---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I think I remember seeing one at Ibrox.

The boys who manned the spitfires in the BOB wouldnt be too happy to see right wing fascists adopt it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo
    I think I remember seeing one at Ibrox.

The boys who manned the spitfires in the BOB wouldnt be too happy to see right wing fascists adopt it.
    britains stance in the two world wars was hypocritical.
    union jacks are often used as a hooligan flag,but some fans simply use it as it has similar colours to their club

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lopez wrote
    Anyone here old enough to remember those nice shaven-head lads that thought it a good idea to wave it at the Irish fans in Berne 1985? Man, did they get tw*tted!
    unfortunately I dont know anything of this incedent, but im really curious, can u tell us more?
    You gotta do what Randall Pink Floyd wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    unfortunately I dont know anything of this incedent, but im really curious, can u tell us more?
    OK. A group of local bonehead youths came in with those German style denim body warmers of the early eighties, complete with Schalke 04 , Millwall and of course the three hyenas Nothing was worn that represented their alleged country, Switzerland. One of them starts waving the butchers' apron and shouting abuse at the Irish fans. It kicked off minimally, but in my younger days I may add, I had already had words from my peers about my behaviour following a minor altercation with some Copenhagen policemen the previous october, so I stayed out of this. Anyway towards the end of the game they came back but more threatening. Suddenly it went thermo nuclear and I find myself punching f*ck out of some Romper Stomper extra. I was told later the fracas was mentioned on the comentary of the game being shown in Ireland. In the end one of the poor dears was carried out on a stretcher.

The odd thing about it all was that the police took no action., either during it or following it all. I was witnessed while with Hando, by a Policeman talking into a radio on the pitch but he seemed to take no action. Some Swiss I later talked to told me they hated this crowd, calling them Nazi German lovers, the sort that wanted Switzerland included in a German (fourth) reich.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down Wave Of Mutilation

The Irish flags some 'fans' bring along to wave & mount at, as I've seen, ALOT of English Premiership games is nearly a situation that defies judgement. Who knows what's goin through their minds & what their meaning is?

Maybe they're trying to tell us something? They should try themselves first!

It seems they wanna burst through their beliefs but are trapped in they're own delusions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Another favourite (Depor, Celta, some Betis and Sevilla) is the Jamaican flag. Hmmm: Wonder what that's about?
    Legalise it

The UJ is used by right wing hools in Europe

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Why are there so many tricolours at PL games in England ?
    Cause lots of morons with whom you share a passport bring them with them to games I suspect !

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto eile
    britains stance in the two world wars was hypocritical.
    union jacks are often used as a hooligan flag,but some fans simply use it as it has similar colours to their club
    Well Cork GAA fans fly anything remotely Red and White. Japanese Imperial Navy Flags, Star spangled banners, Canadian Flags, Swiss Flags, Austrian Flags, Danish Flags etc. because they are red and white the colours of Cork Bogball and Hurling teams!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I personally do not recognise the Butcher's Apron. Simply because in FIFA there is no such thing as the United Kingdom. There are England ( Flag = St. George's Cross) Wales( Flag = Red Dragon on green and white background) and Scotland ( flag = St Andrew's Cross on Navy Blue background).
    The Union Jack represents English hegemony over Wales and Scotland and as such is a bit of a red rag to a bull in my view. The British Empire is defunct. So that flag should go the way of the Hammer and Sickle ( USSR) The East German flag etc.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    I personally do not recognise the Butcher's Apron. Simply because in FIFA there is no such thing as the United Kingdom. There are England ( Flag = St. George's Cross) Wales( Flag = Red Dragon on green and white background) and Scotland ( flag = St Andrew's Cross on Navy Blue background).
    The Union Jack represents English hegemony over Wales and Scotland and as such is a bit of a red rag to a bull in my view. The British Empire is defunct. So that flag should go the way of the Hammer and Sickle ( USSR) The East German flag etc.
    I'm the opposite. United Nations members only in FIFA. If they want to have four teams join that tournament with Greenland and Tibet. Butchers apron is a fair reflection of the union of England and Wales and Scotland into a greater nation-state. It's the addition of the so-called St Patrick's cross I have a problem with.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There was a Union Jack before 1800 which featured only the George's Cross and the Andrew's Cross... that could be restored easily without any fuss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    There was a Union Jack before 1800 which featured only the George's Cross and the Andrew's Cross... that could be restored easily without any fuss.
    Yeah, there'd be no fuss at all
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Yeah, there'd be no fuss at all
    Well it wouldn't be claiming Ireland on it... i.e. no St. Patrick's Cross

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I know what it means. But you're an idiot if you think this wouldn't cause "fuss"
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I meant it in that the union jack symbolises britain only, where as flag of St. George is used by loads of regions etc
    That's true about the St. George is used by loads of regions.
    At the Ireland V Italy friendly last August I was in the West Stand near the corner of the North Terrace where the Itilian fans where.

You could clearly see in the Itilian crowd that someone had a flag very similiar to a St. George's cross

Some idiot of a woman behind me kept standing up and directing phrases like 'you English w**ker' at the guy in the terrace with the flag

Afew months back I watched a replay of the Enbland v West Germant WC Semi final in 1990.
    Most of the England fans had Union Jacks, since Euro 1996 it seems that the English have starting using the St. George's cross much more than the Union Jack.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well it wouldn't be claiming Ireland on it... i.e. no St. Patrick's Cross
    Last time I checked the flag of this country (Republic of Irelnd) was Green White and Orange, I don't see it in a Union Flag so what is the problem.

The flag of NI, which like (Wales, England and Scotland) is part of GB, is a St. Patrick's cross with a emblem in the center, therefore it should be part of the Union Flag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    2 quick things on this:

- There are plenty of people in Wales, Scotland and Ireland who define themselves as British and don't view the Union Jack as some sort of symbol of English imperialism.

- Not everyone in the world "hates the Brits" as much as our proud little nation.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Lads if you want to debate your ideal Union flag and what the Union flag means to you then do it on the Current Affairs forum of elsewhere.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint
    2 quick things on this:

- There are plenty of people in Wales, Scotland and Ireland who define themselves as British and don't view the Union Jack as some sort of symbol of English imperialism.

- Not everyone in the world "hates the Brits" as much as our proud little nation.
    Not everyone in the world had the experience of centuries of mis-rule by them either!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast