Thread: Stephen Hunt

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    Who cares where he was before hand?
    Exactly, don't matter if he played in the Phoenix park previous. Also don't matter that he older as the question is whether he is good enough now or not. Ireland don't have luxury of riches that can discount players over 25.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Brilliant extended interview with Hunt on Sky Sports this afternoon. He came across really well. This lad deserves a break.
    Does he have an Irish granny anywhere so Stan might take an interest?
    Out fishing again hey? Not biting this time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Brilliant extended interview with Hunt on Sky Sports this afternoon. He came across really well. This lad deserves a break.
    Does he have an Irish granny anywhere so Stan might take an interest?
    Born in Laois, From Waterford. Should be no need. Saw the interview too, came across well. Very honest, down to earth,hard worker, likes to keep the head down. Deserves a shot at the big time with Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    His brother's playing in Scotland. Maybe we'll poach him.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down Stephen Hunt, do you Rate Him??

Alot of people are saying to include him in the Irish team, I for one am not convinced...Granted he plays with his heart on his sleeve, and gives 100% and has become a fixture in a Reading side that has impressed this season!!

But i think he is technically inept and hasnt the talent to succeed at international level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    hard to say - be good to see him live-which I haven't

soem friendly action would be interesting. I can't see him being first team choice but we need depth obviously and he is playing weekly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From the limited amount of times I've seen him (never in the flesh though), I didn't see anything that would make him an international player.

Certainly I'd have him in the squad ahead of the likes of Alan "yeah but he's fast" O'Brien but I don't think he'd improve the squad or bring anything different at all.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down

Maybe if we want to take the opposition keeper out of the game in the first 5 mins then maybe he could be an option..........................
    CAPTAIN MORGANS GREENFORD Welcomes all Irish Football fans, live music every weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ha ha... maybe we could get Sonko to declare for ireland aswell and he could pummell the replacement keeper

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Alot of people are saying to include him in the Irish team, I for one am not convinced...Granted he plays with his heart on his sleeve, and gives 100% and has become a fixture in a Reading side that has impressed this season!!

But i think he is technically inept and hasnt the talent to succeed at international level
    Who are the "lot of people"? I have only seen him on TV and his performances have been average. I haven't read or heard of any call to include him in the international side.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    From what I've seen no but Reading are on live on RTE2 tomorrow so will have another gander.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    In fairness he has done really well this season, definitely improved immeasurably. Showed a few nice touches, set up a few goals, tested keepers(no pun intended) and had an impact on games. I think he's probably worth a place in the squad, for the competition if nothing else. Steve Coppell claimed he was dropped for the Chelsea game because he hadn't been up to the high standards he'd set himself during the season with his recent performances...Eh, could be true or pure fabrication. So dunno if we'll get a decent look at him cheifo. I'd definitely like to see him for 90 minutes though.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    i like Hunt, and think he should get a call up, he is a live wire, gets stuck in and is exactly what Ireland need at the moment, since our current midfield is weak, i mean kilbane and kavanagh FFS
    and he does have some nice touches as well
    not bad for his first season in the EPL

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I agree with everything bennocelt has said here. Give the lad a go. He has played better than Duff this season for one and it's just a formality that he plays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Definitely worth a place in the squad, but can't see him as more than a fringe player for the team at this stage.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    Certainly I'd have him in the squad ahead of the likes of Alan "yeah but he's fast" O'Brien but I don't think he'd improve the squad or bring anything different at all.
    ... no contest over a 100 yards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Living close to Brentford and seeing a dozen or fifteen of their matches each season, I've seen a fair bit of Hunt's career since he first broke through with the Bees.
    In terms of ability, I'd say he was one of the better players in a Brentford team which made the League One playoffs three times in four seasons. As such, I've no doubt he's too good for that Division.
    That said, comparing him with the very best players at Griffin Park (inc. Sidwell, Sonko and Sodje - also all at Reading), I fear he's just a little bit behind them, so I'd rate him as a very decent Championship player, but not quite good enough to feature as a regular in any Premiership team.
    However, I also get the impression that his attitude is a very good one. When he first broke through at Griffin Park he had a reputation as a bit of a joker, but he always gave 100% effort.
    During his last season he made it clear he wasn't going to sign a new contract and with Steve Coppell and his Assistant Wally Downes both being ex-Brentford managers, it wasn't too hard to guess where he might end up!
    Consequently, Bees manager Martin Allen said that in such circumstances, he was going to concentrate on other players who were committed to the club. As it happens, the youngster who usually stepped into Hunt's position was Jay Tabb - also ROI qualified.
    In fact, due to injuries and suspensions etc, Allen had to pick Hunt more than he had anticipated, but he subsequently acknowledged that Hunt's attitude remained top-class, always giving maximum effort now that he was merely a squad member and Hunt remained popular with the fans, which is always a good sign.

As regards Hunt's ROI prospects, I'd have to say that up until a year or two ago, he wouldn't have been good enough even to get into a squad, never mind pick up full caps.
    That said, the squad is much thinner than it was previously. More to the point, it appears to me to be suffering from a number of talented (club) players who are seriously under-performing at international level.
    I feel Staunton should take a leaf out of Sanchez book and pick players first and foremost for their attitude and commitment. This would both throw down the gauntlet to the "Big Time Charlies" and also serve as encouragement for the younger players.
    In Hunt's case, I would pick him on the left hand side of midfield. He might never star, but neither would he let you down (imo). This would also send out a clear message to salad-dodger Andy Reid* to lay off the pies and get fit.
    Alternatively, it could fill the position until Jay Tabb was ready in another year or two. I know Tabb's career seems to have stalled somewhat at Coventry, but Mickey Adams is also an ex-Brentford manager (!), so he knows what Tabb can do and he rates him very highly.

* - I'm a Spurs fan and I saw what a disgrace Reid was at WHL before they got fed up and shipped him out to Charlton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    * - I'm a Spurs fan and I saw what a disgrace Reid was at WHL before they got fed up and shipped him out to Charlton.
    I wonder what it'll take for people to realise Reid isn't overweight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I wonder what it'll take for people to realise Reid isn't overweight.
    His losing half a stone would be a start...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    His losing half a stone would be a start...
    I think most people on this forum now realise that Reid isn't overweight. The jokes got a bit old about 2 years ago.

Some have suggested that Reid has been functioning on that skill alone, that he was developing a physique more suited to a casual game of cricket than Premiership football. Even when he couldn't make the team at Tottenham, the managerial staff at White Hart Lane defended him against such claims, insisting he was in the top two or three trainers at the club.

"People who say that don't understand the game," Reid insists. "We do a lot of the Prozone stuff and if anybody wants to check the stats, you'll see that I do as much if not more running than anyone on the pitch."

But the talk persists. "It comes from the build that I have. Things like that don't bother me. I know what I do on the pitch and I know I do the right things. The managers I played under know I do and as long as my manager here and my international manager know what I can do, that's all that matters to me."

Reid spent the summer determined to end all criticism. He worked hard before the season began and Tottenham - having lost out on Damien Duff - were ready to start with him on the left. Then came an injury and soon there was a bid from Charlton.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast