Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Another Full Back - Carr

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Another Full Back - Carr

Staunton states that there has been a positive discussion with Steven Carr about his return.

What do you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well in his favour, he's another experienced player, but his form has plummeted in the last 3 years, and maybe beyond that. If he got fitness and form back, he'd be a welcome addition, though I wouldn't have him first choice anymore. Interestingly, what does the fact that the talks are going well say about his relationship with the former set up, or people in it?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Finnan is a far superior player and should have started all those games at the end of the world cup campaign instead of carr.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vega007
    Finnan is a far superior player and should have started all those games at the end of the world cup campaign instead of carr.
    Agreed!
    I'm not too impressed by carr's attitude, whether he got on with Kerr or not, He should be giving 100% for his country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don't reckon we need him; with Finnan, O'Brien and Kelly the position is covered. If he were left-footed, now that would be another matter...
    Greece 1 - 0 Germany
    Socrates (89)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Over the post
    Don't reckon we need him; with Finnan, O'Brien and Kelly the position is covered. If he were left-footed, now that would be another matter...
    Agree with that. Finnan's in better form and it would be better to bring on a youngster. I think Finnan and Carr are a similar age, what's the point in relying on those two only for them both to retire at the same time and leave us up the creek. Would rather give the youngsters a go.
    "...and it's Charlie Chaplin on the wing..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoof!
    Well in his favour, he's another experienced player, but his form has plummeted in the last 3 years, and maybe beyond that. If he got fitness and form back, he'd be a welcome addition, though I wouldn't have him first choice anymore. Interestingly, what does the fact that the talks are going well say about his relationship with the former set up, or people in it?
    I think he announced his retirement right after Kerr left. If it was due to not getting on with the old management he could have waited like Mattie Holland to see who the new guy was. Maybe he gets on really well with Staunton
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think with carr he wasnt enjoying it no matter who was boss. he came out in his retirement statement in favour of keeping Kerr on. I would say he just hates the media in ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Seems to hate everything, the grumpy little ****er
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Thumbs down

not too long ago Newcastle played him right mid due to injuries and suspensions, and by all accounts acquitted himself very well, as we know Finnan has been asked to play right mid ocassionally, could we possibly see the two of them start for Ireland right full and right mid....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    O'Brien's only doing a job at right full, he's really a midfielder and spent 3 months last season in that position at Sheffield Wednesday, Kelly can't get Stalteri out of the team at Spurs. I see your point, but I think it would do no harm to have him stick around for a couple of years, while the younger lads become hopefully regulars or figure out their best position.

Agree with all the Finnan points, head and shoulders above Carr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoof!
    O'Brien's only doing a job at right full, he's really a midfielder and spent 3 months last season in that position at Sheffield Wednesday, Kelly can't get Stalteri out of the team at Spurs. I see your point, but I think it would do no harm to have him stick around for a couple of years, while the younger lads become hopefully regulars or figure out their best position.

Agree with all the Finnan points, head and shoulders above Carr.

I suppose in a situation where Finnan were injured, Kelly playing reserve football and O'Brien being needed in midfield there may be a case for Carr, but it is a bit of a worst case scenario. O'Brien may be a makeshift full back but Carr's been on the wane for a while now and O'Brien is proving himself both in the Premiership and the UEFA cup.
    Greece 1 - 0 Germany
    Socrates (89)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I suppose in a situation where Finnan were injured, Kelly playing reserve football and O'Brien being needed in midfield there may be a case for Carr, but it is a bit of a worst case scenario. O'Brien may be a makeshift full back but Carr's been on the wane for a while now and O'Brien is proving himself both in the Premiership and the UEFA cup.
    True, reading over my last post was a bit doom and gloom. And with the form he's in, a kid would probably be better anyway.