Thread: Honours even in Setanta Cup thriller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post Honours even in Setanta Cup thriller

Honours even in Setanta Cup thriller

Glentoran 3 Linfield 3

Linfield twice came from behind and had top scorer Glenn Ferguson sent off tonight as they made it 40 games unbeaten so far this season. In a brisk opening to this Setanta Cup clash, Glens took the lead through Darren Lockhart after 12 minutes with Linfield levelling six minutes later when Paul McAreavey found the net.

But Glens went back in front on 21 minutes when Colin Nixon slotted home a penalty. Oran Kearney then scored twice in the 50th and 68th minutes - either side of Ferguson’s dismissal for retaliation – as Blues stormed into the lead.

Read more at www.breakingnews.ie
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The only reason honours were even if the worst refereeing performance that I have ever witnessed and that is saying someting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    The only reason honours were even if the worst refereeing performance that I have ever witnessed and that is saying someting.
    Yeah, it's that southern diaspora of referee's, conspiring in smoky rooms to stop Linfield retaining the Setanta Sports Cup.

Laughable, only 'coz you girls actually believe it
    The only Irish club to win a European trophy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lux Interior
    Yeah, it's that southern diaspora of referee's, conspiring in smoky rooms to stop Linfield retaining the Setanta Sports Cup.
    Are you serious .... do the Blues think that, jebus they are worse than us so !!

You should have seen the goal that never was last year ... unreal !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Glens played very well on Tuesday night, although I'd be lying if I said Nixon's penalty had some doubt surrounding it, the same with Ferguson's sending off.

Linfield's defence was all over the joint. There was a gap the size of the pacific ocean that the Glens continuously exploited, and not only that, they were forced to move a few extra yards forward creating gaps there. This was partially down to Ervin being missing, but also, the Glens had a plan, stuck it, kept on fighting and looked pretty confident.

Glentoran more than deserved a share of the spoils, and now with a 2-0 win over Portadown where we showed the same qualities, I sincerely hope we are back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think we're a long way off from being "back", gfan. Millar's appointment is showing early promise, as you would expect, but - essentially - he's like a sticking plaster, loosely holding together the team until the end of the season.

He's rightly giving each player games to see what they're about and if - ultimately - they're good enough for GFC. Make no mistake, there'll be 4 or 5 heading out come the close season.

We might scab an Irish Cup but we'll finish rock bottom of our Setanta group and, IMO, these two stats aren't good enough - overall.
    The only Irish club to win a European trophy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know we are a long way back. A lot of work is required in the summer with, off the top of my head, three positions on the field dealt with.

All I said was I hope we are back, and ready to save this season with an Irish Cup and a second place finish in the league, and then get ready for next year.