Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Was McCarthy Right To Send Keane Packing?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 52.63%
  • No

18 47.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was McCarthy Right To Send Keane Packing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts

Was McCarthy Right To Send Keane Packing?

Well? What does the discerning Foot.ie member think?

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No way, I dont care what happened he should not have been sent home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Home. especially if those comments were true

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "Row Z" MCCarthy should have been sent home. The FAI said it is because of his interviews with RTE and the IT. What was so wrong with what he said? That pr*ck McCarthy is to blame for this, because if he was a half decent manager, things would nnever have come to this.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Definitely right to send him home. Especially after he said he was retiring from international football and was going home the day before only to change his mind. Anyone who does something like that doesn't deserve to play at a World Cup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by COLM
    No way, I dont care what happened he should not have been sent home.

COLM,

do you do anything other than stir ****... You make a rash comment without making the arguement, once fine, but second consective time.....will you sit up and say more than 'no he shouldn't have been sent home'....
    your a disgrace... and a bit of a boll!x

Given all* the reasons in the media, at the moment I believe McCarthy was right...

[SIZE=1]*pending the stories in the aftermath of the world cup[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Xlex; 23/05/2002 at 3:59 PM.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Let's be honest oddboy, if Keane hadn't gone around complaining about everything like a spoilt brat, it wouldn't have come to this either. His behaviour was an absolute disgrace, I don't care who he is. I'd question the sense of sending him home, but when you get right down to it, what was left? He'd already threatened to leave, how do we know that he wouldn't have put his heart and soul into if he'd stayed?

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Heh, thanks for inadvertently pointing out that the censor was turned off Xlex.

adam

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Vetinari
    Heh, thanks for inadvertently pointing out that the censor was turned off Xlex.

adam
    Trust me to highlight such an issue...... LOL
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Vetinari
    Let's be honest oddboy, if Keane hadn't gone around complaining about everything like a spoilt brat, it wouldn't have come to this either. His behaviour was an absolute disgrace, I don't care who he is. I'd question the sense of sending him home, but when you get right down to it, what was left? He'd already threatened to leave, how do we know that he wouldn't have put his heart and soul into if he'd stayed?

adam
    1)It was only because of him "complaining about everything like a spoilt brat" as you call it, that anything has improved in the FAI. Remember this is the crowd who run the national league of this country, the same league which we do not know for certain yet has been won by.

2) McCarthy has said that he picked the base in Saipan. He picked an island that did not even have a football pitch.

3) We qualified for Korea/Japan over 6 months ago, yet they could not send the training gear on time.

4)McCarthy wants "to enjoy the world cup". Keane wants to try and win the thing.

5) The FAI press conference stated that the 2 interviews RK gave were the reason he was sent home. I've read the Tom Humphries interview, and seen O'Donoghues interview on TV. What did RK say that was so wrong?

6)RK may have been wrong in the way he delivered the message, but is that reason enough to shoot the messenger?

7) When has RK EVER played a game for Ireland that he did not put his heart and soul into it?

8) I'm f*cking gutted that RK is not there, he is worth more to Ireland than 10 McCarthys and he is ten times the man McCarthy could ever hope to be.

Nothing personal Adam, but this hurts and I really think RK is getting the sh*tty end of the stick here. The f*cking PR campaign is in overdrive already.......................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm agree wholeheartedly with oddboy on this one.
    Bureaucracy is a challenge to be conquered with a righteous attitude, a tolerance for stupidity and a bulldozer when necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh
    i just wrote a big long fat answer then went to reread it and to be honest you cant and should post about 50 lines of text with so many expletives in it when 1 will do
    [SIZE=4]**** IT ANYWAY [/SIZE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    In my opinion both McCarthy and Keane are idiots...

They should realise the country is bigger than both their ego's.

Well thanks a lot... our World Cup is totally ruined now... I dont have any confidence in the remaining squad to overcome this!

Keane may as well stay in England now, i dont think he will be welcome back home.

I reckon he will be in number of "incidents" with the public after this.

Does anyone else, feel a tinge of blame resides with Man Utd too? F***kers, i was a casual utd fan, but as of today i am not!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    1)It was only because of him "complaining about everything like a spoilt brat" as you call it, that anything has improved in the FAI. Remember this is the crowd who run the national league of this country, the same league which we do not know for certain yet has been won by.

Granted, some of Keane's complaints were justified, however some of them were plain-jane grandstanding. Keane is a star, so he has to be given some leeway, but there also has to be limits. Besides, since when has anything improved in the FAI? Keane was whinging years ago.

2) McCarthy has said that he picked the base in Saipan. He picked an island that did not even have a football pitch.

McCarthy maintains that they were on Saipan to acclimatise. Seems like a perfectly valid explanation to me.

3) We qualified for Korea/Japan over 6 months ago, yet they could not send the training gear on time.

My answer to this would depend on who "they" is.

4)McCarthy wants "to enjoy the world cup". Keane wants to try and win the thing.

I don't see why they can't do both.

5) The FAI press conference stated that the 2 interviews RK gave were the reason he was sent home. I've read the Tom Humphries interview, and seen O'Donoghues interview on TV. What did RK say that was so wrong?

No idea.

6)RK may have been wrong in the way he delivered the message, but is that reason enough to shoot the messenger?

Yes, he acted unprofessionally. If nothing was coming from the proper process, I accept that it's time to go to the press. But any civilised person should be able to do that without slanging, bitching and whining. Temper tantrums solve nothing, and let's be honest, Keane had a temper tantrum.

7) When has RK EVER played a game for Ireland that he did not put his heart and soul into it?

Well, his heart and soul doesn't seem to be in the World Cup, now does it. But I accept that there's a difference between on the pitch and off it.

8) I'm f*cking gutted that RK is not there, he is worth more to Ireland than 10 McCarthys and he is ten times the man McCarthy could ever hope to be.

Well, I'm sorry to hear it. But what's done is done. They either have to kiss and make up now, or get on with the job without him. I'd prefer that they settled their differences, but that doesn't seem likely.

Nothing personal Adam, but this hurts and I really think RK is getting the sh*tty end of the stick here. The f*cking PR campaign is in overdrive already.......................

We're all getting the sh*tty end of the stick here, but my point stands: Keane is hardly blameless. In the PC, you could see the media out for McCarthy's blood -- that was wrong.

adam

brine2
    An Ireland without Keane goes 1-0 down at home to Andorra.

We're screwed.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [SIZE=1]from ireland.com[/SIZE]
    Feel-good factor over as manager betrays us

The feel-good factor is over. Depression starts now. Who cares who forms the next government? The World Cup is finished. A page has been ripped from our book of hopes and we will never be as optimistic again.
    We've lost our captain, Roy Keane, one of the greatest mid-fielders in the world. We want Keane on the pitch, not on the plane.

We will not get over this, no matter what Jimmy Magee says. Roy was the spirit and soul of not just the Irish team, but of the greater Team Ireland and it was up to Mick McCarthy to manage him, nurture him and keep him within stable boundaries.

It's our children that are most confused and disenchanted. Keane is their hero. They believed that Ireland could win, and, innocent as it may seem, Ireland was going to win because of Keane.

How do we explain to them that their dreams are dead because of ridiculous, petty squabbles between adults? Especially when the child in all of us feels let down by McCarthy's narrow-mindedness.

If you are a manager of vision, you do not let go of your ultimate resource. You let him throw tantrums, if that's what he has to do. You let a key player like Keane vent his concerns in the media, if it makes him feel better.

You let him act like a prima donna, if that's the case. You make sure he's happy with the travel arrangements and training facilities. When he's working his magic on the field, it's all worth it.

McCarthy has called Keane a "disruptive influence". Sorry, Mick, but all geniuses are disruptive. They mix things up and flip the world on its axis.

It's why they're great. As a manager with an eye on the wider picture, you have to be even bigger than a Roy Keane.

It doesn't matter whether you've got official World Cup balls in Saipan or not, you have to have the balls to make your hero feel like one while still retaining confidence in your own leadership.

Like a good parent, your first responsibility is to contain your child within a world that makes him feel safe and secure. You must have the empathy to get inside his head and understand his fears and insecurities.

You have to know him better than he knows himself and give him the conditions he needs to flourish. That doesn't mean you let him walk all over you, it just means you're stronger than he is. Psychological studies of successful managers of corporations have found that they share one quality: emotional intelligence.

They are people managers who know how to inspire performance. Mick McCarthy betrayed his immaturity when he said that his finest player was having "personal problems", as if this was an aberration.

Of course Roy Keane was having personal problems. The rest of the team are likely to be having personal problems too. Being a high achiever with the hopes of a nation riding on your performance, is a very personal problem.

You struggle with your confidence night and day. Stress, anxiety and injury, as Keane has admitted , is part of what you are paid for. Likewise, those who manage stars like Keane are paid to deal with their performer's stress, anxiety and injury.

McCarthy's passion and commitment shouldn't be to bolster his own ego, it should be to nurture each of his players as individuals. It is McCarthy's job to ensure that personal problems don't get in the way of success. McCarthy may justify sending Roy Keane home as being beneficial for "the team", but without its star player to galvanise them, there is no team.

A group of people can function under the control of a leader, but good leaders know that to win, rather than merely function, you need errant geniuses who do the unexpected. Individuals like Keane are different than you and me. We in Ireland hate genius. When the heads of the poppies grow too high, we mow them down.

We despise achievement and accomplishment. The only way an Irishman can get recognition is if he succeeds abroad and becomes "British" or "American".

When he comes home, he had better be careful. We won't stand for any of that "personal" nonsense. Our pride in the Irish team was one way we were breaking through these insecurities to celebrate ourselves.

We may slag Bono with his aspirations for global healing, but Roy Keane - who quietly gave away a substantial proportion of his money to charity - was a man of the people. If only Bertie could go in and sort it out. We don't need Bertie as Taoiseach as much as we need him to be manager of the Irish team.

As a consensus man, Bertie wouldn't have let this happen. He would have stayed awake for 36 hours talking to all sides before he let it things deteriorate into a victory of one ego over another. Bertie wouldn't have been into the blame-game.

He would have risen above the petty squabbles about facilities, food and football and seen the bigger picture. He would never have sent Roy Keane home. If Roy Keane had chosen to resign, on the other hand. . . But that's not the point. Our hero has been sent home. Our manager has betrayed us. We are bereft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Especially when the child in all of us feels let down by McCarthy's narrow-mindedness.

what about the child in us that would give his left arm to play in the World Cup and wouldnt moan about conditions just because they arent up to his standard . i mean fine he was rright but he had no right to bring it up now and then make it an issue where by he was prepared to sacrifice his last chance to play in the worlds biggest tournament

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did I miss something....

....has the entire sporting world become a WWF franchise ?
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Irwin backs Keane over 'amateurish' FAI

Denis Irwin has stood up for former Manchester
    United and Republic of Ireland team-mate Roy
    Keane, accusing the Irish Football Association of
    `amateurish' organisation - but said he thought
    Keane would be feeling 'very lonely'.

Irwin, whose United career came to an end this
    season, sympathises with Keane, who was kicked out
    of the Irish World Cup squad following a row with
    manager Mick McCarthy.

He told the Daily Express: 'This has been developing
    for quite a while. The FAI are amateurish in the way
    they do things - the way we have travelled, the hotels
    we have stayed in and the training facilities laid on
    for us.

'Roy brought this up a couple of years ago and things
    did seem to improve.

'But you can see by their flights to the Far East - from Dublin to Amsterdam to
    Tokyo and then out to Saipan - it was a gruelling trip and they should really have
    flown direct, like England.

'Roy is serious about football, he wants his team-mates to think the same way as
    him and he wants training to be perfect because they are playing in a World Cup.

'I'm sure Roy will be feeling a very lonely man. There are no winners in this, only
    losers.

'Roy's a loser, Mick's a loser and the other players are losers and so are the fans.
    They are going to miss a world-class player.'
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Xlex

COLM,

do you do anything other than stir ****... You make a rash comment without making the arguement, once fine, but second consective time.....will you sit up and say more than 'no he shouldn't have been sent home'....
    your a disgrace... and a bit of a boll!x
    Given all* the reasons in the media, at the moment I believe McCarthy was right...[/SIZE]
    Xlex, I am just stating my opinion, which I am entitled to do. I think it was the wrong decision to send Roy home, I feel that had Jack Charlton or Alex Ferguson been in charge they would have handled the situation in a far better way. At USA 94 Roy had a row with Maurice Setters, Jack sorted it out and then made them both appear before the press and deny that the whole thing ever happened.
    Roy has been in trouble a fair few times at United and Alex always sorted it out without having to leave things go this far.
    Paul McGrath said today that he often said much worse things to big Jack and that he felt Roy was treated unfairly.
    Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of Mick McCarthys but I just feel he handled this situation very badly.

Xlex, it looks to me like you are very angry about the whole sorry mess and that you decided to direct all your frustration at me!!
    But thats ok I understand you need a way of releasing your anger!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast