Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

European Championships Celtic BID

Wales told to bid for Euro finals

Wales have never qualified for the European Championships
    Uefa president Lennart Johansson says Wales should enter a joint bid with Scotland and Ireland to host the European Championships.
    "I think it's a good idea," said Johansson. "They have the same culture, understand each other and travelling is easy between countries. So why not?"

Johansson also believes Cardiff's Millennium Stadium could soon host one of Uefa's major showpiece cup finals.

"I'm sure it will be considered to host a final," Johansson told BBC Sport.

Last year, the Football Association of Wales decided to ditch a bid to host a Uefa Champions League or Uefa Cup final because of problems meeting strict contractual obligations.

They concluded that the Millennium Stadium's city centre location means there is not have enough surrounding space to accommodate such things as the hospitality tented village.

"That was a big disappointment," FAW secretary general David Collins told BBC Wales Sport.

Uefa reveals Euro 2012 shortlist

"But very few stadia in Europe can generate that sort of facility, so maybe Uefa will relax their requirement in the future, particularly for the Uefa Cup final.

"If so, then we would certainly look into that again, especially after this year with the FA Cup, the Community Shield and Championship play-offs moving back to Wembley."

Scotland and Ireland failed in a joint bid to host the 2008 European Championships, which were eventually awarded to Austria and Switzerland.

Joint bids from two countries are becoming ever more popular and successful - there are two such bids in the shortlist for the 2012 European Championships.

A Nordic bid from four countries failed to win the right to host Euro 2008, but Johansson said Uefa would not object in principle to a bid from three nations.

"The Nordic countries tried with four, but that was too much. Next time they will have three," Johansson told BBC Wales Sport.

If we could bring four stadia up to 30,000 seats... we could then make a joint bid

FAW's David Collins

"We are not going to the same places all the time so there are good opportunities. That gives people hope, and also the opportunity to work together in partnership with other countries."

Wales' biggest hurdle to overcome to stage the 16-team tournament would be the shortage of suitable stadiums.

All bids must have eight stadiums with at least 30,000 seats. The Millennium Stadium is currently the only such venue in Wales.

That could change with the planned new stadium for Cardiff City, but Collins says the FAW would have to look into the possibility of developing Swansea's Liberty Stadium or Wrexham's Racecourse Ground.

Collins also revealed the FAW's preferred option would be to enter a joint bid with just Scotland to host the European Championships.

"We would seriously consider bidding," Collins said. "We seriously considered that with Scotland and the Republic of Ireland; unfortunately they decided to go on their own.

"But we believe it makes more sense to have the tournament within the island of the United Kingdom itself.

"So if we could bring four stadia up to 30,000 seats, together with Scotland we would certainly have eight stadia so we could then make a joint bid."

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/4802224.stm

Lads,
    this is starting to arouse interest once again, UEFA are practically begging us to put in a bid for these championships, and they have no problem with 3 countries putting in a bid,
    We would have

Millenium Stadium
    Croke Park
    Lansdowne Road
    Murrayfield
    Hampden
    Ibrox
    Parkhead
    Swansea Liberty Stadium.

There you have, we better not miss out this chance and allow Wales and Scotland to host it together or else we can never get these tournaments again!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think the major problem is that there's too few cities. There's never more than one stadium in a city used. In Euro 96 they used Hillsborough and Ellend Road rather than Highbury etc

Those 8 stadiums are great but there's 2 in Dublin, 3 in Glasgow etc.

We'd need to use places like Cork, Galway, Belfast, Aberdeen, Dundee.
    The glass isn't half full or half empty it's just too damn big!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'd say Easter Road and Hearts stadium or even Ninian Park would be more hassle-free in the minds of the FAW. Nonetheless, i wouldn't view it as a pipe dream seen as there is far less choice for countries to host the European Championships.
    It will probably happen eventually but Wales and Scotland might feel safer going it eh, "alone together".
    I thought the 4 country bid was ridiculous.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just noticed it on the BBC website today. Sorry Risteard if I'm repeating your posts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ls/4802224.stm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We probably wouldn't have Croke Park.

It'd be a good opertunity to build a stadium in Cork I think, probably going halves with the rugby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student
    We probably wouldn't have Croke Park.

It'd be a good opertunity to build a stadium in Cork I think, probably going halves with the rugby.
    couldnt agree more. this country lacks decent regional all-seater stadiums that can hold crowds of 25,000 - 35,000 people. most current regional stadiums are just blobs of concrete shaped into terraces with little or no style, comfort or imagination. the odd qualifier or friendly out of dublin in a decent stadium would be welcome by many i would suspect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Don't know anything at all about it and never been there but what about Thomond Park?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    One of the reasons the last Scot / Ire bid failed was 3 stadiums in one city, Glasgow. Uefa said no more than 2 in a city.

Once the GAA get used to the money Im sure they will be tempted, but anyway how about..

Murrayfield
    Aberdeen or 2nd Stadium in Edinburgh
    Ibrox
    Parkhead
    Lansdowne
    Thomond Pk (IRFU looking at increasing to 30K)
    Millenium Stadium
    Swansea

And if Croke Park was available for only one game it would be either the first or final game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Eight stadiums is the minimum. Portugal offered 10! And all of them were either built from scratch or seriously renovated. If there's two countries, each one should provide at least 4 each, and if there are three countries, we should definately be looking at having at least 10 stadiums in total.

Thomond will hold 22,000 (mostly standing) when its redevelopped, but there is potential to improve this.

I also think that its shocking that there's no 30,000 seat stadium in Cork. Cork is big enough to have such a facility for: big Cork City games, Munster rugby, concerts, even the GAA if they'd ever take their heads out of the sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Dreamin
    One of the reasons the last Scot / Ire bid failed was 3 stadiums in one city, Glasgow. Uefa said no more than 2 in a city.

Once the GAA get used to the money Im sure they will be tempted, but anyway how about..

Murrayfield
    Ibrox
    Parkhead
    Lansdowne
    Millenium Stadium
    Swansea

And if Croke Park was available for only one game it would be either the first or final game!
    Surely Celtic Park is a more obvious choice as it's bigger etc. or am I missing something

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor
    Surely Celtic Park is a more obvious choice as it's bigger etc. or am I missing something
    parkhead = celtic park

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Murrayfield
    Ibrox
    Parkhead
    Lansdowne
    Millenium Stadium
    Swansea

Hampden would be 100% definetly used. Its the SFA's stadium, so there'd be no chance in hell of it not being used. It would be like the English FA not using Wembley for a tournament. This means they would have to make a choice between Ibrox and Celtic Pk. as the city's 2nd stadium.

Personally I don't see the problem with using 3 stadiums in one city if thats were 3 of the top 8 stadiums are. They'd just have to make sure one of the 3 got no more than 2 games during the tournament

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crc
    I also think that its shocking that there's no 30,000 seat stadium in Cork. Cork is big enough to have such a facility for: big Cork City games, Munster rugby, concerts, even the GAA if they'd ever take their heads out of the sand.
    Well the GAA already have a 30k+ stadium in Cork and the concerts go there.
    Despite the efforts of Musgrave Park, Limerick is the home of Munster rugby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Risteard
    Well the GAA already have a 30k+ stadium in Cork and the concerts go there.
    Despite the efforts of Musgrave Park, Limerick is the home of Munster rugby.
    no offence to cork people but Parc Ui Chaoimh is a dump. It is open on three sides and facilities are poor. What have the GAA got against providing roofs over their stadiums?
    the stadiums for the euros in Portugal where modern, comfortable and colourful. exactly what Parc Ui Chaoimh isn’t!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I know most eL grounds are poor but almost no GAA grounds would pass Uefa Licencing. Parc Ui Chaoimh is spartan to say the least. I think the GAA skip on roofs cos mainly played in the summer - maybe they remember a time when Ireland had sun in the summer?

BTW The SFA/FAI do not deserve a European championship. What have the FAI ever done for football in europe compared with other countries that have hosted championships & invest in their leagues...?

BTW feck all chnace the GAA would allow Croke park to be used. I could see Scotland & Wales trying it themselves. In fact Scotland would be better off going it alone as they can almost enough stadia.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne
    no offence to cork people but Parc Ui Chaoimh is a dump. It is open on three sides and facilities are poor. What have the GAA got against providing roofs over their stadiums?
    the stadiums for the euros in Portugal where modern, comfortable and colourful. exactly what Parc Ui Chaoimh isn’t!
    You're dead right jbyrne.
    Dive of a place in general but suited to the big hurling match in the summer.
    Thurles would be easier to develop but what is Thomond like lads?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Risteard
    what is Thomond like lads?
    1 stand and uncovered terracing on the other three sides afaik. GAA-esque I suppose.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Murrayfield
    Ibrox
    Parkhead
    Lansdowne
    Millenium Stadium
    Swansea
    You think the SFA will put Celtic Park forward ahead of Hampden? Any bid involving Scotland will have Hampden at its centrepiece. Even though its capacity is not that big, it has excellent facilities and is the famous home of Scottish football. Celtic Park is not a 5 star stadium and does not have the facilities to host a European final, Ibrox however is a 5 star stadium.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thomond will have 25,000 with its new capacity, thats the best area to target if you want a bigger stadium down south before they build it. It'll be done soon too as the IRFU want to play the WC warm ups in Limerick before the 2007 WC.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    forget the stadiums

i wouldn't listen to Johansson - i couldn't see 3 automatic qualification places given out to host nations ... way over the top, would restrict general qualification too much

remember, this is a guy who wanted to market "sweaty, lovely looking girl playing on the ground, with the rainy weather"

as it currently stands, Wales & Scotland would probably have a better chance on their own

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast