Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eircom League Focus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Eircom League Focus

Mark O'Neill-Cummins' eircom review(From Aertel)

The waiting is finally over and eircom League soccer is back with us and what an interesting opening weekend it proved to be.

Champions Cork City could only manage a 1-0 win over Dublin City, and that from the penalty spot, while Shels were held to a draw out in Bray.

Both sides have had decent enough performances in the Setanta Sports Cup so far but failed to reproduce that form on Friday night, but it's early days.

One side with Setanta ambitions who will be happy with their league opener are Drogheda United.

Drogs thoroughly outplayed Bohs at Dalymount Park and left with three points courtesy of a 1-0 win.

It could have been more but for a decent performance from Stephen O'Brien in the Bohs goal.

Bohs were very poor against Drogs and won't relish a trip to the home of the First Division champions.

Big signing Vinny Arkins was played out of the game and failed to make an impact, while Stephen Ward had an unusually quiet night.

An interested observer at Dalymount was Sligo Rovers boss Sean Connor.

Bohs travel up to The Showgrounds next weekend and Connor will fancy his chances of taking all three points.

However, his and Sligo's cause will not have been helped by the postponement of their opener against Longford Town at Flancare Park, especially so close to kick-off.

This is sure to have inconvenienced both fans and players alike, but given the heavy rainfall, match officials would have had no other option but to postpone the game.

Over at Richmond Park, Pat's again had the bad luck that afflicted them all through 2005.

Last season's problems were long and varied: failing to hold a lead, missing easy chances, conceding late goals, etc, etc.

Against Waterford on Friday it was a missed penalty, or a saved penalty to be precise, Jimmy Fyffe expertly denying Trevor Molloy.

Pat's really need to start taking these opportunities or they will stay stuck in the doldrums.

Shamrock Rovers hosted Dundalk in the First Division clash of the fallen giants and came from behind to take the points.

Pat Scully was happy with the win, as he would be, but it's too early to suggest that Rovers will walk this league as some pundits have claimed.

Galway are in with a shout but will be seriously disappointed with a 0-0 draw at Monaghan.

Limerick also fancy their chances but their tie with Kildare was called off due to a waterlogged pitch at Hogan Park.

The same fate befell the Finn Harps v Athlone Town clash to bring the total of postponements to three.

But what would our league be without the odd bit of disruption, even on the opening weekend?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    While we don't expect to walk the First Division, we believe that this season will be of profound significance for Shamrock Rovers. After all, it's the first season where the fans are in full control.
    We're having fun running our club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    What a randomly written article. He somehow managed to not mention Derry beating UCD with Derry being on top of the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    More trash. I'd rather have no aertel page than such a poor attempt at journalism.
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    He did give us a good mention though, and we didn't even play.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Mark O'Neill-Cummins' eircom review(From Aertel)

The same fate befell the Finn Harps v Athlone Town clash to bring the total of postponements to three.

But what would our league be without the odd bit of disruption, even on the opening weekend?
    Summer Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The words of a last minute article. How can he judge Cork and Shels' performances if he wasn't there???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sfc red
    The words of a last minute article. How can he judge Cork and Shels' performances if he wasn't there???
    My opinion exactly. This article sounds more and more like a not very informed discussion in a pub than an actual piece of journalism.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    More trash. I'd rather have no aertel page than such a poor attempt at journalism.
    I agree.

Who is Mark O'Neill Cummins anyway? I've never heard of him, so why is his name attached to the article? I don't think that any other article on Aertel includes the name of the writer in the title.

The column is ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuy
    I agree.

Who is Mark O'Neill Cummins anyway? I've never heard of him, so why is his name attached to the article? I don't think that any other article on Aertel includes the name of the writer in the title.

The column is ridiculous.
    if you google him, all that comes up is aertel, here, and some stuff on golf from ages ago on eircom.net - the man's only function seems to be to fill up hyperspace with rambling nothingness. What happened to John Byrne? a hoop, but at least he knew what he was talking about

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan
    if you google him, all that comes up is aertel, here, and some stuff on golf from ages ago on eircom.net - the man's only function seems to be to fill up hyperspace with rambling nothingness. What happened to John Byrne? a hoop, but at least he knew what he was talking about
    He's the Rovers PR guy now Son of Stan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    He's the Rovers PR guy now Son of Stan
    yeah, I knew that actually - it was a feeble attempt at torpid mid- afternoon humour - I'll put a smiley in next time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    i'd prefer if they used that aertel page for upcoming eL fixtures rather than having to wait through premiership, championship&spl ones
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuy
    He has been doing that page since the start of last season AFAIK, and had some handy articles on there too. There have been threads praising the guy to the hilt over them too, so he must have been doing something right.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    He did give us a good mention though, and we didn't even play.
    Don't get too carried away, he's only using Sligo Rovers as a vehicle for his puerile Bohs bashing. Drogheda may have beaten us by a single goal but both teams were muck on the night and I suspect this Cummins mong was in Tolka for shamrock v Dundalk anyway.
    Last edited by Philo; 15/03/2006 at 8:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo
    ...and I suspect this Cummins mong was in Dundalk anyway.
    He wouldn't have seen much there since we were playing away...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong
    He wouldn't have seen much there since we were playing away...
    Er..... that's what I said.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Attn: SligoMan
    Two things 1 - Why do you criticise the aertel column each and every week? Have you nothing better to do? 2- Are you the genuis who criticised Emmet Malone in the IT? As i recall you said ' i take issue with several of Malone's points'. Who are you to take issue with Emmet Malone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milltown messer
    Attn: SligoMan
    Two things 1 - Why do you criticise the aertel column each and every week? Have you nothing better to do? 2- Are you the genuis who criticised Emmet Malone in the IT? As i recall you said ' i take issue with several of Malone's points'. Who are you to take issue with Emmet Malone?

Attention: milltown messer.
    Two things 1-Where did I criticise the Aertel column in this thread?
    2-Who the feck is Emmet Malone and what the feck are you talking about?.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sligoman. if you don't know who Emmet Malone is then you shouldn't be posting on an Irish soccer site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast