Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweden Squad announced

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree that it does seem bizarre that we regularly name a squad of players based totally on players playing in a foreign league and with not one single home based player. I can't think of another current European national side that has a similar policy of overlooking homebased players and undermining it's own domestic competition in the way that we do. Surely it makes sense to make room for at least your top league scorer or to have the squad's third choice keeper based in the EL.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I'd be interested in hearing Doyle's own slant on it. Has playing for a bigger professional club, with better facilities, training daily with better team mates (as I'm sure you'll admit), playing under a high quality coach, playing in a tougher league made him a better player? Was he surprised himself how well he has done?.
    He was asked in a recent enough interview (on RTE 2FM) what did he think was the reason that he was flying and did he find much difference in standards etc. He didn't answer directly on standard of play or coaching but just said that he had plenty of confidence in his game and wasn't afraid of the challenges.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What would people think about having a guarenteed quota of home-based players in a squad. Say have a squad of 23 then the best goalie, defender, midfielder and striker from the Eircom League making a squad of 27.
    Last edited by bawn79; 23/02/2006 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bawn79
    What would people think about having a guarenteed quotp of home-based players in a squad. Say have a squad of 23 then the best goalie, defender, midfielder and striker from the Eircom League making a squad of 27.
    Wouldn't that devalue the Eircom League? The players wouldn't be getting in because they deserve it, they're getting in because it's written in law that they have to have squad numbers.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    No quotas, no token gestures!

If the swedes can add 4-5 local players to what will probably be close to their WC squad & swedish league has poor record against the eL then why are eL players not good enough?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Regarding home-based Swedes - all of them have played abroad and are, for the most part, coming to the end of their careers. It rare for a home-based player nowdays to come into their competitive squads if they haven't had experience from playing abroad. 90% of the high-profile players in the Swedish league are players returning home from a career abroad - for instance Henrik Larsson has signed to play with Helsingborg from this summer. Whilst most of our international players chose to continue living in England even after their careers finish, Swedish internationals are more prone to finish their careers in the Swedish league and settle in Sweden there after. Those Swedish internationals returning home have already proven they can play at international level and the fact that their now plying their trade in the Swedish league doesn't automatically make them bad internationals. I'm all for league of ireland lads coming into the international if they are good enough but a comparison with players from the Swedish league is misguided based on the above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete

If the swedes can add 4-5 local players to what will probably be close to their WC squad & swedish league has poor record against the eL then why are eL players not good enough?
    Any stats of games between EL and swedish league teams over the last few years? isnt the swedish top flight 100% a pro league though? I.e thats what the EL needs to keep our best players at home i guess...
    I

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Wouldn't that devalue the Eircom League? The players wouldn't be getting in because they deserve it, they're getting in because it's written in law that they have to have squad numbers.
    I agree completely with your point tetsujin, players should be selected in the squad on merit not to meet quotas
    Caller to Radio 5 phone-in: There are too many foreign players in the league.
    Mark Lawrenson: Why do you think that is?
    Caller: Because there are a lot of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say
    Any stats of games between EL and swedish league teams over the last few years? isnt the swedish top flight 100% a pro league though? I.e thats what the EL needs to keep our best players at home i guess...
    Not 100% professional but pretty much so. Some of the smaller teams have part-time professionals. I know one of the top players for Gefle last year was a farmer by day.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I really dont see whats wrong with quotas, people are complaining that home-based players are not getting a chance, simply this would give them a chance to train with better/equally good players and therefore they could show that they were up to the level without having to transfer abroad.
    If they weren't good enough then they wouldn't be played. If they weren't then there is nothing to lose.
    Id prefer if we didnt need a quota but at present this simply means that the current and past managements don't think the standard is good enough in the Eircom league and so don't pick any players.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12