Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keane on the Kerr, Staunton, Robbie and John O Shea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Keane on the Kerr, Staunton, Robbie and John O Shea

From the Indo today.

Timing of Old Trafford exit right as age, injuries and homesickness catch up on Roy

THE timing of Roy Keane's controversial departure from Old Trafford last year was absolutely correct according to the player himself.

The 34-year-old admitted that he has no regrets about leaving Manchester United after 12 highly successful years and added that he is looking forward to returning to Old Trafford with Celtic for his testimonial in May.

"I have met Alex Ferguson since I left United. There is no problem there. If anything he has been encouraging me to have the testimonial match," said Keane.

"We will see what happens. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable about going back because when I left United, it was the right time to do so.

"People were looking for a different angle on me and the manager but the fact is that the relationship had come to an end.

"It was like being with a girl and knowing that it was time to move on."

The weeks that Keane spent at home following his United exit finally softened the hardest man in football.

He wiled away the days playing with his five kids and has suffered the pangs of homesickness since finding himself living out a suitcase in a Glasgow hotel since his move to Celtic last December.

Family

Despite having signed an 18-month contract with Celtic, he is now giving every indication that he is ready to walk away from Parkhead this summer to spend more time with his family.

"When you are at home for four or five weeks, watching morning television, you really appreciate your family," admitted Keane.

"I'm away from them a lot now, living in a hotel, seeing them only three or four days a week. My two youngest kids are four and one and they miss me.

"So when I make my mind up in the summer, I will do what I think is right for my family."

In addition to missing his family, Keane has started to realise that age and injuries are beginning to catch up on him. He revealed that he had a good look himself after leaving United and then admitted to receiving a wake-up call at Easter Road last Sunday.

"The enjoyment is definitely less when you are not physically right. Like on Sunday against Hibs, I was playing against young, fresh players who were running everywhere. I didn't think I played well.

"As you get older you get more and more average games. And that's what gets you in the end.

"You have to do what you think is right and not get sucked into playing in another Champions League or stuff like that. You have got to be fair. I've learned a lot more in the last few months than I have learned in my entire career in terms of what way I want to go and what is right for me."

And he suggested that the timing of his departure from Old Trafford, while hugely controversial, was probably right.

Physical

"There are a lot of physical demands and I think a lot of managers are looking at the player as an athlete first before the talent.

"The Premiership is a powerful league and the players are getting faster and more powerful all the time."

Keane admitted that he chose Celtic because he felt it would be less pressurised and he could enjoy it more but he has found that not to be the case.

"I have spent so much time trying to focus and trying to win the matches that the whole emotion of playing for Celtic has passed me by unfortunately.

"That part of my career, I wished I had have enjoyed a bit more. But then again I might not have been the player I was. I had to be focussed. When I came to Celtic I really wanted to enjoy it and lighten up a bit. I still want to win but I just wanted to be less intense in terms of preparation and recovery, analysing the game."

Keane will hope to pick up his first piece of silverware for Celtic on Sunday when the Hoops meet Dunfermline in the CIS Cup Final, a game that will evoke memories of the late Jimmy Johnstone who died this week.

"Jimmy Johnstone was a real footballer. I met him recently and it was a pleasure. He was an inspiration to so many and his video, Lord of the Wing, was the greatest football video I have ever seen.

"He was 5'6" and proved that no matter what size you were that if you had a big heart and were brave then you had got a chance."

Keane smiled at the suggestion that he might go into the media after he hangs up his boots and indicated he wanted a proper job.

"If I was going to stay in football it would be to manage. I don't want to do anything half-hearted."

Keane also believes his former international colleague Steve Staunton will prosper as Ireland manager, although he hopes he will be given more time than his predecessor.

"I didn't see much of the Swedish game but I heard they played well and I was delighted for everyone.

"However winning a friendly is one thing. The bigger thing is to win the competitive games. They count for much more. Hopefully the FAI will give Stan time to prove himself." Huge blow

Despite his advancing years, Keane's absence from Ireland's final two World Cup qualifiers was a huge blow to Brian Kerr and the team's failure to reach this summer's finals in Germany ultimately cost Kerr his job.

"Brian was unlucky that way. When we didn't qualify it was always going to be difficult for him.

"In football you are judged on results and it is a cold business. But you could say Brian was treated unfairly. Ultimately, though, the players have to take responsibility for what happened. "The Israeli games were lost opportunities. Even the home game against France could have been drawn. A lack of a winning mentality cost us."

Keane will go down in history as one of the great Irish captains and he believes that the new skipper Robbie Keane will revel in the role.

"Captaincy will be good for Robbie. The extra responsibility is important and it will bring out the best in him.

"Strikers by their nature have to be selfish and think about themselves. Now Robbie has to think about the group and there is no doubt that he will do a good job.

"I know he was criticised last autumn for going on one or two nights out before the French game but he is a responsible lad and this position will highlight that."

Replacement

And his replacement in the Irish and Manchester United engine room could be his former room-mate John O'Shea who is also a close friend.

"I have said before that I think John can play in the middle of the park. But he needs to get a little tougher in the big games. He is very talented and if he toughens up he can do very well."

Keane hopes to return to Old Trafford with Celtic in May for his testimonial where the proceeds will be distributed to charities in Manchester, Glasgow, Dublin and Cork and he also plans to write another book.

"Within a week or two of leaving United I had a couple of book offers and some silly money was offered to me. It was strange. If I did do another book, this one would be more reflective.

"My last one was a bit strong. It was a good book and I don't regret a thing because you have to do what you think is right at the time."
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Fair play to Keane i might disagree with him on a lot of things but he talked a lot of sense there.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keane
    Timing of Old Trafford exit right as age, injuries and homesickness catch up on Roy.
    I thought the homesickness referred to Ireland but if you read on, "home" is England.

The 34-year-old admitted that he has no regrets about leaving Manchester United .
    He never seems to admit to having any regrets. He was pushed from Man U, the biggest club in the world, and to say he has no regrets in such circumstance, hmmmmmmm.

"It was like being with a girl and knowing that it was time to move on." .
    His true relationship with Ferguson is revealed

Keane admitted that he chose Celtic because he felt it would be less pressurised and he could enjoy it more but he has found that not to be the case. When I came to Celtic I really wanted to enjoy it and lighten up a bit. I still want to win but I just wanted to be less intense in terms of preparation and recovery, analysing the game."
    That seems to run contrary to his Press Conference Statement when he joined Celtic. I quote: "I’ve not come up here on a PR trip or an ego trip or to unwind, far from it....."

"In football you are judged on results and it is a cold business. But you could say Brian was treated unfairly. Ultimately, though, the players have to take responsibility for what happened. "The Israeli games were lost opportunities. Even the home game against France could have been drawn. A lack of a winning mentality cost us."
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he play in the first game against Israel. So as one of the players is he daring to suggest he lacked a winning mentality or is he just blaming the other players or even the coach, who he said the FAI were "harsh" to let go ?

Keane will go down in history as one of the great Irish captains and he believes that the new skipper Robbie Keane will revel in the role. .
    Well, that's debatable. One of the great Irish players, yes. Captain I am not sure about.

"I have said before that I think John can play in the middle of the park. But he needs to get a little tougher in the big games. He is very talented and if he toughens up he can do very well." .
    I agree

Keane hopes to return to Old Trafford with Celtic in May for his testimonial where the proceeds will be distributed to charities in Manchester, Glasgow, Dublin and Cork and he also plans to write another book. "Within a week or two of leaving United I had a couple of book offers and some silly money was offered to me. It was strange. If I did do another book, this one would be more reflective. My last one was a bit strong. It was a good book and I don't regret a thing because you have to do what you think is right at the time."
    Interesting comments on the book. No regrets (of course) but suggesting he should be a bit more reflective and the last one was a bit strong. Eamon's words were a bit strong were they ? He might also check the index where every reference to Sheffield Wednesday relates to Sheffield United
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    why dont you go to glasgow and tell him all this yourself????
    jebus wept its like your obsessed..
    let it go!!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Oh, so we're not allowed comment and take everything HE says as Gospel The poster above said he thought what Keane had said made a lot of sense. I disagreed with that.

This is a discussion forum where we are allowed put forward our own views. If you disagree with anything I said, rather than my right to express them, please feel free to comment.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    I thought the homesickness referred to Ireland but if you read on, "home" is England.
    so
    He never seems to admit to having any regrets. He was pushed from Man U, the biggest club in the world, and to say he has no regrets in such circumstance, hmmmmmmm.
    dont presume its something he would regret because you think he should regret it. The rest of the article explains why he wouldnt regret it. For a man who settles for nothing short of winning seeing the young stars of the premiership overtake him was probably too much.

I dont know tbh but neither do you
    His true relationship with Ferguson is revealed

That seems to run contrary to his Press Conference Statement when he joined Celtic. I quote: "I’ve not come up here on a PR trip or an ego trip or to unwind, far from it....."
    Shock!! when joining a club he tells the fans what they want to hear...
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he play in the first game against Israel. So as one of the players is he daring to suggest he lacked a winning mentality or is he just blaming the other players or even the coach, who he said the FAI were "harsh" to let go ?
    What he said was the team lacked a winning mentality 'which cost us'. To me it is clear he is putting as much blame on himself as anyone else. As he said the players have to take alot of the responsibility. He was one of them

Well, that's debatable. One of the great Irish players, yes. Captain I am not sure about.
    Fair enough

I agree
    We agree on something

Interesting comments on the book. No regrets (of course) but suggesting he should be a bit more reflective and the last one was a bit strong. Eamon's words were a bit strong were they ? He might also check the index where every reference to Sheffield Wednesday relates to Sheffield United
    No point regretting something you can do nothing about. Clear he sees the problem that was with the last book and wouldnt do the same again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ""In football you are judged on results and it is a cold business. But you could say Brian was treated unfairly. Ultimately, though, the players have to take responsibility for what happened. "The Israeli games were lost opportunities. Even the home game against France could have been drawn. A lack of a winning mentality cost us."

I think keanes on the money here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    btw if yois get a chance try and download his newstalk interview....just a few soundbites but some thinly disguised barbs at certain over rated defenders in england!

great stuff

and once again on the money!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Where could i get that wws?
    Can't find it on their site.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    itunes pod cast and search for soccer show

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Israel??

i was certain Keane played in Tel Aviv. Didn't he miss the home game?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keenanboy
    i was certain Keane played in Tel Aviv. Didn't he miss the home game?
    Keane did play in Tel Aviv and played poorly from what I recall. But he wasn't the only one. He missed the game in Lansdowne and returned for the Faroes game 4 days later.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Great post there RDBloomfield, full of intelligence and wit and well thought out arguments. I think Keane is pretty straight talking in that interview both about himself and about other players. I think he obviously holds Robbie Keane in high regard.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think calling people on this forum a ****** or insultilng players or fellow posters is futile and childish behaviour to be honest. i can understand it if it does in the heat of an argument on a pitch or something like that but actually typing in those words seems strange to me. i would chat about what is in the article etc rather than call people names or drag up old ground.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RDBloomfield
    He always was & remains a B*****, IMO.
    Apart from his charity work. Which is his only redeeming feature, IMO.

...and perhaps his leadership in driving Ireland to a world cup finals.

Quote Originally Posted by RDBloomfield
    Just don't think Keane can ever be taken seriously, IMO as he always has his own agenda.IMO.
    Who elses would he have ?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rumours in Nottingham is that Keane is being talked up for the Forest job?

Can't see it happening myself .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dublin Red
    Rumours in Nottingham is that Keane is being talked up for the Forest job?

Can't see it happening myself .
    yeh, i saw a pig flying over st.anns today so it must be true!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Forest could certaintly do with someone like Keane to give the club
    a kick up the backside!! It wouldn't be a bad idea, an underperforming
    club with potential (but no money!!). It has become a bit of a managers
    graveyard but it might be an oppertunity as the club can hardly sink
    any lower (probably )

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Great post there RDBloomfield, full of intelligence and wit and well thought out arguments. I think Keane is pretty straight talking in that interview both about himself and about other players. I think he obviously holds Robbie Keane in high regard.
    Robbie made it into the Actim index top 10 Premiership players this week
    (number 9) and 4th best striker, he seems to be playing well consistantly
    now, I hope it continues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour
    Forest could certaintly do with someone like Keane to give the club
    a kick up the backside!! It wouldn't be a bad idea, an underperforming
    club with potential (but no money!!). It has become a bit of a managers
    graveyard but it might be an oppertunity as the club can hardly sink
    any lower (probably )
    without wanting to go off the thread too much, where the bloody hell is the potential?!?!

Its a club thats rotting at the core, saddled with loans and debt, doesn't own its own ground, has a chairman who has already done too much for the club than it deserves and is running short of patience, goes through managers quicker than hearts, has falling attendances, according to megson theres players who cant be bothered to play, is in the 3rd tear of their domestic league, and there just sh*t! And im a forest fan!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast