Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Body Of Moses Found in Eygpt?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Body Of Moses Found in Eygpt?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4700032.stm

A Colleague of mine has recently returned from Egypt. when he came back he claimed to have been told by a tour guide that they had discovered a tomb in recent day's with what they beleived to be the body of Biblical Character Moses. This colleague of mine has devout Christian Beliefs and regularly talks of End of world prophesies etc. so to say we in work were sceptical is to put it mildly. but with the announcement today of a new tomb found in the valley of the king's(see link above) I am starting to wonder? remember where you heard it first

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Moses died in the Siani desert when the Jews were fleeing the egyptian armies. There's absolutely no chance that someone carried his body back into egypt and down the nile to the vally of the kings.

Even if they had, he would not have been buried in a tomb there. He'd be more likely to have been buried in the vally of the traitor slaves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student
    Moses died in the Siani desert when the Jews were fleeing the egyptian armies. There's absolutely no chance that someone carried his body back into egypt and down the nile to the vally of the kings.

Even if they had, he would not have been buried in a tomb there. He'd be more likely to have been buried in the vally of the traitor slaves.
    That's exactly what I've been saying to myself. but i wanted to see if anyone else with more knowledge of the history of the region would shed some light on this. according to my colleague the bible say's something about the body of moses turning up in an unlikely location in the last days! cant say I remember that from religion class in school.be interesting to see the live webcast BBC news are doing on it 3:15 unfortuneately streaming media is blocked in work

He'd be more likely to have been buried in the vally of the traitor slaves
    classic
    Last edited by Block G Raptor; 10/02/2006 at 2:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Maybe he walked down the nile and then tried to part the pyramids, but it went horribly wrong and got crushed to death instead.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor
    ...he claimed to have been told by a tour guide...
    Having been in Egypt I can assure you that the guides love nothing more than telling tall tales!
    It's usually what the tourists want to hear.
    I've no doubt we try the same tricks here with visitors to Ireland.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    Having been in Egypt I can assure you that the guides love nothing more than telling tall tales!
    It's usually what the tourists want to hear.
    I've no doubt we try the same tricks here with visitors to Ireland.
    Sounds likely the bloke was probably boring the guide stupid with all his end of days prophesies to do with the pyramids and the stars. one of his favorites is that fallen angels(nephilm) built them. so the guide just probably start winding him up. he firmly beleives this stuff and never stops talking about it

Still moses or not its an interesting find the first of its kind since tutankamun
    Last edited by Block G Raptor; 10/02/2006 at 3:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

The Sinai desert is in Egypt - though not near the Valley of kings.

There's been a lot of historical revision recently of where Moses supposedly lead the Jews away from the Egyptians. One theory gaining a lot of ground was that it was around the top of the Nile delta, rather than in Sinai, and that the idea of him parting the 'Red Sea' was actually just a mistranslation from the equivalent of 'Reed Sea'. They also tie-in a variety of topographical/meteorlogical evidence to explain the supposed parting of the sea as part of this explanation.

Regardless - the Valley of the Kings is still a long way south of there, and it shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone unearth a body in a place that was used as a burial site !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    the idea of him parting the 'Red Sea' was actually just a mistranslation from the equivalent of 'Reed Sea'.
    Hopefully the words 'red' and 'reed' sound similar in whatever language the bible was written in originally aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Hopefully the words 'red' and 'reed' sound similar in whatever language the bible was written in originally aswell.
    The Old Testament recounts the story of Exodus, and was written in Hebrew (though the Jewish religion itself does not call it the 'Old' Testament, as they don't recognise that there's been another Testament from God since)

'Sea of Reeds' in Hebrew is written 'Yâm-Sûph', whilst 'Red Sea' is written 'Yâm Sûf'. Apparently the 2 are often mistranslated, which isn't surprising considering.

Saw a news article this evening on Sky about that tomb in the Valley of the Kings. No mention at all of who could be in there, as they just don't know at this stage. Moses my arse. Block G - I bet if your mate was Muslim that Egyptian fella would've told him it was Mohammad....

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    So how do they figure it was Moses? Did he have a tombstone saying "Moses. Born 340 BC, died 260BC"? Or was it the family photograph of the rod turning into a snake that did it?

Quite amazing they made the discovery so close to the Tutenkhamun tomb though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    So how do they figure it was Moses? Did he have a tombstone saying "Moses. Born 340 BC, died 260BC"? Or was it the family photograph of the rod turning into a snake that did it?

Quite amazing they made the discovery so close to the Tutenkhamun tomb though.
    I didn't think they had camera's back then. Student me arse..
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor
    "...Egypt's chief archaeologist Zahi Hawass told Reuters news agency the mummies "might be royals or nobles moved from their original graves to protect them from grave robbers".
    "We don't really know what kind of people are inside but I do believe they look royal. Maybe they are kings or queens or nobles," he said.

Hawass is suggesting the mummies are older than the 18th Dynasty tomb. Mummies on display in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo were previuosly found in the front of newer tombs.
    http://www.egyptianmuseum.com/mummies.html
    "...Around three thousand years ago, Egypt suffered from invasions and civil war. During that time, the Valley of the Kings was devastated by robbers, and by bureaucrats, anxious to recycle the golden treasures of the past to pay the expenses of the current kings. At this time, royal mummies were shifted from place to place and from coffin to coffin, often ending up, denuded of their jewels and fine wrappings, damaged, in the reused coffins of commoners...."

To clear up that niggling "where is the prophet Moses buried?"
    The main theory is he died on Mt. Nebo looking at the Land of Milk and Honey on the Right Bank of the River Jordan. http://198.62.75.1/www1/ofm/fai/FAInebo1.html

His original grave was lost to time, luckily Salah ad Din (of opposing Crusader fame - Kurdish to boot) had a dream where Moses's grave was revealed and he built a mosque on the site, on hilltop on the opposite side of the Jordan. Which was extended by both Baibers (another anti-Crusader hero) and the Ottomans.
    http://www.atlastours.net/holyland/nabi_musa.html

I recommend walking in the area (Bethlehem Wilderness) it's incredibly. There are Orthodox Monastries dotted around, plenty of desert and canyon trails and the oldest town in the world Jericho is a couple of kilometres away. http://www.jericho-city.org/historical.html

one last reference to Moses, is Wadi Musa and the old Nabatean town of Petra in Jordan. Moses and his brother Aaron, who led the Exodus after Moses hopped around Wadi Musa for a time. Aaron is buried on top another mountain. Jbel Haron of course.
    http://holysites.com/wadimusa.htm (No pics of Petra on Webpage)
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I have a very funny cartoon** about Moses emailed to me but I don't know how to bring it over to this thread..............

**uh, oooooooh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish
    I didn't think they had camera's back then. Student me arse..
    I don't think they gave their dates as BC either.

Grown-Up me arse!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Yeah, I didn't think so either, but then someone who's really credulous about such things said that he'd been told in a dream by someone he'd never seen before that they did have cameras and give dates as BC, so I'm convinced now.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Moses ( GOD REST HIS SOUL) was brutal at navigating.
    Didn't they get lost in the Sinai for something like 40 years?
    I mean I know it's a bit sizeable but it's not exactly the Sahara!

As regards being buried in the Valley Of The Kings wasn't he like raised with the Pharoah's son?
    As I recall it was the Pharoah's daughter or handmaid or somebody who found him in the basket near the reeds in the river.
    Long time since I read that book but there you go.
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 16/02/2006 at 10:03 AM.