Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UCD 0-1 Monaghan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

UCD 0-1 Monaghan

This result has been texted to me by Harpo. A goal by McNevin. Lineup according to Harpo and my memory was:

Some guy who's name I should have remembered in goal, Mahon, D. Ryan, McNally, Kenna, McDonnell, Harte, Hurley, Cawley, McWalter, Sammon.

I'm sure Harpo will confirm the positions and tell us of the performance later.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sholy Hit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Well we were missing our two internationals. Plus it was the first game of the season. Oh did I mention we were down two stars due to having Dicker and Quigley called up to the Irish U-21s?
    Last edited by Poor Student; 19/02/2006 at 8:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    This result has been texted to me by Harpo. A goal by McNevin. Lineup according to Harpo and my memory was:

Some guy who's name I should have remembered in goal, Mahon, D. Ryan, McNally, Kenna, McDonnell, Harte, Hurley, Cawley, McWalter, Sammon.
    Superb memory Poor,
    UCD
    Jimmy Hussey;Mahon (James Lee Mathews 67'), D. Ryan (David Last 60')McNally(Aaron McEniff 60'), Kenna; McDonnell, Hurley(Gerard Murray 67'), Alan Cawley, McWalter; Sammon, Doyle (Conan Byrne 67').

Monaghan Utd.
    Horgan (substitute);P. Finnegan (S. Finnegan), Keyes (Mckeogh), Sargeant (O'Shea), Cronin; Harte, Gannon, Fullam (Burke),R. Smith (Lee);McNevin (McCann),P. Smith

First pre-season friendly of the year at Belfield Park, showed how far away UCD are from where they need to be to compete in the Premier Division this season. Still, both teams played a relaxed game of football.

We started the first-half well with balls knocked up from Mahon, McWalter and Hurley to the two new forwards Derek Doyle and Conor Sammon. Who have been part of the two-in-row U21 championship team. But in the absence of any of last years strikers, it may take a while for the team to get a cutting edge.

UCD left holes at the back which Mon U. exploited through counter-attacks later in the half, Shane Harte (I think) clipping the crossbar and Jimmy Hussey tidying up and positioning himself for strikes from the edge of the box. UCD defence were very square too many times.

Monaghan got their goal early in the second half, free on the right-side of the box, low ball Alan McNevin got a toe to it in the six-yard box.

UCD kept plugging away through the raft of changes from both teams which started at half-time. McWalter hit the post, both Monaghan keepers (at different times in the match) made brave saves and were stretched. McDonnell made the sub-keeper save with a floated header.

Sammon held the ball up and kept chasing right through the game, he'll need alot of support in midfield. A midfield where Alan Cawley played very deep at the start of his second spell with UCD.

Finally, David Last, who replaced another returnee Darragh Ryan, did the simple things right.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I'd be interested to know if Paul Byrne, Damien Kelly, Shane Long and Ronan Finn are still at the club. I'd have expected them to figure at some point. Bizarre choice of a front pairing in Sammon and Doyle. Disappointing to hear the defence looking a bit dodgy though it's early days. How was the pitch btw?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Doyle and Sammon know each other well from the u21s.

The pitch was fine. Maybe a little dewey, but I believe the groundstaff have that in hand.

After Edit:

Yea, I kew I forgot something. Newguy's new nickname with his team is "Gan-o", of all things.
    His family were there too.
    Last edited by HarpoJoyce; 19/02/2006 at 5:27 PM.
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Couldn't score against a First Division team how depressing is that ?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well we were missing our two interationals. Plus it was the first game of the season. Oh did I mention we were down two stars due to having Dicker and Quigley called up to the Irish U-21s?
    They flew home last night and could have played

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Pretty fair assessment. We were pleased with the win and the clean sheet, but pre-season friendlies are always poor barometers of teams imo.
    Gann-o has impressed for us, the best of our new signings imo.
    Special mention for your announcer and his "multiplicity" of substitutions in the second half

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce
    Doyle and Sammon know each other well from the u21s.
    I know that Harpo but as far as I was concerned Doyle has been a left winger both at senior and U-21 level.

Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce
    The pitch was fine. Maybe a little dewey, but I believe the groundstaff have that in hand.
    I see monutdfc is mentioning the announcer so I see it was actually played in our hollowed ground.

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    They flew home last night and could have played
    You'd risk them immediately after coming back for a pre-season friendly instead of giving them a little rest?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You'd risk them immediately after coming back for a pre-season friendly instead of giving them a little rest?
    10 minutes as subs why not?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dicker played 3 games in 5 day's and Quigley played in 2 games, and you don't see a reason to rest them for a nothing pre-season friendly....good idea burnout your 2 best players before the season starts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    You may have been missing your 2 U21 heroes but we were also missing our Republic of Ireland Schools International player Ger O'Callaghan. His Northern Ireland Schools counterpart (Stephen Finnegan) was playing but he was a bit reserved in his tackling and didnt push himself too hard coz he has some important schools games coming up. We were also missing our Irish Colleges rep (Paul Whelan) due to injury!

It was a great way to spend a sunday afternoon. Went home happy that our lads put on a good display without really breaking a sweat. David Lee has improved since last saw him against Armagh and I hope he continues to improve as he gets back to full fitness after his disasterous injury last season. Also great to see Barry Burke playing so well! There will be fierce competition for positions this season which can only be good.

Really looking forward to taking on Waterford next weekend now and hope that Jim Murphy will be back. Oh and btw our reserve goalie is Tadhg Murphy.

Brian Gannon was great and his work rate amazing so can see how you had so much praise for him. Oh and his family are lovely!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegit
    Dicker played 3 games in 5 days and Quigley played in 2 games, and you don't see a reason to rest them for a nothing pre-season friendly....good idea burnout your 2 best players before the season starts.
    Can't argue with that really. Put them in for the Rovers game and one of the games this weekend and that's plenty. They're already well up to speed with the two/three games under their belt in Madeira.

I see no Robbie Martin either. Injured or left, as predicted on here before? Another big loss, I think.

Magicme, I hope you're not comparing one Irish Schools international to two Irish U-21 internationals?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Martin has left and will not be back this season. I even heard he might be on his way to Longford in exchange for one there centre forwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thegit
    Martin has left and will not be back this season. I even heard he might be on his way to Longford in exchange for one there centre forwards.
    Where did you hear this?
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,232 Posts
    Couple of other thoughts -

> Why put Doyle up front and Podge on the wing? The other way around would make far more sense.
    > Good to see Allie Mac still with us! Though it may well be his last season as he can leave for free at the end of the year.
    > First game of the season or not, that's a full-strength team, U-21s aside. With respect to the Mons, it's a bit worrying that we couldn't beat Monaghan, especially given how easily we won in a friendly last season. Though it's not as if it's our first dodgy result in a friendly ever.
    > Paul Byrne's absence is particularly worrying given his serious injury problems. I suppose we do still have the others Poor Student mentioned, but we do badly need a forward too. The "experienced striker" we were looking for hasn't materialised...

Harpo, was there a new kit or did we still have the proper crest?

Edit - any word on which centre-forward? Dessie Baker and Andy Myler are both former UCD players, and they'd be good replacements.

Good to see we're getting some good inside tips on the forum after all the dodgy rumours we had at one stage!

Edit eile - Harpo, I've adapted your match report for the official website. Hope you don't mind!
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/02/2006 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Magicme, I hope you're not comparing one Irish Schools international to two Irish U-21 internationals?
    Not really but just saying that we were missing one of our "stars" too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Harpo, was there a new kit or did we still have the proper crest?

Crest? Oh yes crest. Didn't notice, I think it was the same kit as last year.
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I've split the Gary Dicker discussion into a new thread in case anyone is confused!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast