Thread: Irish Daily Mail

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Irish Daily Mail

RTE

Launch last monday. Anyone read it? Is it as right-wing as its UK sister paper?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'd a bit of a look at it Monday. Some well-written articles on the top irish stories in the first few pages.
    Also a brilliant section for puzzles if you're into that thing.
    A lot of stuff taken from the british version though and a lot of showbiz gossip if you're into that.
    Their front page was Michael Flatley talking about himself.
    So if its strange versions of sudoku and titilating famous sex stories you might have a new friend in this paper.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Risteard
    I'd a bit of a look at it Monday. Some well-written articles on the top irish stories in the first few pages.
    Also a brilliant section for puzzles if you're into that thing.
    A lot of stuff taken from the british version though and a lot of showbiz gossip if you're into that.
    Their front page was Michael Flatley talking about himself.
    So if its strange versions of sudoku and titilating famous sex stories you might have a new friend in this paper.

Thx - you've saved me the euro or so to staisfy my curiosity
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Yet another identity-switch by a Brituish paper looking to make a few more bobn from the same stuff that they sell in England.

The Mail in England has consistently been what could fairly be described as anti-Irish. I remember distinctly an attack it launched some years back upon EU Agricultural Commissioner Padraig Flynn (a distant relative of my mother). Rather than criticise him forn his policies and approach, the attack was almost solely and totally based upon the fact that he was Irish. Stereotyping along the lines of 'what would that aul eejit from the bogs of the back of beyond in Ireland know about anythign anyway'. Shameful.

Sad thing is the Irish will buy this rubbish - like they do with the Sun. In case anyone is under any illusions about how 'Irish' these English tabloids are when they come over, check out the cover of both the English and Irish Sun from back when the IRA decommissioned. The Irish version had a photograph saying something along the lines of 'Peace at Last'. The English one had the same photo, but said 'Surrender'. They're instinctively right-wing and English, but will pat the Irish on the head and tell them something different if it makes them a few more quid. Don't buy them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The right-wing anti-Irish newspaper decides to set up in Ireland. They can take their racist views and propoganda back to Britain with them.

Another rag in the collection of rag Irish newspapers. Not good enough to wipe my arse with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    maybe it is english people living in Ireland who are buying it?
    would easily be in the hundreds of thousands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    maybe it is english people living in Ireland who are buying it?
    would easily be in the hundreds of thousands.
    It's not aimed at the English in Ireland. If it was, the market would be too small and they wouldn't need to go to the expense of altering the content at all. It's clearly being marketed to the Paddies. Who undoubtedly will buy it....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well that story about Sam McGuire being brought for a lap of honour in Celtic Park etc in their Sunday version (Mail on Sunday) was a load of rubbish, taking a sizable dig at the Oirish....
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    It's not aimed at the English in Ireland. If it was, the market would be too small and they wouldn't need to go to the expense of altering the content at all. It's clearly being marketed to the Paddies. Who undoubtedly will buy it....
    yeah I know that it is not aimed at them but it might account for the sales figures of 10,000 posted in another thread.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    If i'm correct the Daily Mail is well known for being huge fans of the royalty & sterling. Also very anti immigrant so will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to latch nto that here.

I wonder why they didn't give the paper a new title avoiding comparison with the Daily Mail...?

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    If i'm correct the Daily Mail is well known for being huge fans of the royalty & sterling. Also very anti immigrant so will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to latch nto that here.

I wonder why they didn't give the paper a new title avoiding comparison with the Daily Mail...?
    Because they don't need to ! Why go to the hassle and expense of establishing a new brand in a highly competitive marketplace like newspapers, when you know the stupid Irish will give you their money to buy the original brand anyway !?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It seems YOU are more anti irish than the daily mail!!!!!!!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I had my anti mail rant on the Brian Kerr piece in the Irish football forum, so do not want to duplicate posts. However, the Daily Mail deserves all the negative feedback it gets. I cant see a copy of the English version in the office today but if there was I would be happy to point out a few of its "articles". Stay well away from it please. Nothing upsets me more than that rag,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    read the free one i was given on its first day.

majority of the content is english, esp in the middle.

very female oriented, trying to lure the ladies away from a vunerable indo. 2 pages and editorial on emily o'reilly refinding god and how more successful women should do this blah blah. big 'family values' theme.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    Because they don't need to ! Why go to the hassle and expense of establishing a new brand in a highly competitive marketplace like newspapers, when you know the stupid Irish will give you their money to buy the original brand anyway !?
    Clearly not many irish people familiar with the type of trash the Daily Mail comes out with in the UK. Worked with a guy who used to buy (he claimed was for the sports) as he used to live in the Uk years ago. I used to slag him off about his liking for royalty. I remember they had a poll for retention of the pound & only 3% voted against as was preaching to the converted.

Daily Mail - love the royals, hate immigrants, love the pound, hate europe.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thumbs down

According to the Guardian media section (a few weeks ago) where it gives 'paper sales, bulks etc - it mentioned that Associated Newspaper's (Daily Mail owners) huge investment in 'Ireland on Sunday' was met by fairly encouraging sales but making massive losses and might have peaked and be in decline. It's figures are also "bumped up" by peaks when they gave out free (and crap) CDs, mags etc.
    So, if Ass. Newspapers is making massive losses, changing editors and so on, it might appear that this Sunday's days are numbered. Ditto their weekday sister 'paper.

Hopefully soon. IOS is a distinctly unpleasant 'paper and has had distinctly unpleasant editors. This new 'paper - like the other Oirish rags - will only hurry the rush to the bottom, standards-wise.

I notice down here that the numbers of IOS - UNSOLD - appears to increase every week, even when it has free CDs. Newsagents have told me they're sick of cutting the tops off** the bigger and bigger piles which grow each Sunday and are demanding smaller amounts of the 'paper but mounds of them are still dumped despite their requests.

It would be great to see new Irish-controlled newspapers (Tony O'Reilly excepted) here but I've always been amazed why the Guardian/Observer has never opened a proper Irish edition. It has a fine record of truth, fairness and objectivity on Irish matters - especially at the height of "the troubles", when it got wholesale abuse from both other media and Tories for its stance on the evidence regarding Birmingham Six/Guildford Four/Anti-Terrorism Act affairs etc - has had many Irish journalists over the years (remember the recent Iraqi kidnapping) and so on.

Just look at the pathetic attemptes of the Sunday Tribune attempting to copy it.

Anyway, newspaper sales are starting to decline due to the internet so it's amazing people are still willing to even start up new newspapers anywhere except the African continent where newspaper sales and readership are increasing (less access to the net I guess).

**For the few that mightn't know, newsagents cut the masthead/date off the top of each unsold newspaper and return this to the distributor/newspaper as an unsold copy.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    It would be great to see new Irish-controlled newspapers (Tony O'Reilly excepted) here but I've always been amazed why the Guardian/Observer has never opened a proper Irish edition. It has a fine record of truth, fairness and objectivity on Irish matters - especially at the height of "the troubles", when it got wholesale abuse from both other media and Tories for its stance on the evidence regarding Birmingham Six/Guildford Four/Anti-Terrorism Act affairs etc - has had many Irish journalists over the years (remember the recent Iraqi kidnapping) and so on.

Just look at the pathetic attemptes of the Sunday Tribune attempting to copy it.
    Have heard some nasty stories about the way IOS treat their staff & manner they go about getting stories. Even the established anglo-irish tabloids never don't stoop as low.

I still get the Tribune sometimes but more out of habit than anything else.

Was talk before of the Examiner or the Irish Times going a sunday paper but heard nothing on recently.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    See the Daily Mail tv ads? "most of all they like the strong family values"

Family Values = right wing crap. To be avoided methinks
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I also noticed the "we will tell you what you thinking...not what to think..." to which i associate with "...immigrant sponger..." stories...

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    It seems YOU are more anti irish than the daily mail!!!!!!!!!
    It's called parody Klein4....

And hardly, given some of the stuff the Mail has gone on-record as saying.

And besides - anyone Irish who buys an inherently anti-Irish rag like the Daily Mail is self-evidently stupid. What next - turkeys buying shares in Bernard Matthews ??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast