3 Posts
    Given
    Finnan, O Brien, Dunne, O'Shea
    Reid Kavanagh Ireland Duff
    Doyle Keane

Subs:
    O'Brien for Finnan or O'Shea
    Morrison for Keane

Squad shows how poor we really are. 2nd string team is hopelessly inexperienced or just not good enough. Midfield is especially poor. I am basing this on newbies being completely unproven

I agree with comments that Staunton should have added a few exytra players to the squad to add more competition in training.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    A few have called for Kavanagh, and I can't see him as a regular first teamer, even though he is playing well at the moment. He must be 33 and I doubt will improve much now.

Like Holland & Kinsella and others he looked much better playing next to Keane.

Better off trying O'Brien there, partnered by Steven Reid. Kavanagh is a great squad player.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Team for Sweden

Given

J.O'Brien Dunne O'Shea Harte

Finnan S.Reid Kilbane Duff

Keane Doyle

I personally think this is the best team

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    The point I've been trying to make is that during the last campaign with Keane & KK in central midfield, our midfield was nothing but a vehicle to get the ball out wide. As we had no threat through the centre it was easy for the opposition to negate our wide players. One possible solution to this is to have a more solid midfield three with a creative player just ahead of them. Just a thought. If I could pick one major tactical weakness in the last campaign it was our inability to create anything whatsoever from central midfield and rectifying this is a big challenge.
    There were a number of reasons for our failure to get some width to our game.
    We didn't get any width because the team was totally unbalanced.
    To gain some width there is a vital triangle between full back - central midfield and winger. Our triangles on both sides of the pitch just didn't work because the balance and passing wasn't right.
    On the left the O'Shea, Kilbane,Duff triangle was totally unbalanced.
    We had a right footed LB and Kilbane who hasn't the nous of passing quality for a CM. The link up just didn't work to set someone free.
    The Right side worked a bit better because we had Finnan and Keane but A.Reid was left footed. It would have worked a lot better with a right footed winger.
    I could go into this a lot more but basically what I'm saying is that the reason our wingers did not work was down to our failure rather than the oppositions defence.
    Of course we will run into defences that will target this but I think we could have a good blend of creative CM and dangerous wing play.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Agree with you toatlly re-balance. Our balance, and the fact that throughout the team there were effective partnerships and players complementing each other was one of the reasons the WC02 qualification campaign was such a success. Left footers on the left, a ball winner & a ball user in midfield, etc. etc.

Anyway, reading the papers online this morning I though The Examiner covered yesterday's press conference best, talking about Carr, Kennedy, Doherty, saying Lee was in the squad until Tuesday and so on.

Here's an interesting extract:

Staunton said he would be using the time together to acquaint his squad with what looks like being a more flexible tactical approach, particularly away from home.

“It’s not rocket science,” he said. “We’re not going to be doing anything drastic. But we’ll show them one or two ideas and try and get into their heads that we’re going to be a little bit more flexible. Flexibility in terms of formation, players, everything.

“When you look at the stats, we haven’t won a serious away game for the best part of 20 years. That’s something we have to address. We know what we can do with a 4-4-2 system but maybe we might have to tinker going away from home. Looking at the group, I think all the teams we’re going to play against play 4-4-2, so if we get an advantage by changing it away from home, we’ll use it.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That is a good article in the Examiner. Staunton's explanation for including Gary Breen (a bit of experience) makes some sense.

I agree that sorting out a central midfield paring is vital, I think Kavanagh and S Reid would be the safest bet for starters, although the younger lads such as Ireland, J O'Brien and even Garvan should be given the chance to stake their claims.
    Greece 1 - 0 Germany
    Socrates (89)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bawn79
    Given (c)

Finnan OBrien Dunne Harte

Ireland Reid Kavanagh Duff

Keane Doyle

Wouldve like to see McCarthy in the squad to see how he fares out at centre-half.
    Maybe bring on OBrien for Harte later on and move finnan across to see if that would work (I doubt it) and Lawrence for Ireland, need to start putting together a midfield partnership so give reid and kavanagh the 90mins.
    Give Kenny a half as well and have Keane or Dunne as vice-captain.

Seems to be the best option available...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Given

Kelly O'Brien Dunne Finnan

O'Brien Reid Kavanagh Duff

Keane Doyle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Given

Finnan O'Brien Dunne O'Shea

Reid Kilbane Kavanagh Duff

Keane Doyle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Given
    O'Brien..Dunne..O'Brien..Finnan
    S.Reid..Kavanagh..Ireland..Duff
    Keane..Doyle
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Given

O'Brien Dunne O'Brien O'Shea

Finnan Reid Kavanagh Duff

Keane Doyle
    Never eat yellow snow!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlest Hobo
    Given

O'Brien Dunne O'Brien O'Shea

Finnan Reid Kavanagh Duff

Keane Doyle

These would be the 11 players I'd pick as well. However, I would put Finnan (who is a natural defender) at right back and Joey O'Brien (who is a natural midfielder) on the right side of midfield.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    maybe ireland should not start, at the moment he cant get in the city side. he is, i feel a player with great potential but not a very good player currently. a bit hot and cold, you dont know what performance he is going to turn in. to bring him on for half an hour i feel is the most likely scenario, he needs to improve and rapidly for us, unfair on him, he will be a quality player but hes not as good as some of the other midfielders in the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia
    A few have called for Kavanagh, and I can't see him as a regular first teamer, even though he is playing well at the moment. He must be 33 and I doubt will improve much now.

Like Holland & Kinsella and others he looked much better playing next to Keane.

Better off trying O'Brien there, partnered by Steven Reid. Kavanagh is a great squad player.
    kavanagh does not need to improve, he aint 33 and he is a quality player, saw him today against spurs and he was a match for davids and carrick, a mystery why he has not been in the premiership for the last 5 years, he is a very key player for us, he will start all the games if hes fit, guarenteed

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Some interesting combinations suggested, it's pretty clear which players
    are in virtually every team, I expect we will see some tinkering with perhaps
    a game of two halfs so to speak.
    I am not 100% sure what team I would pick but I guess those who are
    holding down regular first team places in Premiership clubs (that includes
    Reading as far as I am concerned) are going to be pretty hard to leave out
    of the final selection. Thats more than eleven players unfortunately (or fortunately
    depending on how you look at it).
    Anyways I am really loooking forward to the game, just hope I get to see it,
    it's on Sky Sports 2 in the UK but it clashes with and England and Wales game
    so it ain't going to be easy.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would like to see Stephen Elliott get an extended run in the game - fitness permitting. We know what Robbie can do, let him take a rest.

The over-reliance on Duff and Keane is detrimental, and under Kerr there was just no plan B without the lads in the latter games.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    maybe ireland should not start, at the moment he cant get in the city side. he is, i feel a player with great potential but not a very good player currently. a bit hot and cold, you dont know what performance he is going to turn in. to bring him on for half an hour i feel is the most likely scenario, he needs to improve and rapidly for us, unfair on him, he will be a quality player but hes not as good as some of the other midfielders in the squad.
    That's a little unfair on Ireland, you have to remember this is his first season in senior football, and he was only in the side in the first place because Reyna got injured. He impressed so much during his run in the side, that he stayed in the senior squad. He was out of the side recently because he played for the reserves in the Manchester Senior Cup 2 weeks ago, and was on the bench against Villa yesterday. With Riera coming in on loan, Musampa has been moved into central midfield alongside Barton, which was Ireland's position. Musampa's loan is up this summer and I suspect it won't be turned into a permanent move. I expect him to be a match day 16 member (although not necessarily a constant starter) next season. All in all, not bad for a 19 year old.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Exactly how old is steven Ireland? A couple of web sites have him being born in '88 which make him 17 going on 18... Is he that young?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee
    Exactly how old is steven Ireland? A couple of web sites have him being born in '88 which make him 17 going on 18... Is he that young?
    22/08/1986.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Interesting that you think Killer will be in central midfield, as another selection above had aswell. In my view this was the single biggest tactical failing of the last campaign, Paris (against a weakened rookie French midfield) excepted. We simply MUST have someone who can use the ball better than KK in this position. No?

Steve Reid has all of KK's atheltic ability to run, tackle & track back but is far better equipped for a central position. And I hope that Liam Miller was looking at Fabregas' performance on Tuesday just to learn how you don't need to be tough to control the midfield.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast