Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Stephen Ireland

Great touch, vision and technically good on the ball , the best debut last night?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Nah the Best debut happened in early 64 didn't it ?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    ba bum tsch
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Looked very good last night. Brady-esque.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie
    Looked very good last night. Brady-esque.
    20mins against a poor swedish side and already 2-0 and hes been compared to liam brady...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    jaysus I didnt think he was that great at all last nite..expected a bit more of him with all the hype......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites
    the best debut last night?
    Surely Kevin Doyle?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    Surely Kevin Doyle?
    Dont think Doyle was the best to be honest but i have seen a match rating report where Doyler scored a five out of ten (the lowest) .... not a fúcking chance was he the lowest on the pitch. You'd have to wonder about these things ... i mean some of the journos are given far too much leighway being allow that much ink, clowns probably aren't even at the games half the time.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Saw that review alright; definitely watching a different match to me. Thought Doyle had a fine debut, linked up really well, used the ball intellegently and caused trouble for the defenders. Unlucky not to bag a goal from a header. Hopefully he can be a premiership regular shortly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

From the Irish Indo

Ireland's new 'baby' is hungry for more

Stephen Ireland: the baby of the Irish squad has a baby son of his own

Eoin Dunne

AS far as international debuts go, Stephen Ireland's was pretty much a walk in the Lansdowne Road park on Wednesday night.

An embrace from Mick Byrne, who was celebrating Ireland's second goal, was the prelude to the 19-year-old's introduction and, suitably loved-up, he entered the fray just as Sweden were visibly wilting in the face boundless guile and endeavour.

Even so, at such a tender age, the experience could well have been overwhelming for the Cobh kid.

However, one person who knew exactly what he was going through was his new manager. Steve Staunton made his debut under Jack Charlton at the same age and, like Ireland, was the youngest member of the squad.

Staunton's time as 'baby of the squad' was a prolonged one, stretching all the way to Italia '90. However, if his policy of blooding new talent continues, that may not be the case with Ireland, especially if Owen Garvan continues to progress, but for now he is the young 'un.

"I felt nervous coming over because it was a new experience for me and they are all big names here," admitted the Manchester City midfielder.

"I've only really come onto the scene this year, but all I can do is act like myself and hopefully they will take to me."

Worries

There does not appear to be any worries on that score. "From the very first night they have all been brilliant. They all introduced themselves, have been very supportive and encouraging to me. I got the taste of it now and I'd love to have more. The players, the staff, and the gaffer's ideas have been brilliant. The training sessions were very good and morale has been high."

At 5'8", Ireland wouldn't be as imposing a figure as another debutant, Joey O'Brien, but he is tenacious, as he proved in the recent Manchester derby.

Stuart Pearce is one of English football's most respected figures and he showed just how much faith he has in Ireland by handing him a four-year-contract last October.

Ireland consulted Pearce before flying to Dublin. "The gaffer said go and do what you do best," revealed Ireland. "I was a bit nervous and didn't know what to expect, but he just said don't forget what you are good at and when you get your chance, whether it is at the start or when you come on, go and do what you can and try to impress."

Bust-up

Impress he did during in his 42-minute stint. It was in stark contrast to his last Irish experience which ended in an international exile after a bust-up with then underage manager Brian Kerr.

That chapter was well and truly ended against Sweden, and with a girlfriend and young son, he has much to be happy about as his career begins to blossom.

"I have great support in my corner," said Ireland. "My dad is very, very good to me. I have my own family, my girlfriend Jennifer and my baby boy, Joshua. Living with them gives me great determination and inspires me to go out and play well."

On returning to the Irish dressing room, every member of the squad signed Ireland's number 18 jersey and it will take pride of place on his wall at home.
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stephen Ireland is from Cork... how long before he throws a wobbly again?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Stephen Ireland is from Cork... how long before he throws a wobbly again?

Yet Staunton thought he needed the granny rule to get him to play. I really hope he gets that stupid idea out of his right now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    jaysus I didnt think he was that great at all last nite..expected a bit more of him with all the hype......
    the lad did well when he came on but hard coming into a game like that ffs .. he is not a regular for city yet so give the lad a chance .. joey o brien had the best of the debuts by a country mile imo ..doyle did well nothing spectacular but o brien looks a great little player .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinedineontour
    the lad did well when he came on but hard coming into a game like that ffs .. he is not a regular for city yet so give the lad a chance .. joey o brien had the best of the debuts by a country mile imo ..doyle did well nothing spectacular but o brien looks a great little player .
    He's actually not so little at 6ft1

I hope he starts getting games in CMF for Bolton soon because we need players there for the starting 11 more urgently.
    As it stand he would only be cover for Finnan at RB.
    Him and Stephen Reid together in CMF would be a nice hardy CMF pairing. If they are not creating a decent amount of chances we could replace one of them with a tricker player like A. Reid or Ireland with 20 mins to go after they have worn the opposition down. Would be abetter plan B than Kerr's one of bringing on Ian Harte and Ginger Pele and hoofing the ball into the box. Of course with all the small players we have at the moment another 6 footer on the pitch would be useful for set-pieces.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 04/03/2006 at 3:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha
    He's actually not so little at 6ft1

I hope he starts getting games in CMF for Bolton soon because we need players there for the starting 11 more urgently.
    As it stand he would only be cover for Finnan at RB.
    Him and Stephen Reid together in CMF would be a nice hardy CMF pairing. If they are not creating a decent amount of chances we could replace one of them with a tricker player like A. Reid or Ireland with 20 mins to go after they have worn the opposition down. Would be abetter plan B than Kerr's one of bringing on Ian Harte and Ginger Pele and hoofing the ball into the box. Of course with all the small players we have at the moment another 6 footer on the pitch would be useful for set-pieces.
    wouldn't be very confident asbout big sam playing him c-mid. o'brien said, "i suppose the gaffer would see me as a right back now". I read that a few days ago, it was followed with something along the lines of i dont mind as long as im playing. On a brighter note, i think i would be correct in saying he has played left back for bolton this season .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    Surely Kevin Doyle?
    Not a hope. I was very disappointed with Doyle, especially after all the hype the Cork fans were building up. Joey O'Brien had the best debut by far, in my opinion. Doyle didn't do much the whole game, how can you honestly say his was?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I thought Doyle was relatively quiet but i do feel he will get another chance and didnt disgrace himself whatsoever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    I thought Doyle was relatively quiet but i do feel he will get another chance and didnt disgrace himself whatsoever.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was a disgrace, I just don't see how someone would claim that he was the best out of all the debut's that night. I hope he starts the next game too, cos I know he has the ability and is well capable of playing for us, but he just didn't do well against Sweden in my opinion.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Ireland came on for the last 10 mins for city today. Not on long enough to warrant a rating

btw I thaught Doyle was very good last wednesday - he was a bit quiet but you could definitly see glimpses of his class alright

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Not a hope. I was very disappointed with Doyle, especially after all the hype the Cork fans were building up. Joey O'Brien had the best debut by far, in my opinion. Doyle didn't do much the whole game, how can you honestly say his was?

He was rubbish alright, completely over shadowed by Morrison who ran the show when he came on. Drop him for eternity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast