Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Derry target Windsor win

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post Derry target Windsor win

Derry target Windsor win

Derry City manager Stephen Kenny insists his side will be aiming for all three points in Monday evening’s big Setanta Cup opener against Linfield at Windsor Park. The historic clash, the first competitive meeting between the sides in 35 years, will be screened live on Setanta Sports, with an 8pm kick-off.

The fixture is a first competitive game for Derry in almost three months, and add in the fact that red-hot Linfield – the winners of last year’s inaugural Setanta Cup – are 20 points clear at the top of the Carnegie Premier League, and Derry could be forgiven for going into the game with some trepidation.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    And why not... a lot though seems to be focused on security fears like crowd trouble etc. I sincerely hope there isnt. Its the first time the two clubs have met competitively fro 30 odd years. Derry fans give the blues fans who travelled up a standing ovation. Bar a few idiots who dont even support the team, there was no trouble between the two sets of supporters. It is going to be an interesting game with hopefully football the winner.

Linfield fans views on game and hopefully no trouble please...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There is very little chance of trouble at this fixture. Both sets of fans are well apart and the route to the ground is theough an industrail/retail park which will be well policed.

It hasn't really caught the imagination of the public in Belfast, dunno why, So I don't see it being that good a home crowd. Ticket sales have been poor and the press is way off the mark with all this "sell out" hype.

The fans do rate the cup, especially the prize money and for me winning the Setanta in Dublin last year has been one my own personal highlights following The Blues in nearly 20 years.
    Hatchets and Hammers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna1886
    winning the Setanta in Dublin last year has been one my own personal highlights following The Blues in nearly 20 years.
    Why .... it was only Shels !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    It hasn't really caught the imagination of the public in Belfast, dunno why, So I don't see it being that good a home crowd. Ticket sales have been poor and the press is way off the mark with all this "sell out" hype.
    Most of the hype has been from derry because its our first season in the competition. We are all looking forward to it and its a big thing for us to be playing teams from the irish league because after all its the same league we were thrown out of. We want to show how much the Irish League misses Derry.