Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Political Parties

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I remember a few years back a guy in my Politics tutorial was running for SU Welfare Officer, the one and only candidate, and in an interview to the College Observer he pretty much proved he had no clue what the post entailed. His classmates in Sociology ran a vigorous RON campaign against him though he won it in the end.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    Big thanks for that CTID - knew you could claim back but how much would you get back???

Hamish
    Well it depends what rate of income tax you pay but I would surmise you are a 40% tax payer in which case you get that much back. You can claim all medical expenses incurred over an amount of €125 for an individual per annum and €250 per annum for a couple. If you have a printer go on to www.revenue.ie and you can download the form. There are two medical expense claim forms download both and I think information leaflets may also be available on the website. You need to submit receipts . If you are on permanent medication you can as a PRSI payer get that subsidised. You can get any amount of medication for €85 a month and you can then claim the €85 a month back at the end of the year on the same tax form I have just told you about.

You can claim 2005 Expenses now once you have your P60 for last year or a statement of income. And any expenses incurred during 2006 can be claimed back early next year.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Never felt pressure to vote for anyone from family - always had it drummed into us the importance of a) that people died to get us a vote b) people died to get us a secret ballot.
    Quite right Macy. I also liked your point about not voting for one issue parties.
    I'd think it would be like buying a one trick pony for the circus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy
    why ?
    i dunno

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Am i right in saying you're legally obliged to vote in Australia?
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Force people to take an interest.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah think that is the case in Oz. you get fined if you dont vote and if you are away you have to post your vote. would be a great idea but forcing 40% of population to get out and vote might not be the greatest move ever on behalf of whatever gov brought it in...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    yeah think that is the case in Oz. you get fined if you dont vote and if you are away you have to post your vote. would be a great idea but forcing 40% of population to get out and vote might not be the greatest move ever on behalf of whatever gov brought it in...
    That's right. I don't know if it actually resulted in a backlash. That would be amusing.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Not to many FF people on here at all, they must be all in hiding !!!!

Well i'm FF, former member of the National Executive and 6 years on its National Youth Committee. Although after that i would transfer to Labour and then SF or a FF Independent.

Still help out Barry Andrews in Dun Laoghaire, you cant beat the craic of a canvass and meeting 100's of grumpy *******s on a saturday morning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Making voting compulsary would be fine if there was a "none of the above" option as there is a good section of the population who refuse their vote because of precieved ineptitude of their particular representatives.

Would vote SEA (Eamon Mc Cann) in any vote in Derry as he would probably me the only one in council to sort out the mess that is our stadium. Although I would share the republican ideals of Sinn Fein their behaviour in the last year most notably the Robery Mc Cartney murder would make legendary figures like Bobby Sands turn in his grave. The sheer arrogance of the party also turns me right off them, was told by a leading SF councillor that "it doesn't matter if you don't vote for me as I'll get in anyway"
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In some countries if the turn out is less than 50% the poll is deemed null and void and has to be held again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    In some countries if the turn out is less than 50% the poll is deemed null and void and has to be held again.
    That makes sense - what happens when lessthan 50% turns out at next poll though??
    (I just know CTID will have a smart-aleck reply to that )

I though it was Austria that had a law making voting mandatory.

On the subject of political parties, should the central body of a party be allowed to bring in their favoured nominee in place of one selected by the local cumann/party?? Notice it happens a lot here and in the UK.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    That makes sense - what happens when lessthan 50% turns out at next poll though??
    (I just know CTID will have a smart-aleck reply to that )
    Hamish

The same old shower remain in office! As regards Austria given their Nazi past they are bending over backwards to make sure their election results are fair and representative of the views of the people... if you don't vote you vill be shot!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ltfc_2004

Still help out Barry Andrews in Dun Laoghaire, you cant beat the craic of a canvass and meeting 100's of grumpy *******s on a saturday morning
    To bring this to football...
    Barry's Dad played for UCD in the 1950's in Universities soccer. He also played for UCG where he did Postgraduate study.
    Other politicians who played for UCD include the Late Brian Lenihan (RIP) and Ollie Byrne

and a totally different Barry Andrews had a brief spell with UCD in 2003 season.. probably the worst keeper ever to play for the first team in Belfield since 1979.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    To bring this to football...
    Barry's Dad played for UCD in the 1950's in Universities soccer. He also played for UCG where he did Postgraduate study.
    Other politicians who played for UCD include the Late Brian Lenihan (RIP) and Ollie Byrne:
    Pity Barry Andrews will only campaign on football when it involves "think of the children" and "Man United changing their jersey" in the one sentence.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'd be closest to the SDLP, but they don't stand in the south. I detest SF, and they always get the last place on the ballot. I actually have a hard time chosing from the rest of the parties, though:
    FF - too populist, disagree with decentralisation
    FG - don't really give a damn about the national question.
    Lab - Too far to the left (the loony left)
    Soc. - worse
    Greens - I hate (and don't understand) their anti-EU stance
    SF - fascists, marxist left
    PDs - maybe, sometimes too far right.

However, despite this dilema, I do always vote. The STV-PR system is good from the point of view of the voter (even if there are arguments against it because it promotes parochialism). You simply express preferences between the candidates on offer. If, like in my case, you detest one party over all others, you make sure that they are bottom of your list of preferences, surely you have some preference...!

As for voting along the same lines as my parents - I'm not even 100% sure who they vote for (though in Cork SC, its probably Micheál Martin). When we were in Derry it was obvious (SDLP) but not so much here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123