Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deaths on Irish roads are the fault of the public (drivers) and not the Government

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Deaths on Irish roads are the fault of the public (drivers) and not the Government

discuss.........
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Obviously people are responsible for their own behaviour.

However the government is failing grossly in its own public duty. The government statement is like say street muggings are the fault of irish people & no blame to the state for not policing the streets.

Anyone have a link to the quote...?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i hope the name says it all, people roar and shout that the Government should do this that and the other to lower road deaths,

BUT

should we as drivers not slow down, take care on the roads, don't drink drive. follow the rules of the road and if an "L" driver keep within the rules that licence sets out.....no motorways or driving alone when you should have a fully qualified driver with them.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dont see the point in the whole Full licence driver sitting in the passenger seat with a learner what are they going to do grab the controls in the split second it takes to have a crash, Perleeeeeease !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A reasonably low-cost solution which has greatly reduced road deaths in countries such as Sweden and New Zealand should be implemented here instead of throwing money at more cops, random breath tests, etc.

Introduce barriers in the middle of the road so that over-taking becomes impossible (most accidents are caused by over-taking) and every 5-10km have an overtaking lane. I lived in NZ and the overtaking lane is a great idea - it really reduces the number of people trying risky over-taking manouvers.

Its a relatively low-cost solution and hugely successful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by max power
    if an "L" driver keep within the rules that licence sets out.....no motorways or driving alone when you should have a fully qualified driver with them.
    If there wasn't a 12 month waiting list for driving tests this might be feasable. Government are certainly at fault here.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    If there wasn't a 12 month waiting list for driving tests this might be feasable. Government are certainly at fault here.
    agreed, but that is not the 1st time that has happened, wasn't there a driving licence amnesty in the 80's ???

but i must admit, i dont drink drive because i need my licence for my business, not out of any social pressure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    but i must admit, i dont drink drive because i need my licence for my business, not out of any social pressure.
    I don't drink drive so that I don't kill anyone - no other reason.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    but if we lived in an honest society and not a PC one you would get more answers such as mine, i also speed, i have a full clean licence, because i have never been caught.

but a lot of drivers dont know the basic rules of the road, such as using roundabouts, yellow boxes, indicators etc. a lot of these casue accidents.

add to that cyclist who think traffic lights are there becasue the colours are nice and that lights on bikes are not needed.

the there are the people who just walk where they want cause " ah sure they'll see me and stop"

as a socity we are mad we have no thoughts of how our actions on the roads will effect others.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    All full licence holders have come through the dodgy provisional licence laws so no higher ground here. However I do believe the manner in which you are able to drive unlicenced (have either never sat or have failed a driving test) directly contributes to how we as a society treat driving.

Theres nothing done well on irish roads.

- Speeding laws not enforced by gardai (shooting turkeys on motorway culture).
    - Drinking driving laws not enforced.
    - Road surfacing not acceptable.
    - Road signage inconsistent or non-existent.
    - Full licence test too easy
    - No requirement to pass a test to drive on roads.
    - Irish drivers do not know what an overtaking lane is.

I could go on...

Bring back Rocketman!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    All full licence holders have come through the dodgy provisional licence laws so no higher ground here. However I do believe the manner in which you are able to drive unlicenced (have either never sat or have failed a driving test) directly contributes to how we as a society treat driving.

Theres nothing done well on irish roads.

- Speeding laws not enforced by gardai (shooting turkeys on motorway culture).
    - Drinking driving laws not enforced.
    - Road surfacing not acceptable.
    - Road signage inconsistent or non-existent.
    - Full licence test too easy
    - No requirement to pass a test to drive on roads.
    - Irish drivers do not know what an overtaking lane is.

I could go on...

drink driving not enforced.....but your not meant to drink drink, its not the governments fault if you drink and get into your car....its yours.

the same with speeding, its your choice to put your foot down.

overtaking lane.....more like "sit in and annoy other drivers lane"

the state of the r roads in the country is a disgrace and the full licence test is easy i do agree.

and the idea that you can drive as long as you like on a green licence is a joke.

but the deaths are mainly caused by speed and drinking, both are a personal choice by drivers, that is where the blame lies on the deaths issue.

a lack of road signs doesn't cause 58 deaths so far this year or does the overtaking lane, personal choices by drivers has in a lot of cases.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    learning to drive and learning to pass a test are two very different thing. Start them young while in school and get this sorted once and for all. Gov responsability as the are the legislators.

Failing your test and being able to drive home that is a joke.
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It is drivers' responsibilty to slow down take more care etc and you can say it's ALL up to drivers but the government can't sherk their responsibilty by putting the onus on drivers at the top of there lists of solutions to road deaths. The fcuking cheek of them!

But where would society be without any laws & enforcement of them. The government need to get the finger out. Whatever it takes, give the gardai whatever they need to police the roads, get the points system working efficiently and get the courts moving. An awful amount of drink-driving charges for example have been struck out of court in recent years because the system was/is being successfully challenged on technical issues!!
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dricky
    learning to drive and learning to pass a test are two very different thing. Start them young while in school and get this sorted once and for all. Gov responsability as the are the legislators.

Failing your test and being able to drive home that is a joke.

Exactly - people learn how to pass the test rather than how to drive!

(it does make sense,think about it!)
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    ...its not the governments fault if you drink and get into your car....its yours.
    Thats obviously true but its human nature to do things that are bad unless some legal consequence.

You have a 200/1 chance of being breathalysed on any given year. Given we have maybe 50 years of driving each that means only 1 in 4 of us will be breathalysed in our lifetime.

Very few people make link between driving at 55mph (instead of 50) & accidents. If there was a good chance guards would catch me at 55mph then i wouldn't do it.

I've tracked this for years & for years the NRA refused to admit that central barriers on motorways was required dispite being out of touch with basically the whole western world. They used to quote 30 year old US research to backup their case. Noticed how they have started to retro-fit motorways with central median barriers? Ever wonder why they doing that? How can it have been deemed safe to law the road without barriers & suddenly they required? That is the state (civil servants to blame there not political parties) linked to ignorance we all are dealing with...

This can be debated to death but truth is this state does not take the road infrastructure & driving seriously.

Bring back Rocketman!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    This Government has to take responsibility for the numbers of unqualified drivers on the road, the state of the roads, the lack of enforcement overnight on regional roads (as opposed to fish in a barrell day time checks on motorways/dual carriageways). They've been in power since 1997, and no progress has been made - afterall this time the solution is still Drivers have to take responsibility.

Until they have lock down on country roads around nightclubs fook all is going to change. It's the combination of speed and drink and bravado at 2-3am that is a cause of a lot of accidents imo. (The farmers having their couple of pints and driving home cause fook all accidents as far as I can see, so not even as simple as simply drink driving).

What is done about it? A load of penalty point offences that target rush hour drivers, no doubt a Garda clampdown that will result in huge numbers of fish in a barrell speed traps to get detection numbers up, and a claim by Cullen that progress is being made....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    This Government has to take responsibility for the numbers of unqualified drivers on the road, the state of the roads, the lack of enforcement overnight on regional roads (as opposed to fish in a barrell day time checks on motorways/dual carriageways). They've been in power since 1997, and no progress has been made - afterall this time the solution is still Drivers have to take responsibility.

Until they have lock down on country roads around nightclubs fook all is going to change. It's the combination of speed and drink and bravado at 2-3am that is a cause of a lot of accidents imo. (The farmers having their couple of pints and driving home cause fook all accidents as far as I can see, so not even as simple as simply drink driving).

What is done about it? A load of penalty point offences that target rush hour drivers, no doubt a Garda clampdown that will result in huge numbers of fish in a barrell speed traps to get detection numbers up, and a claim by Cullen that progress is being made....
    all valid points macy but i still have to come back to our attitudes on the road, the drink driving and speeding issues, as bad as i think cullen is, he doesn't pile pints into me or press my foot down on the pedal. that are personal choices.

the nct has made cars safer ( and the government money ) the penalty points has reduced insurance costs on motorists with some getting an amount off for having no points, PP havre slowed me down, if it was just a fine i wouldn't care but the points and the chance of losing my licence does.

the R roads need vast improvments not only on their structure but also on their speed limits, there are R roads where you can do 100km but honestly if you went over 60 you'd be in a ditch, yet you are driving within the legal parameters set out, its mad

also as soemone who is on our raods at 2 and 3 am weekly i can say i have honestly been stopped at a garda checkpoint once in 10 years. But i have been stopped early evening cheaking for tax and insurance ( not killers i think ) which of course are the money makers which is where the additude is at the moment in the powers that be, BIG numbers that look good on paper in stats and increase the amount of money brought in every year,

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    We could say murder was the responsibility of the citizens of the state not to kill people but we still have gardai to catch the offenders.

It took this government 7 years to implement a very basic penalty points system - they say it rule & ledger approach. I don't understand the apparent disinterest in improving things. I can't just be about money? There are no lobby groups (exclusion of tester unions) opposed to change that i can see...?

Bring back Rocketman!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Someone here mentions start them young. Good idea. In New York they can drive at 16 provided they pass a vision and written test to get a learner permit. After this they must do a mandatory driver education course and when they get their certificate from this only then do they get to do the road test.

I cant be sure but I think they study driving in school there.

Contrast to here as when I wanted an extra form of ID I just bought a provisional license without any test

Also in the states some cars have the seat belts come across you automatically. An idea for all cars sold here but this would involve years of red tape through the EU etc.

The Rules of the Road here are a decade out of date which is a disgrace.

Incredibly full driver licenses were actually sold, I think, in the 60s. Whatever minister brought that in has blood on his hands.

KOH

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    There are no lobby groups (exclusion of tester unions) opposed to change that i can see...?
    Even the tester unions aren't opposed. They're opposed to permenant outsourcing, and made a suggestion for an alternative solution, but they see the need for clearing the backlog. What's holding up is the Government embargo on public service recruitment, and Cullen's insistance on trying to privatise it. Putting his PD principle's above lives.

also as soemone who is on our raods at 2 and 3 am weekly i can say i have honestly been stopped at a garda checkpoint once in 10 years. But i have been stopped early evening cheaking for tax and insurance ( not killers i think ) which of course are the money makers which is where the additude is at the moment in the powers that be, BIG numbers that look good on paper in stats and increase the amount of money brought in every year,
    This is the problem, and a direct result of Government policy. The only relevant measure of road safety is road deaths. The number of speed checks, convictions, penalty points issued are irrelevant. Until the Government (actually the whole political establishment) and the Gards accept this nothing will change in enforcement.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast