make a change now?

Kerr:-
    “All our defenders have played at right back, mostly in the Premiership. John O’Shea, Andy O’Brien, Kenny Cunningham, Gary Doherty, Steven Reid, Ian Harte and Matt Holland has played right back.”

I would prefer Kelly to most(all?) of the above at right back.
    With half those players he filling one gap and creating another!!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's injured...he pulled out of the u-21 squad last week.

Some of these threads just go round in circles half the time, it's like groundhog day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP
    He's injured...he pulled out of the u-21 squad last week.

Some of these threads just go round in circles half the time, it's like groundhog day.
    OK thamks for that, my computer recording the status of every Irish player has
    broke down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This answers my question about Robbie Keane at right back.

Time is running out for Finnan

Rep of Ireland v Israel, Lansdowne Road, Saturday, kick-off 7.30: Steve Finnan's chances of featuring in Saturday's game against Israel hovered only fractionally above the zero mark last night after the 29-year-old returned to Liverpool for further treatment on the thigh strain that has been troubling him since before the Champions League final. Emmet Malone, Soccer correspondent reports.

Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr stopped short of ruling the right back out of the crucial Group Four game but did admit he doesn't think the defender will be fit it time. "I suppose he still has a chance," was as close to upbeat as the manager was about the situation before going on to say "it was important that they get the chance back at Liverpool to have a look at him and see what they think.

"He has a lot to do between now and Saturday, though," he added ominously, "he's got to start running, jumping and kicking. We'll have a better idea about how he is tomorrow."

In anticipation of losing the Limerickman, Kerr switched John O'Shea out of the left-back position for yesterday's practice games and also continued to use Steven Reid at right back. He could still play either of them there and each option has its advantages.

O'Shea did well in the position earlier this season for Manchester United when Gary Neville was sidelined, but if he does switch sides then it would mean Ian Harte's return at left back. The former Leeds United player is no stranger to the position, and is better suited to the sort of attacking game that would be expected this weekend, but his fitness could be a concern given that he has not been playing for Levante in recent weeks.

Reid, on the other hand, has been playing, and playing well, for Blackburn through the latter part of the season, but in central midfield. While selecting him would mean one less change to what has been a fairly settled defence, the 24-year-old has not played on the right of a back four since his time at Millwall.

Kerr, in any case, played down the issue, insisting that players with any defensive experience still in the squad have played right back at some stage. "They've all played there at some stage for their clubs," he said, "John O'Shea, Kenny Cunningham, Steven Reid, Gary Doherty, Andy O'Brien, Ian Harte, even Matt Holland had a bit of time there."

At this point Robbie Keane, who was sitting next to the Ireland manager turned and informed the manager that he, too, had had an outing or two at right back during his Crumlin United days. It wasn't the sort of fact that usually escapes Kerr about a player of Keane's generation, but he looked fairly thrilled by the information anyway.

Ireland's training was generally uneventful otherwise with a knee injury suffered by Gary Doherty the only incident of real significance during the session.

Doherty was forced to limp out of the proceedings, but subsequently expressed confidence he would be fit enough to feature in the game if required, with the Norwich player observing that the initial treatment he had received for a knee injury picked up in training yesterday had had an immediately beneficial effect.

"I just sort of jarred the knee," he said, "but I think I'm going to be fine. I've had a bit of treatment for it already and it's gone well, it's feeling much better again."

With Kerr a little short of defenders and potentially facing the need to change things up front over the course of the game, Doherty could well come into things over the course of the second half despite having played little competitive football since losing his place at Norwich.

"That was a blow, but there's a responsibility on you when it happens to keep yourself right for games like this and I feel good now," he said. "I suppose now it's a question of seeing what way the game pans out, but if I'm called upon I'll be ready.

"It (coming on late in a striking role) was something that worked out well for me before and if that's what's required of me in this game, then I'll certainly be happy to give it my best."

The Israelis, meanwhile, continued their preparations at the Five Lakes resort near Colchester yesterday where a few of the players could have been forgiven for growing distracted by the mounting rumours of impending moves to Premiership clubs.

For Yossi Benayoun such talk is nothing new, the 24-year-old midfielder has repeatedly been linked with a string of English sides over the past couple of seasons, but it appears that Newcastle are now seriously keen on the Racing Santander player and Graeme Souness is expected to be at Lansdowne Road on Saturday to watch him in action.

Also due to attend the game is Portsmouth boss Alain Perrin who will be looking out for the visiting side's striker, Yaniv Katan, himself a target for Newcastle a couple of months back.

Dudu Awat, the goalkeeper who played against Ireland in Tel Aviv, picked up an elbow injury in training yesterday, but insisted afterwards he would be recover in time to play if selected ahead of fit-again rival Nir Davidovitch. "It hurts but I'm sure the treatment will make me all right," he said. "There's no way I'm going to miss a match like this."
    In Trap we trust

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Great headline on aertel last night "Finnan returns home for treatment" Only in Ireland would an international leave the country he is representing to go home

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Does it not happen for England when Beckham goes back to Madrid?
    Does it not happen for France when Henry goes back to London?
    Does it not happen for Portugal when Figo goes back to Madrid?

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast